• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage 9 TDS: Liestal ITT - 26.9km

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Can Gesink hold on to yellow or will Armstrong put in a "vintage" final tt? Will it be someone else? Can somebody challenge Cancellara for stage honours? Who will win the stage?

Gesink will hold onto the jersey imo but Morabito will take 2nd overall by doing a strong tt. Armstrong will come close to winning the stage and this forum will be flooded by LA fanboys! Cancellara ftw.

profile-9.png

The average grad for the climb is about 2%. Similar to the tt in romandie i think.

A

Anonymous

Team radio shack had this to say on twitter

HAMMER TIME: Why all the TT work for Lance this year? Well, let's see what happens tomorrow at #tdsuisse. It'll be a nail biter.

I hope not.. Cancellara for me all the way. I am not sure he is beatable right now. If the old man can beat spartacus serious questions need to be asked. Wether he can make enough time over gesink. I dont even want to think about it.

Gesink for the overall. Sparkticus ;) FTW.

With only 2 weeks until the Tour, it would be interesting to see how some of the contenders perform. I don't think the Schlecks are going to be inside the top 10, but I don't doubt that Andy will be ready come July. LA will place near Andy. I'm rooting for Danielson for a TT podium - and yes, I know it's a longshot. Actually, top 3 at the top of the climb but he'll lose it on the descent.

TeamSkyFans said:

HAMMER TIME: Why all the TT work for Lance this year? Well, let's see what happens tomorrow at #tdsuisse. It'll be a nail biter.

I hope not.. Cancellara for me all the way. I am not sure he is beatable right now. If the old man can beat spartacus serious questions need to be asked. Wether he can make enough time over gesink. I dont even want to think about it.

What TT work is this referring to? Training that no one's seen? Because I've not seen an impressive TT'ing this year from them.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
These are the current UNIBET odds for the ITT

Tour de Suisse 2010 - Stage 9
Who will win?

Cancellara, F 1.55
Martin, Tony 5.50
Larsson, G E 6.00
Leipheimer, L 14.00
Zabriskie, D 17.00
Klöden, A 20.00
Armstrong, L 25.00
Kreuziger, R 35.00
Devolder, S 40.00
Monfort, M 40.00
Gutierrez P., J I 50.00
Lovkvist, T 50.00
Sanchez Gil, L L 50.00
Voigt, J 75.00
Chavanel, Sylvain 100.0
Fuglsang, J 100.0
Gesink, R 100.0
Hincapie, G 100.0
Niermann, G 100.0
Wegmann, F 125

General classification after stage 8

1 Robert Gesink (Ned)
2 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Caisse d'Epargne 0:00:29
3 Steve Morabito (Swi) BMC Racing Team 0:00:36
4 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 0:00:38
5 Joaquin Rodriguez Oliver (Spa) Team Katusha 0:00:42
6 Matteo Carrara (Ita) Vacansoleil Pro Cycling Team 0:00:54
7 Lance Armstrong (USA) Team Radioshack 0:00:55
8 Oliver Zaugg (Swi) Liquigas-Doimo 0:01:01
9 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Team Saxo Bank 0:01:17
10 Thomas Lövkvist (Swe) Sky Professional Cycling Team 0:01:38
11 Andy Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 0:01:40
12 Andreas Klöden (Ger) Team Radioshack 0:01:48
13 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Team Radioshack 0:02:18
14 Tony Martin (Ger) Team HTC - Columbia 0:02:19
15 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Liquigas-Doimo 0:02:24

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:

Lord Pharmstrongs loyal servants will be flooding up the forum if he wins the tt and/or overall. The course is a good one for Gesink so he will not lose muxh time at all if any to morabito or armstrong who seem to be his main threats.

Anyway, hoping steve can pull out a big ride tonight to take 2nd as I think he could do that. Can rodriguez, carrara, zaugg or fuglsang tt?

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Lord Pharmstrongs loyal servants will be flooding up the forum if he wins the tt and/or overall. The course is a good one for Gesink so he will not lose muxh time at all if any to morabito or armstrong who seem to be his main threats.

Anyway, hoping steve can pull out a big ride tonight to take 2nd as I think he could do that. Can rodriguez, carrara, zaugg or fuglsang tt?

Fuglsang is decent, but he's no Cancellara. He might advance a few spots in the GC but that's it.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Here is steephil's preview...

The Tour de Suisse often ends with an individual time-trial and that's what we'll have this year. Bern in 2006, 2007 and 2009 hosted a final time trial ranging in distance from 30 to 37 km. This year's stage 9 will be a 27 km loop in the south part of Liestal.
The course climbs for the first half with a gradual 250m gain over 11 km. That's a 2.2% average grade, easy enough for an old steam locomotive. The second half of the loop is a even more gradual. Judging by yesterday's circuit around Liestal, there should be lots of narrow and/or technical sections.

