• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage 18: Belluno - Rifugio Panarotta (Valsugana) 171 km

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
christopherrowe said:
I hadn't even noticed that Ivan Santaromita didn't take the start. Tuft and Hepburn now the only remaining Orica GreenEdge riders and they both finished with the last group on the road, over half an hour down. I hope they both make it to Trieste, it would be a shame after the first week they had if they didn't have anybody cross the final finish line.

I guess the team already had such a good first week they don't really care about doing anything for the rest of the race anymore.

Tuft will surly finish unless he crashes out. He's not the kind to leave GT's early.

damian13ster said:
You people and your assumptions..... Look at facts! Aru distanced him, he didnt follow Rolland (although later caught). You can speculate whether he was saving himself or not but if he was true champion he would show he is clearly the best and isnt in the lead only by cheating and/or terrible communication from race directors. He didnt do that, but did his best Valverde impression

...or he was saving his energies for stages that could really matter. Why waste energy pursuing Rolland or Aru who are minutes back and aren't likely to be of the slightest threat in the itt? If it had been Uran then, chasing him down would've been a necessity. You're clouded by your own bias and your seeming inability to see a perspective other than your own. Not even the possibility of there being another reason for this particular rider's decisions.
Get over yourself!

I just stepped back from the stage-by-stage shuffling to look at the big picture and what immediately stood out (besides the rise of Colombia) is the
1. Fading of Spain (12 riders started, top guy 40+ mins adrift), and the
2. Non-existence of USA (only 2 riders started, Slovenia had double that), and UK (one starter, Swift).

This Giro has been real entertaining, especially compared to 2013, where it basically ended in between Stages 9 - 11, when Ryder & Wiggo fell back, Uran took their place, and Nibali secured the victory. It was over.

2012 was also formulaic; by the time they got out of Denmark and on Italian soil, Ryder was 4th. By Stage 7 he was 1st for a couple stages, let Katusha do all the work for a couple weeks, then grabbed back the rosa.

2011; Contador secured the victory on Stage 9. 2010: Basso boring.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
MotorRouleur said:
I just stepped back from the stage-by-stage shuffling to look at the big picture and what immediately stood out (besides the rise of Colombia) is the
2. Non-existence of USA (only 2 riders started, Slovenia had double that), and UK (one starter, Swift).

This Giro has been real entertaining, especially compared to 2013, where it basically ended in between Stages 9 - 11, when Ryder & Wiggo fell back, Uran took their place, and Nibali secured the victory. It was over.

2012 was also formulaic; by the time they got out of Denmark and on Italian soil, Ryder was 4th. By Stage 7 he was 1st for a couple stages, let Katusha do all the work for a couple weeks, then grabbed back the rosa.

Without discussing the rest of your post, did you really just claim the 2010 Giro was boring? Or are you saying that Basso is boring?

Ospina standings Stage 18

Again, my own standings with a 1 minute 30 sec penalty for Nairo,Pierrer & Ryder.

1. Nairo Quintana 77:59:38
2. Rigoberto Uran +0:00:11
3. (TIE) Fabio Aru +0:02:01 (+1)
3. (TIE) Rafal Majka +0:02:01 (+1)
5. Domenico Pozzovivo +0:02:22 (+1)
6. Wilko Kelderman +0:03:07 (+2)
7. (TIE) Cadel Evans +0:03:29 (+2)

7. (TIE) Pierre Rolland +0:03:29 (-4)
9. Ryder Hesjedal +0:04:32(-2)

10 Robert KISERLOVSKI +0:07:03
11 Alexis VUILLERMOZ +0:14:28
12 Alexandre GENIEZ +0:17:48
13 Ivan BASSO +0:19:55
14 Maxime MONFORT +0:23:46
15 Franco PELLIZOTTI +0:25:34
16 Hubert DUPONT +0:26:45
17 Matteo RABOTTINI +0:28:23
18 Damiano CUNEGO +0:37:48
19 Andre CARDOSO +0:39:12
20 Michael ROGERS +0:40:08

MotorRouleur said:
Yea, but just wait to the Tour, when Spain and the UK will be back with a vengeance. Rumours of their demise are greatly exaggerated, and quite often top Spaniards give the Giro a miss. Euskaltel used to hand back their invite (though when they did take it up, in 2011, it was amazing), and Abarcá had a tendency to send an odds-and-ends lineup to be led by someone like Bruseghin or Arroyo and go stagehunting. Remember Movistar are the only Spanish squad now, and though he's not Spanish, they do have the race leader.

