• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stig Broeckx in coma after serious crash involving motorbike

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
Still no news... Hoping for a successful recovery.

A small update.

Due to the operations the intracranial pressure has decreased. He's still in an induced coma so that his body can heal better. The doctors can't make any predictions about if he's gonna survive or in what way he will come out of this.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

Samamba said:
CheckMyPecs said:
Still no news... Hoping for a successful recovery.

A small update.

Due to the operations the intracranial pressure has decreased. He's still in an induced coma so that his body can heal better. De doctors can't make any predictions about if he's gonna survive or in what way he will come out of this.
Thank you for the info. The decrease of intracranial pressure is a little nugget of good news, as high intracranial pressure can be very dangerous.

Once again, sending positive vibes to Stig and his family.

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Family wanted some privacy, so they said they won't be updating atm. But IMO if there was a good news, they would have made it public. So I think it's either status idem or going to worse.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

RedheadDane said:
This does not sound good!
I don't even care if he never makes it back on the bike, but just... let him live!

I totally agree. There is no other sport (other than motorsports) where athletes would be getting so badly injured or killed like we have in cycling.

:mad:

Re: Re:

Jancouver said:
RedheadDane said:
This does not sound good!
I don't even care if he never makes it back on the bike, but just... let him live!

I totally agree. There is no other sport (other than motorsports) where athletes would be getting so badly injured or killed like we have in cycling.

:mad:

In all fairness, cyclists reach very high speeds at times and have absolutely no protection apart from helmets, so is it really a surprise that it's such a dangerous sport? Obviously motos crashing into riders doesn't help either, but some of the descents, street furniture etc are plain stupid. When you see technical descents at high altitudes with no barriers and cyclists hurtling down at 80km/h, it's a recipe for disaster. Same can be said about roundabouts 500m from finish lines on a flat run in, or even the mass gathering of spectators on the roadsides.

I mean seriously, how hard can it be for someone to carry a homemade explosive device, infiltrate a crowd of several hundreds, and...

Update Wednesday 8 June 17:30

Since his crash in the Tour of Belgium Stig Broeckx has been kept in an induced coma in the hospital of Aachen for the past eleven days to let him recover from the crash and the surgery he had to undergo last week. That operation was intended to decrease the intracranial pressure. The intracranial pressure has been under control since the operation and the situation is no longer acutely life threatening.

At this moment it is not clear yet what the neurological consequences of the crash will be. These examinations can only take place when the condition of Stig has been stable for a long time.

Source: http://lottosoudal.be/update-over-stig-broeckx/?lang=en

Stig Broeckx successfully underwent surgery of his fractured eye socket, an injury he incurred at the Belgium Tour. Yesterday Stig, who is still in an induced coma, was transferred to the ZOL hospital in Genk, where he is staying at the intensive care unit and where the neurosurgical team will follow up his condition. Stig will be kept in an induced coma for an indefinite period. Further evaluation and prognosis isn’t possible until a later phase.

Unfortunately no good news:

The past days the neurosurgical team of the hospital in Genk has reduced the medication of Stig in an attempt to get him out of coma. Unfortunately Stig doesn’t respond to stimuli like sound or movement. The doctors confirm that Stig has incurred severe brain damage, in the brain stem and different brain regions. He is now in a vegetative state. At the moment it is difficult to predict if the consciousness can partially come back.

Out of respect for the family there won’t be any further comments.

http://lottosoudal.be/update-stig-broeckx/?lang=en

TRENDING THREADS