Robert Gesink will go into the final day of a stage race in the unfamiliar position as race leader. The next eight riders trail by 29 seconds to one minute and some of them are better time trialers than Gesink. Expect some reshuffling of the GC.

So how good of a time trialist is Gesink? His only other time trial this year was at Vuelta Ciclista al País Vasco which also featured a final day TT with a similar distance (22 km) and general profile although the climb was harder. This was the TT that Chris Horner won to claim the overall win on the last day. Gesink finished 15th, 1:06 back of Horner's winning time. Today's stage 9 will be 5 km longer than the Orio TT course in the Basque country. At the Vuelta a Espana in 2009, Gesink lost over 2 minutes to the winner on the final day 26 km time trial, although a bad crash in the latter half of the three week race would have effected his performance. At the 42 km Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré time trial in June 2009, he finished 15th, 1:43 behind the winner Bert Grabsch. So, he's not a bad time trialist but his 29 second lead is surmountable. The highest place rider on GC who may be a better time trialist is Katusha's Joaquim Rodriguez in 5th place (+ 0:42), the overall winner this past March at Volta a Catalunya. Other riders to watch out for include Matteo Carrara (6th, + 0:54), Lance Armstrong (7th, + 0:55). Jacob Fuglsang (9th, + 1:17) and Thomas Lövkvist (10th, + 1:38) have an outside chance of capturing a podium spot. Steve Morabito, being the top Swiss rider in 3rd position will have some extra motivation and is the rider Gesink is most worried about.

Rodriguez in the tt at Pais vasco finished ahead of Gesink by 33 seconds.
Carrara in the prologue 56th. Could not find any other records of his time triallingthis year.
Fuglsang finished 10th in the prologue of the tds and in the vuelta tt valencia last year he finished 35th. 10 secs behind gesink

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping for Uran here. He was a huge timetrial talent only he hasn't done a time trial to the fullest in at least one or two years I think so I wonder how worse his capabilities have become but I think if he has a very good day he can even seal the final victory. His biggest opponent is Gesink.

this was back 3 years ago, when uran was only 20 and still with unibet, pretty impressive:

1 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Unibet.com 25.35.00
2 Isidro Nozal (Spa) Karpin Galicia 0.01
3 Santos Gonzalez Capilla (Spa) Karpin Galicia 0.19
4 Aaron Villegas Trapaga (Spa) Orbea - Laukiz F.T. 0.20
5 Alexei Markov (Rus) Caisse d'Epargne
6 Oleg Chuzhda (Ukr) Fuerteventura - Canarias 0.30
7 Arkaitz Durán (Spa) Saunier Duval - Prodir 0.32
8 Imanol Erviti Ollo (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 0.44
9 Luca Celli (Ita) Team L.P.R. 0.51
10 Victor Hugo Peña (Col) Unibet.com 0.57

that timetrial was 21 km long btw

auscyclefan94 said:
Rodriguez in the tt at Pais vasco finished ahead of Gesink by 33 seconds.
Carrara in the prologue 56th. Could not find any other records of his time triallingthis year.
Fuglsang finished 10th in the prologue of the tds and in the vuelta tt valencia last year he finished 35th. 10 secs behind gesink
Steephill picked out Gesink's worst TT performances, it seems. Maybe they've forgotten that Gesink's 15th in the final Pais Vasco TT was after having crashed the day before. I think the most comparable TT to the one today was the 2009 Tirreno TT, also 30 km and on an undulating course, in which he got 6th, 40 secs behind winner Klöden.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Steephill picked out Gesink's worst TT performances, it seems. Maybe they've forgotten that Gesink's 15th in the final Pais Vasco TT was after having crashed the day before. I think the most comparable TT to the one today was the 2009 Tirreno TT, also 30 km and on an undulating course, in which he got 6th, 40 secs behind winner Klöden.

But your picking out his best one...He was put under the pump yesterday and was trying to scramble up to LA's wheel when attacking.

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
If lance wants the victory he will win by 2 minutes over gesink and 30 seconds over cancellara.

I predict he will softpedal so alberto at least turns up to the tour to get his *** handed to him.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
lancewillwin8 said:
If lance wants the victory he will win by 2 minutes over gesink and 30 seconds over cancellara.

I predict he will softpedal so alberto at least turns up to the tour to get his *** handed to him.

new account wonder lance?

auscyclefan94 said:
On graham watsons site he has a good photo of robert scrambling up in his gangly style to LA's wheel. Don't be so defensive!
I'm not defensive, I already thought that you got this idea from the Graham Watson publicity machine. What Watson doesn't mention is that Gesink had just covered a Schleck move. As soon as Armstrong enters the picture, Watson loses all objectivity.

TRENDING THREADS