• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Steven Kruijswijk

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Kwibus said:
Taxus4a said:
He deserves this Giro, he is a very strong rider for this kind of race, and this year he had luck and a full support of the team in the flat.

I have followed one by one all the riders born in 85-86-87, I had always the sense that Gesink was the good one of the tresome with Mollena and Kruijswick, with Mollema second. And in some way I think still the same. But Steven showed some glimses to win one day the Giro and finally he had the oportunity and he is getting it.

He was very strong last year as well, especially in Mortirolo stage. This year he is even stronger.

What he did yesterday stage fighting alone againts everybody was amazing.

Gesink peaked at the age of 21 and Mollema at the age of 24. Typical dutch supertalents that stopped getting better at an early age unfortunately.
Kruijswijk seemed to have taken the more common progress and addind his injury that halted his progress for 3 years it kind of makes sense.
If Gesink would've progressed normally he would've been one of the best climbers right now.

That way I always said it is not as you start, but as you finish.

Today Jungels is in the same team than Verona and he is getting best results, but in 2 years this could be different. In fact i think they are no so different in level in this Giro, but Verona has to work.

But in the case of Gesink he had an illnessand an importat injury.

In the case of Mollema if you compare with steven Mollema has been better than him several times...In fact, in le Tour, best result of Steven is 15th, and Mollema 6thm, and 7th last year. And with more victories, in fact, Mollema is maybe a grey rider, but steven has been much more...

He has the engine, this time he has found in a very good moment and he has been some luck, and some of his rivals didnt have that luck...but I think Mollema can do the same here in the Giro, potentially, of course.

I think this Mollema focused in the Giro could have done the same:
http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=24036, or this one: http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=24529
but maybe Steven is a more reliable and stronger rider for 3 weeks...I said in some way I still think Mollema is a better rider becouse Mollema has beated Valverde in his terrain, and he is quite good in one day races, or at least he has some good results...http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=25296
http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=25298,...

Gesinks leg break made it impossible. I'm pretty certain he would've been much more consistent and better without. In his early years he was so incredibly consistent in finishing every goddamn stage race and climb in the top 10 or top 5. Then after leg break it goes either way. Either good or really bad.

On another note, I noticed many compare Kruijswijk this year to Hesjedal 2012. But that is not really correct. Apart from the fact they were both outsiders, Kruijswijk is far more dominant then Hesjedal ever was in that Giro.

http://www.nrc.nl/next/2016/05/25/hij-is-geboren-voor-de-grote-rondes-1623307

nice article in dutch. Says something typical. He was always a type that never give up, sees everything, and never has bad days. Reason why he was picked up so late is also the same, he never wins much, but is always there.

Heyboer (now trainer at Lotto instead of Delahaye), says his main strength is that he always has the same values in the 3rd as in the 1st week, and never seems to get ill, sick or really exhausted. He is made for grand tours.

I feel so bad for him. The guy had 3 mins on his nearest rival and looked the strongest. 1 crash later, he's a minute down, and having spent so much time working himself, he'll likely be cooked tomorrow too.

But it's not over, tomorrow is super tough, and I still think he's the strongest climber in the race

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Feel bad for Steven too, hes without a doubt the strongest and best rider in this giro.

What annoys me more tho is the luck of Nibali, almost everytime he wins its beacuse a contented crash. I hope Steven take this tho I doubt it, if not then Chaves. Regardless Steven will be remembered as the strongest rider of 2016 Giro.

Re:

blackmamba said:
Feel bad for Steven too, hes without a doubt the strongest and best rider in this giro.

What annoys me more tho is the luck of Nibali, almost everytime he wins its beacuse a contented crash. I hope Steven take this tho I doubt it, if not then Chaves. Regardless Steven will be remembered as the strongest rider of 2016 Giro.

Nah, noone remembers the strongest rider. Everyone remembers the best rider of the Giro, and we will find out who that is tommorow

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Kruijswijk says he knows he lost the giro. He also says he fell hard on his back and his body was in a lot of pain. He's mentally and physically done

He's 1 minute back, he easily responded to Chaves' attacks earlier in the stage while Nibali and co were struggling and really still looked like the strongest climber.

He needs people around him who can really get in his head because Kruijswijk's Giro is not over.

PremierAndrew said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Kruijswijk says he knows he lost the giro. He also says he fell hard on his back and his body was in a lot of pain. He's mentally and physically done

He's 1 minute back, he easily responded to Chaves' attacks earlier in the stage while Nibali and co were struggling and really still looked like the strongest climber.

He needs people around him who can really get in his head because Kruijswijk's Giro is not over.
Red Rick said:
Kruijswijk said he was on his limit following Nibali at the end of the Agnel. Chaves almost dropped there. Nibali has the stronger team. Chaves hasn't been too great since the rest day. I'm expecting Nibali to win it

TRENDING THREADS