• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage 19: Bassano Del Grappa - Cima Grappa 26.8 km MTT

Eshnar said:
Stage 19: Bassano Del Grappa - Cima Grappa 26.8 km MTT

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_planimetria_19.jpg

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_altimetria_19.jpg

The WWI monument at the top

cimagrappa.jpg

Technical overview:
Here it is, the key stage of the Giro. For the first time in the last 10 years at least, the most important stage is a MTT. The craziest MTT in the last 20 years period, the last one comparable in difficulty would be Sestriere 1993, even though it was an entirely different climb. The most similar to this one, anyway, is surely Mont Ventoux 1987. 27 km from Bassano to the top of the colossal Monte Grappa, 19 km at 8% average, with 8 km of a flat run-in. The Grappa can be divided in two parts, divided by an intermediate checkpoint: the first one features very constant gradients, and it's almost 12 km long at 7.4% average; the last part has irregular, steep slopes, 7.5 km at 8.9%.

What to expect:
Gaps. Big gaps. It will be very important to manage the effort correctly in the flat first part. A MTT really hard not only to ride, but also to plan. Who wins this wins the Giro, I have little doubts.

Moving on toe one of the more brutal mtt's in recent years

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Nibali_giro_stage-18_2013.jpg

Except replace Nibs with Nairo.

Hmm, maybe I'll end up with a new avatar of the same thing happening just with a different rider. :D

Edit: Hey! 7,000. Cool. :)

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
PirazziAttacksVino said:
This has Quintana witten all over it. Starting from the second intermediate check, we will be witnessing a genocide :D

poor choice of words there...

Anyway, Quintana to win.. Evans to lose 10 minutes :p

Although I personally am now tranquil about Stage 16, I kind of hope Nairo wins this with such authority that it erases any doubts (not that there could rationally be many of those, really) about whether he would have/could have won the overall independent of the controversial day.

He doesn't, to my mind, "need" to prove anything by winning with great authority, but it will certainly be a positive for the race and memories of it if he does.

So, I'm cheering for Nairo to take a spectacular win, for Rolland to cement a place on the podium, and for Evans to maintain a top ten position on the GC.

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Just saw Stefano Garzelli climbing the Monte Grappa for RAI. Beautiful Views!

Hope quintana murders everyone so everybody can shut up about stage 16 already

May 17, 2014
Visit site
I think we should all be talking about who'll be in the lead at the first time check, as the winner of the stage is too obvious :p My pick is Svein Tuft, just to show that he's still alive :D

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Quintana to win major time, Evans out of the top ten, Rolland out of the top five. Aru and Pozzo will probably push Uran out of podium contention for the day.As usual fingers crossed for Kelderman to make up for his crack at the end of today's stage.

Ruby United said:
Finally Quintana will prove to all those still going on about stage 16 ( ahem damian;)) that he always had this Giro winning by about 2 minutes.

Yep, as I said. If he wins by 4-5 minutes even under those circumstances then all the controversy will be gone (unless Rolland podiums of course but thats of lesser importance)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
yespatterns said:
Quintana to win major time, Evans out of the top ten, Rolland out of the top five. Aru and Pozzo will probably push Uran out of podium contention for the day.As usual fingers crossed for Kelderman to make up for his crack at the end of today's stage.

Will he break his leg, or riding backwards, or something? :confused:

christopherrowe said:
Come now. Evans to lose ten minutes on, let's see, Alexis Vuillermoz? Or are you suggesting he'll lose fifteen to Alexandre Geniez?

You never know anymore with evans:D. Seriously though, he will go to tenth, maybe not eleventh ( yes I know he 3:30 ahead of kiserlovski)

TRENDING THREADS