• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

State of the Peloton 2024

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sean Kelly it appears no longer gives a f***

(Rich from him I know but hilarious to hear on a broadcast)

I mean... I hate to be this guy (& this goes beyond the fact we're speaking about Sean freaking Kelly here), but this all boils down to one huge steaming pile of whataboutism, i.e. what about the Tour de France? I mean seriously. The Vuelta is super tame & almost 'quaint' compared to what happened in July.

I get the whole 'straw that breaks the camel's back' aspect of each race adding fuel to the fire (this Vuelta is no exception) but that Tour we just witnessed was the stuff of legends. Like the unofficial sequel to the 1997 Tour & a spiritual tribute to 1990's cycling in its ensemble. The time gaps were delirious as well.

I mean... I hate to be this guy (& this goes beyond the fact we're speaking about Sean freaking Kelly here), but this all boils down to one huge steaming pile of whataboutism, i.e. what about the Tour de France? I mean seriously. The Vuelta is super tame & almost 'quaint' compared to what happened in July.

I get the whole 'straw that breaks the camel's back' aspect of each race adding fuel to the fire (this Vuelta is no exception) but that Tour we just witnessed was the stuff of legends. Like the unofficial sequel to the 1997 Tour & a spiritual tribute to 1990's cycling in its ensemble. The time gaps were delirious as well.
Don't remember ever hearing something like that on an English broadcast. The strangest thing was that he blurted it out as a result of Marc Soler's poor tactics as well, saw the 20th crap attack and decided after 15 years of broadcasting that enough was enough and he was going to sound off for the first time.

Don't remember ever hearing something like that on an English broadcast. The strangest thing was that he blurted it out as a result of Marc Soler's poor tactics as well, saw the 20th crap attack and decided after 15 years of broadcasting that enough was enough and he was going to sound off for the first time.
Finally got tired of being Soler’d.

But who can blame Soler, he learned well from his master Gadret.

• Haha
Reactions: Tim Cahill

Didn't even seem like that was his point.

He was trying to say the Vuelta was too hard in a demented word salad way

yea I couldn't really understand his point, but what I heard was:

"end of the season, the fatigue is in there, we did talk a number of years ago as well, pushing the riders maybe, the doping aspect of it"

Which to me sounds like maybe: "the season is too long and hard and it's always been like that, in the past it even pushed some riders to dope"

Reactions: noob and yaco
yea I couldn't really understand his point, but what I heard was:

"end of the season, the fatigue is in there, we did talk a number of years ago as well, pushing the riders maybe, the doping aspect of it"

Which to me sounds like maybe: "the season is too long and hard and it's always been like that, in the past it even pushed some riders to dope"
Which is so infuriatong like did he ever check the all time 100m sprinter list

Reactions: noob

That's what I thought listening to that, "the UCI must do something" because the races are too hard and only the same riders are at the front :confused_old:

It did feel like a stream of consciousness unleashed and it started going the obvious conclusion, and then veered off at a tangent when he realised he was digging himself a big hole.

• Wow
Reactions: noob
One of my favourites in that respect was back in about 2009 or so, when David Harmon asked Sean why he thought Damiano Cunego was no longer contesting as strongly for GCs as he had been in 2004 despite heading into his peak years, and seemed to struggle for recovery compared to his breakout. Sean simply said "it was a different era of cycling then". Harmon then pressed for what had changed, was there changes to diet, race calendar, pressure on his shoulders, the merger of Saeco and Lampre perhaps? Kelly just repeated, but in a much firmer tone, "I said, it was a different era of cycling" and Harmon changed the subject.

I had no idea it was so bad, basically for me hearing it was more of a "oh no, the hard races make you dope" trope. It's really not that you could say German broadcaster were nearly as critical as they used to be, but the fact of doping and it's past comes up often enough in broadcast and it was mentioned during the Tour as well, as we all saw what we saw. I kind of assuemd at least something similar would not be a total surprise for the english speaking audience.

Basically Kelly seemed to be saying for me: "the races are to hard, UCI must do something about it"; rather than "they are doping, UCI must do something about it". Which I was kind of expecting, because that would make me go "okay wow someone said that".

Reactions: yaco and awavey
Pablo Castrillo is setting off my 'this doesn't smell right' radar.

Pretty weird set of circumstances as well, with the team owner dying on the day he won Thursday's stage... & now he wins Cuito Negru.

Padun-esque.

It seems miraculous and i dont believe in miracles, especially when Kirby sounded incredulous whilst reading out his height and weight disadvantages to all the climbers in this race he just smoked going up there.

Seems like classic contract-year double vuelta stage win stuff, always possible if you're motivated and in form in a peloton of riders who are desperate for off-season (I'm not saying this means he is clean)

His age means limited questions will be asked, and nobody was really bothered by Ben king/Tomas marsvynskiy (wtf is this name).

In a world where UAE and viasma win everything this doesn't bother me so much

Pablo Castrillo is setting off my 'this doesn't smell right' radar.

Pretty weird set of circumstances as well, with the team owner dying on the day he won Thursday's stage... & now he wins Cuito Negru.

Padun-esque.
He's not exactly winning from the peloton. Sivakov (and Vine) dragged him to the finish, and then he had to beat Vlasov in the end. He was already climbing better than him to Granada.

Reactions: pastronef and noob
It seems miraculous and i dont believe in miracles, especially when Kirby sounded incredulous whilst reading out his height and weight disadvantages to all the climbers in this race he just smoked going up there.

Wouldn't give Carlton that much credit - he was reading off the stats he had in front of him on PCS because he didn't know a thing about him. He has previous for this when a lesser known rider wins, you can literally hear him reading off key results in the order they appear on the rider page on the website.

Jul 16, 2024
Visit site
Spanish rider at Vuelta, contract year, oversized for winning this type of stage well yeah it's not a little suspicious in my mind.

Cheered for him when he won the first stage thinking it was a rider from a small team putting everything on the line for one day and stars aligning. After today though? Not so sure I feel the same.

Like an unholy mix of WvA and Voeckler.

Spanish rider at Vuelta, contract year, oversized for winning this type of stage well yeah it's not a little suspicious in my mind.

Cheered for him when he won the first stage thinking it was a rider from a small team putting everything on the line for one day and stars aligning. After today though? Not so sure I feel the same.

Like an unholy mix of WvA and Voeckler.
Doped up to the eyebrows.
He's looking like responding for the first time to drugs. He doesn't know his limits.

Reactions: Nomad and steffr222