• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage 19: Saint-Jean-de-Maurienn - La Toussuire-Les Sybelle

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Enrico Gimondi said:
Club ride until the last climb. Quintana will attack but Sky will be well rested and counter every attack. Another boring day.

i dont think so. Glandon nord has often showed drama and enormous gaps. if nairo has legs tomorrow he lets movistar work brutally in glandon. if he doesnt have legs he just waits for alpe.anyway there will be carnage - brutal beauty of glandon.
for the bit of a moment froome locked cocked in lacets today. or was he pokerface?

I have about 3% left over hope that something exciting will happen in the next 2 stages.

I don't know if Valverde has anything left at this point, I'm leaning to no. Otherwise I'd say he needs to attack on the Mollard climb tomorrow and try and make something happen. If they (Movi) want to try to win yellow, I don't think they can leave it till the Alpe. They have to try something tomorrow. I assume they will, whether or not it works....it's doubtful.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
Froome to lose 17 seconds to Quintana, choosing to follow Thomas all the way.

The next day he'll win Alpe d'huez but despite reaching the finish line alone and quite fresh, it won't be a top 10 all time ride because it was a different era back then.

Strange that he's beating times of that era though

Re: Stage 19: Saint-Jean-de-Maurienn - La Toussuire-Les Sybe

I think Quintana will win this but i don't expect a big gap between him and Froome.Valverde should be better than today,the podium should be defended at all costs.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I want to see is some decent action well before 5k to go and that they don't all come to the line together. :eek:

Should be a big stage for the KOM battle but I fear it might be a bust and basically hand the jersey to Froome:
- Now Bardet is in the GC top 10 I doubt he'll be allowed in the break by Trek and Lotto.
- Purito looked tired today but maybe he will recover.
- Fuglsang looked good today until he tried to take out a moto
- Pauwels has been in just about ever break going so must be knackered and I'm not sure he's a strong enough climber to make the break on a stage starting with a cat. 1 climb

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Contador, Nibali go early and get chased back quickly. Quintana and Valverde try several "attacks" that consist of accelerating for 4 seconds and then looking back and stopping. Quintana and Froome then drop everoyne and shadow box all the way up the final climb, with Quintana winning the sprint to the line.

Re:

fungusbear said:
Contador, Nibali go early and get chased back quickly. Quintana and Valverde try several "attacks" that consist of accelerating for 4 seconds and then looking back and stopping. Quintana and Froome then drop everoyne and shadow box all the way up the final climb, with Quintana winning the sprint to the line.

Sad face. But probably true.

Movistar can prove their intentions to win the Tour on this stage, but it'll require Valverde killing it up Glandon to shed everyone but Thomas and Froome. But he won't. Contador and Nibali may have a chance here, though, as long as Valverde doesn't desperately cover their attacks in order to protect his pod--ah hell. Who am I kidding?

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
There is 30 km flat between first climb and second climb... stupid... nobody of the GC will race hard on the first climb, or they ll bury themself in the flat to no avail

Re: Stage 19: Saint-Jean-de-Maurienn - La Toussuire-Les Sybe

I see two scenarios here:

1. Very hard fight to get into the breakaway (very likely), one of the top 10 guys staying behind, others to drive hard through rest of the stage. All bets are off in this scenario.
2. Breakaway gets away easily or no significant rider gets caught behind. Peleton on a sunday ride through a flat part, breakaway gets 10 minute gap and winner comes from the break (Purito or Majka (homer bet of course)).
Nothing happens up Glandon since Sky is strong enough to control, gaps on the finish less than 1'.

The best thing though: I have a day off so will watch entire stage :D

This stage has so much potential, but sadly we know how is going to be ridden by the GC contenders, specially SKY & the Alien.........

I actually believe Contador might be trying some long range attack, for the sake of it -perhaps Nibbs follows too, but then Valpiti will chase them down & sh!t goes back to the way it was, so SKY can motor pace it all the way to the last 2 km...

BTW - Quintana better deliver, because he's been saying this stage & tomorrow's is what he's prepared for to attempt to strip the Alien off the MJ-perhaps knowing is merely wishful thinking, but at least stage win and getting as close as possible to him is what he's rather trying to achieve... his word better counts !!!

Re:

mspgrandi said:
There is 30 km flat between first climb and second climb... stupid... nobody of the GC will race hard on the first climb, or they ll bury themself in the flat to no avail
It is OK. The first climb is just to tire people up. Besides not even Merkx would make an attack two huge climbs before. Doing an attack before the Giant of the Croix de Fer is stupid.

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Simurgh said:
This is Pinots last chance (from a break) as I see it, IMO he shouldn't have gone today..hoping to see Contador doing something as well, but wouldn't be surprised, if he waited until Alpe d'Huez stage, hopefully with good legs

Pinot has no chance whatsoever, confidence shot after the crash yesterday and dropped easily today.

Quintana and Froome to battle this one out with Valverde in the mix as well.

Escarabajo said:
mspgrandi said:
It is OK. The first climb is just to tire people up. Besides not even Merkx would make an attack two huge climbs before. Doing an attack before the Giant of the Croix de Fer is stupid.

What Escarbajo said plus there will be the battle for the break to form so they will probably climb it at a reasonable speed.
The stage is still very short especially as stage 20 is even shorter. Perhaps they should have done La Toussuire at the end of stage 18 and then done, Croix de Fer, Mollard, Chaussy and Madeleine for this stage.

Just attack. I don't care who (somebody in the top 7 preferably)...just attack. And attack early, please. I even liked the crazy battle between Mollema (more and more ninja), Gesink, Barguil and Frank (not ninja anymore) today. But I was almost losing it until Barguil decided to jump on Glandon. It was boring. Then it went like a chain reaction attack after attack, the breakaway action kicked off and it was quite nice till the end, although nothing major happened GC wise. So tomorrow please, there's room to do great actions. I don't need much. I'd be happy with an early Mollema-Frank attack to shake the GC upside down lol :p

Re:

johnymax said:
Just attack. I don't care who (somebody in the top 7 preferably)...just attack. And attack early, please. I even liked the crazy battle between Mollema (more and more ninja), Gesink, Barguil and Frank (not ninja anymore) today. But I was almost losing it until Barguil decided to jump on Glandon. It was boring. Then it went like a chain reaction attack after attack, the breakaway action kicked off and it was quite nice till the end, although nothing major happened GC wise. So tomorrow please, there's room to do great actions. I don't need much. I'd be happy with an early Mollema-Frank attack to shake the GC upside down lol :p
I have to agree with this. I hope GC attacks start on La Fer

Re:

ice&fire said:
Whoever put that flat loop between Chaussy and Glandon instead of going up to Longchamp on the slopes of La Madeleine was definitely on crack.

That was what I was thinking when looking at the profile and the map. Like...wtf?
1 mountain stage without flat in between climbs... that's all I ask for.. gawd

TRENDING THREADS