2013 was dull in a similar way to 2011 in that the rider in the maglia rosa was so comfortable it didn't matter; in 2011 that was because Contador was the most dominant at a GT we've seen since Basso in 2006, and in 2013 that was because some of the toughest mountain stages were neutralised and some of the big contenders collapsed abysmally (Hesjedal's Giro defence being only marginally better than Cobo's Vuelta defence, since although Cobo finished, Hesjedal looked like he was up for it in a couple of early stages, and of course Wiggins' painful descending and exit). The 2012 race was marred by some of the most woeful defensive racing known to man.

2010 on the other hand was the best GT of a generation.

gospina said:
Again, my own standings with a 1 minute 30 sec penalty for Nairo,Pierrer & Ryder.

1. Nairo Quintana 77:59:38
2. Rigoberto Uran +0:00:11
3. (TIE) Fabio Aru +0:02:01 (+1)
3. (TIE) Rafal Majka +0:02:01 (+1)
5. Domenico Pozzovivo +0:02:22 (+1)
6. Wilko Kelderman +0:03:07 (+2)
7. (TIE) Cadel Evans +0:03:29 (+2)

7. (TIE) Pierre Rolland +0:03:29 (-4)
9. Ryder Hesjedal +0:04:32(-2)

10 Robert KISERLOVSKI +0:07:03
11 Alexis VUILLERMOZ +0:14:28
12 Alexandre GENIEZ +0:17:48
13 Ivan BASSO +0:19:55
14 Maxime MONFORT +0:23:46
15 Franco PELLIZOTTI +0:25:34
16 Hubert DUPONT +0:26:45
17 Matteo RABOTTINI +0:28:23
18 Damiano CUNEGO +0:37:48
19 Andre CARDOSO +0:39:12
20 Michael ROGERS +0:40:08

Interesting to see, although we can still just speculate about scenario if all riders arrived in the same group to the bottom of Van Martello. One question though. Why did you use 1m30s if teams agreed to 2m?

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Kokoso said:
Lol another Colombian fanboy :rolleyes:

So what?Thats your constructive answer?
You just dont want to admit,that ryo had knowledge to predict actual situation and thats rather pathetic cuz true man would admit even he doesnt like ceratin person.
I see you are on the forum from 2012 where it was a bit obvious for lot of people that colombia will dominate cycling.But he claimed this thing from late 2010 at least,this has something to do with knowledge not any freakin luck.And you dont want to admit it cuz of your prejudice.

Escarabajo said:
He is done with GT's. People need to realize that now. I hope.

Yes. But I think even Cadel himself will now know and accept that. He has said many times his goal for this Giro was to return to "his normal level". I am sure he now knows his normal level is no longer enough to compete for GC. But I don't think he knew for sure until a few days ago.

I think the writing has been on the wall for some time. I realistically thought the 2011 Tour was his last real chance at a Tour win. Yes, he podiumed last year's Giro, but just like this year he was fading in the mountains in the final week and was lucky to hold on to that due to the cancelled stage and the removal of climbs from other stages; he lost a couple of minutes each on Polsa and Tre Cime. And while he's having a better year on paper, take the Tour Down Under out of it and it's clear he's a year older and unfortunately for him his recovery is suffering at this point.

Cookster15 said:
Yes. But I think even Cadel himself will now know and accept that. He has said many times his goal for this Giro was to return to "his normal level". I am sure he now knows his normal level is no longer enough to compete for GC. But I don't think he knew for sure until a few days ago.

Alas, the Australian press hasn't heard the news yet.

"Cadel Evans may pedal on for Vuelta a Espana"

Libertine Seguros said:
I think the writing has been on the wall for some time. I realistically thought the 2011 Tour was his last real chance at a Tour win. Yes, he podiumed last year's Giro, but just like this year he was fading in the mountains in the final week and was lucky to hold on to that due to the cancelled stage and the removal of climbs from other stages; he lost a couple of minutes each on Polsa and Tre Cime. And while he's having a better year on paper, take the Tour Down Under out of it and it's clear he's a year older and unfortunately for him his recovery is suffering at this point.

