• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stig Broeckx in coma after serious crash involving motorbike

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Stig Broeckx in coma after serious crash involving motor

This brought tears to my eyes. Just unbelievable. Im so happy for him and everyone that's close to him.

Imagine if Chetout wouldn't have stabilized his head after the accident? If he wouldve picked up his bike and race on just like all riders do?

Quick update.

The "cheating" bit will never cease to amaze me. :D

One thing in particular I like about this is that while he - obviously - isn't listed on the official roster lists, it's still pretty clear that he's still considered part of the team; being offered to have the team kit fitted, though he declined, and everybody referring to the other Lotto-Soudal riders as his teammates, rather than his former teammates.

As for whether he'll ever be able to return to the sport? Honestly; I don't care. The important is that he lives, and that he's happy.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
The "cheating" bit will never cease to amaze me. :D

He will now be able to "cheat" with a treadmill because his fanclub has offered him a treadmill to further work on his rehab. :D

RedheadDane said:
One thing in particular I like about this is that while he - obviously - isn't listed on the official roster lists, it's still pretty clear that he's still considered part of the team; being offered to have the team kit fitted, though he declined, and everybody referring to the other Lotto-Soudal riders as his teammates, rather than his former teammates.

Yes, last December, while presenting the new Lotto team, Sergeant said that even though he was no longer officially a team member, "he remains a part of our family, forever". http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20161220_02638174

Lotto-Soudal is all a band of brothers. Most of the guys have been there for several years. I'm sad that Jürgen had to leave but last year Tosh was very happy to extend his contract. :)

RedheadDane said:
As for whether he'll ever be able to return to the sport? Honestly; I don't care. The important is that he lives, and that he's happy.

At the start of the year Sergeant also said "Let's be realistic, he will never be a rider again". However since then, I've read several articles which do not rule out the possibility of a come back. :eek: The most important thing is that he's now woken up, more or less fit and happy but if ever he can come back, that would be fanstastic (I still don't think he will). Though I guess he's got better things to do as well. In the family farm. :)

Who knows? He might have been allowed to raise his training from those 30 minutes... well, I suppose he knows, and everyone else involved in his rehab...

And, yeah. Seems the answer every time people ask if he'll ever be able to return, the answer is "we don't know", which - while not a "yes" - isn't exactly a "no".

Good to see that he is fighting. For a person who have been in a persistent vegetative state for a long period of time, it's almost a miracle.

Anybody who knows if he is able to walk? Or stand? Of course, I'd love to see a picture of him again.. but I understand that the family would like to keep things private.

Been meaning to post this for days (or is it weeks? I'm not sure...) but just never got around to do it, so thank you.
Reading this I went from angry; that the press wouldn't leave the family alone.
To horrified; at the description of his injuries, honestly felt a bit sick reading that...
To amused; at the "you guys aren't cutting it" comment.

TRENDING THREADS