• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Steven Kruijswijk

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Kwibus said:
He had some difficulties today so I hope he's feeling better tomorrow when it will matter.

I also do not agree with the people that claim he is a pure diesel. Well he's certainly closer to a diesel than an puncheur, but in the first 1.5 week of the Giro he has shown quite decent punch.
He said he did not like the stage. Climbs too short, too narrow and too much twists and turns.
He also said he never was in real trouble, he was tired, but so was the rest

staubsauger said:
He has one victory in his career and that's his Tour de Suisse stage win in 2011 at Lichtenstein. He needs to outperform his opponents by sheer power as his acceleration is probably as weak as Fuglsang's. That's his main-issue apparently. Normally he's a quite aggressive rider.
Not true, he also won the overall Arctic Tour of Norway. So that's 2 victories

Anyhow, Kruijswijk is looking forward to the longer climbs above 1000 meters. So today and tomorrow is his day

Barring an Astana miracle Steven should win the mtt tomorrow or be the best of the favorites given his current shape! If so, there's enough space to handle him on a long leash, since Kruijswijk looks the slightly stronger climber as well overall up to now. Snowy, cold and windy conditions at the Col de Angelo should favor him as much as Nibali then. It's definitely possible if he confirms his shape at Seiser Alm!

Plus LottoNL is going in full Rabobank mode now I guess! :p

Crushweak absolutely fantastic today. Very impressed. It's an unknown if his team can control the race, but it will be interesting for sure, and he is looking very strong. Last year on the Mortirolo he was the 3rd best climber and this year you can see he is even stronger.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Re:

staubsauger said:
Barring an Astana miracle Steven should win the mtt tomorrow or be the best of the favorites given his current shape! If so, there's enough space to handle him on a long leash, since Kruijswijk looks the slightly stronger climber as well overall up to now. Snowy, cold and windy conditions at the Col de Angelo should favor him as much as Nibali then. It's definitely possible if he confirms his shape at Seiser Alm!

Plus LottoNL is going in full Rabobank mode now I guess! :p

Agree.
He has the form, is a good TTer and a diesel climber which suits him perfectly to the regular slopes of alpe di Siusi. Can't see any other GC contender beating him tomorrow

May 19, 2016
Visit site
well he certainly has put himself right into contention to win this now. I think after today theres only 3 real chances to win Kruijswijk, Nibali & Chaves. Lets see how Kruijswijk goes during the last week - my only questions on him is if his team can support him adequately.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

jmdirt said:
I don't have time to read back through all the posts, but did anybody have this guy picked for the top three GC finish? Its a long way from over, but he's looking good!

No one did but many us started having faith after the first days where he was very attentive and he looked great.

That's a big thing for Kruiswijk who is known for the 3rd week xD

Re:

jmdirt said:
I don't have time to read back through all the posts, but did anybody have this guy picked for the top three GC finish? Its a long way from over, but he's looking good!

I didn't before the race, but that's because in the past he's lost too much time in the early stages. After the first week however, I expected him to make the podium and after Landa's withdrawal, I thought he was the favourite

TRENDING THREADS