• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

State of the peloton 2021

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I thought I read somewhere that doping among juniors in lower series is a problem, but I can't remember where I read it. (I've read Dekker's book and Macur's book about Armstrong, but I doubt it was in either.) Might even have been here in the forum. :eek:

Shots fired, i.e. Romain Bardet got a little angsty on Twitter last night:

View: https://twitter.com/romainbardet/status/1444380549817176069

"When I see these images of the Tour of Emilia, one of my favorite races, I feel I didn't climb the same side of the San Luca during those years (put simply, 2km at 10%), was it Moto-GP this year?"

Yet his climbing speeds at AG2R were not far behind the best last year and he was 4th on the gc, only 30sec down before his crash on stage 13 of the 2020 Tour.

• Wow
Reactions: noob
Shots fired, i.e. Romain Bardet got a little angsty on Twitter last night:

View: https://twitter.com/romainbardet/status/1444380549817176069

"When I see these images of the Tour of Emilia, one of my favorite races, I feel I didn't climb the same side of the San Luca during those years (put simply, 2km at 10%), was it Moto-GP this year?"

Wait :O Is Bardet saying straight out he thinks Rogla had a motor in his bike yesterday????

Romain Bardet is also being extremely disingenuous because this is Primoz Roglic, i.e. a rider everyone in the peloton knows has fast twitch muscles (which he also used when he was a ski jumper) & a lethal uphill sprint. It's almost a meme at this point (i.e. his rivals getting stomped on). So Bardet looks like a cretin to be honest when he's feigning "surprise" at something we've seen countless times over the past 2 years.

• Sad
Reactions: noob and Red Rick
The main reason I reacted was because I didn't think riders openly said these things. I thought omerta was still the norm?

Every so often there's some bitterness & barely concealed accusations of wrongdoing posted on social media by a rider/ex rider.

Sometimes ostensibly (as Bradet just did & Stéphane Heulot did last year as well), more tacitly (like Thibaut Pinot who accused riders who use cortisone injections of basically doping) & sometimes way more subtly (like current riders such as Thomas De Gendt & others who say they're doing their "best numbers" & still getting dropped).

The peloton is one big dysfunctional (un)happy family.

Reactions: noob
Why the french riders and other french people are always crying? Just because there are riders better than the french riders, means that they are doped?!

Pinot liked Bardet's Tweet. And Alexandre Geniez i.e. a TotalEnergies rider who abandoned during the race on Saturday labelled it "Formula 1" on Strava: 167.2 km Ride Activity on 2 October 2021 by Alexandre G. on Strava

I wish it wasn't like this but it's indeed endemic among some riders/cycling commentators in this country & dates back to Festina 1998. It's a cultural aspect of the sport here, actually, i.e. moralism with themselves as the heroes.

Once they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar in the 1990's many decided they'd rain on everyone else's parade ad-infinitum. Think of it as the equivalent of Lance Armstrong fans who now roam around the internet shouting "all dopers!" at every winner.

Bardet, Pinot & their friends were raised in that sort of environment.

• Sad
Reactions: Froome and noob
Pinot liked Bardet's Tweet. And Alexandre Geniez i.e. a TotalEnergies rider who abandoned during the race on Saturday labelled it "Formula 1" on Strava: 167.2 km Ride Activity on 2 October 2021 by Alexandre G. on Strava

I wish it wasn't like this but it's indeed endemic among some riders/cycling commentators in this country & dates back to Festina 1998. It's a cultural aspect of the sport here, actually, i.e. moralism with themselves as the heroes.

Once they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar in the 1990's many decided they'd rain on everyone else's parade ad-infinitum. Think of it as the equivalent of Lance Armstrong fans who now roam around the internet shouting "all dopers!" at every winner.

Bardet, Pinot & their friends were raised in that sort of environment.
I honestly do tend to trust ex dopers that say that most are doping. Even if "most" or "everyone" could be everything from 30-80%. It's still enough that from a subjective point you can call it "everyone", especially if those who constantly wins have a rate like 40% or above.

I do follow Rasmussen. I don't find him trustworthy, and he's whiny, but when he has his talks about doping he doesn't feel completely off. (Debate is still out with me if I want to put him in the Armstrong full on narc corner. I haven't read his books yet. But the way Dekker described people in his book made me think Rasmussen wasn't a complete ***. Rather some other diagnosis.

(Narc = short for narcissist)

Armstrong I can't stand because too much narc. And I hate machoism so even Vaughters isn't fun for me to listen to, even if I want to read his book.

I still find the idea of motor doping weird. I believe it's more likely they're doing bloodsports and the other usual suspects.

I honestly do tend to trust ex dopers that say that most are doping.
An ex-doper saying everyone else is doping is often simply justifying their own doping. It is naïve to believe that the truth sets them free, especially in the face of their continued omertà on key elements of their own doping.

If you want to believe that most are doping you will, of course, believe those who play to that point of view, without critically questioning what they are saying and why they are saying it. Which makes you no better than those who willingly believe that all is well and the only people talking about doping are bitter, cynical, unable to keep up, or even the heroes of their own story trying to claim the moral high ground.

Vaughters says a LOT of things.
One of them being that Mark Padun is allegedly a member of the 6 liters club (ie his absolute VO2max is 6 L/min).
Vaughters implied that if Padun weighted 60 kg (incidentally that's his reported weight on PCS) his relative VO2max would be 100 ml/kg/min.

You can hear it yourself on the latest episode of the Cycling Podcast. According to Vaughters, nobody he has ever worked with is a 6 litres athlete. He says that LeMond and Indurain may have done a 6 liter test during their careers though.

One of them being that Mark Padun is allegedly a member of the 6 liters club (ie his absolute VO2max is 6 L/min).
Vaughters implied that if Padun weighted 60 kg (incidentally that's his reported weight on PCS) his relative VO2max would be 100 ml/kg/min.

You can hear it yourself on the latest episode of the Cycling Podcast. According to Vaughters, nobody he has ever worked with is a 6 litres athlete. He says that LeMond and Indurain may have done a 6 liter test during their careers though.
Tbh those gas exchanges thingimajings have a huge amount of variance depending on the brand.

But I'm gonna guess it's not about that and Johnny V is talking out his rear again

TRENDING THREADS