Well said. As fans it is hard to take at first but we can still reflect on what our favorite riders achieved when in their prime. Evans has had a great career, nobody can take that away from him and I am sure he will still give 100% until the end of this Giro. It is a big gap to 10th so he should be able to finish in 9th spot.

I am happy for Quintana though, I like him. I think he will assume the position in many fans hearts that Contador once held.

Cookster15 said:
Well said. As fans it is hard to take at first but we can still reflect on what our favorite riders achieved when in their prime. Evans has had a great career, nobody can take that away from him and I am sure he will still give 100% until the end of this Giro. It is a big gap to 10th so he should be able to finish in 9th spot.

I am happy for Quintana though, I like him. I think he will assume the position in many fans hearts that Contador once held.

The thing with Evans is, he nearly missed out. He raced too timidly when he was at his real peak age, and came out of his shell almost too late to assemble the palmarès his talent deserved. I thought he'd missed out because his abilities were starting to head downhill at the same time as his racing style became less about following and blaming others when chances went begging, and more about taking responsibility and truly leading; I thought especially after the 2010 Giro where he had done everything you could ask of a racer to maximise his chances of winning but faded away, that his time had come and gone. It was a running theme on the board, Evans vs. Menchov, who would you rather be, with both being similar GT talents, Evans being stronger in one-day racing and short stage races, but with Evans having dozens of podiums and placements but Menchov having three GTs. And I think you saw that in the 2011 Tour, when Evans was taking sole responsibility for dragging people at times in the biggest stages, and attacking in the intermediate stages, because he saw he had a very real chance at winning the Tour, that had eluded him and could have been thought lost.

MotorRouleur said:

I would add (again, outside the amazing Colombian takeover) is the young guns, the new generation of cycling. Aru and Majka, Henao, Arredondo all will be around for a LONG time (As will Nairo, Rigoberto, Duarte etc..) man...sorry, I guess it wasn't outside the amazing colombians LOL.

Libertine Seguros said:
The thing with Evans is, he nearly missed out. He raced too timidly when he was at his real peak age, and came out of his shell almost too late to assemble the palmarès his talent deserved. I thought he'd missed out because his abilities were starting to head downhill at the same time as his racing style became less about following and blaming others when chances went begging, and more about taking responsibility and truly leading; I thought especially after the 2010 Giro where he had done everything you could ask of a racer to maximise his chances of winning but faded away, that his time had come and gone. It was a running theme on the board, Evans vs. Menchov, who would you rather be, with both being similar GT talents, Evans being stronger in one-day racing and short stage races, but with Evans having dozens of podiums and placements but Menchov having three GTs. And I think you saw that in the 2011 Tour, when Evans was taking sole responsibility for dragging people at times in the biggest stages, and attacking in the intermediate stages, because he saw he had a very real chance at winning the Tour, that had eluded him and could have been thought lost.

Yes Evans 2009 WT win gave him self confidence to take responsibility more in racing - he's even admitted that. But I think we also know what else changed in cycling around 2009/2010. Pre 2010 Evans was struggling to hold wheels in the mountains - attacking was not possible (2007 TDF). The style of climbing in the 2011 TDF was never seen pre 2010 - I mean Voekler?? I don't think this can be discussed properly in this forum.

Cookster15 said:
Yes Evans 2009 WT win gave him self confidence to take responsibility more in racing - he's even admitted that. But I think we also know what else changed in cycling around 2009/2010. Pre 2010 Evans was struggling to hold wheels in the mountains - attacking was not possible (2007 TDF). The style of climbing in the 2011 TDF was never seen pre 2010 - I mean Voekler?? I don't think this can be discussed properly in this forum.

What about the 2008 Tour or 2009 Dauphiné though? Even the 2009 Vuelta when Evans did precisely nothing to gain back the time that was lost in the puncture incident? It is far too simplistic an answer to the question. There's more than just "cycling got cleaner" that led to the shift in Evans' fortunes. And Evans ranked on CQ #1 in the world in 2007, #3 in 2008 and 2009, but #6 in 2010 (yes, he got hurt at the Tour, but he wasn't going to contend for it, BMC 2010 weren't strong enough to support him at one GT let alone two). Evans was a timid racer riding for a team who had several competing goals and when they did try to support him, their selection policy and signing policy was naïve and foolish. And the 2011 Tour that he won had a convicted doper on the podium as well, of course.

Unless you mean the banning of the big psychological stumbling block for Evans that was Alejandro Valverde.