• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stig Broeckx in coma after serious crash involving motorbike

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Stig Broeckx in coma after serious crash involving motor

Thanks to all who continue to share updates on his condition - to get to where he is at from where he was after the crash, or even a year ago is nothing short of incredible. He's obviously very restricted neurologically and physically but it is encouraging and he's receiving the care he needs to optimize his potential for recovery.

Thanks for the video, Popchu. Depressing and uplifting video at the same time.

I'm full of mixed emotions. Happy to see how determined Stig is but also sad that he has to go though all this because of just one inattentive motorcyclist. A single wrong move can destroy a young man's life.

I wonder what Stig thinks. Is he fully aware about his situation? Recovering from brain damage is a long, long, long process. Sometimes a lifelong process.

24f10f74-eb27-11e8-9ec2-2a07d0f16273_web_scale_0.6603774_0.6603774__.jpg

52a9ce60-eb27-11e8-9ec2-2a07d0f16273_web_scale_0.2333722_0.2333722__.jpg

:) :) :)

I haven't followed the news too closely. I know he'd been in a coma for a long time, vegatative state etc. But i don't know if he'd endured permanent braindamage or something. And if so, to what extent? Good to see him doing well though. Hope he can defy the odds even more.

EDIT: read most the thread. I'm still not entirely sure tbh, but it seems like he hasn't suffered permanent braindamage?

Re:

RedheadDane said:
According to this article (in Danish, might be based on the interview Logic linked to, I'll post an English version if I find one) he still has some problems when riding, such as... braking! However, as he rather amazingly points out; he doesn't look at what he can't do.

I usually run it through google translate for a fast translation, and then just edit the idiotic sentences that have lost the original meaning.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, this took place at some sort of conference where he was talking about his experience? That is brave indeed.
He was speaking at the university of Liege. His ability to speak is already relatively good and seems to become better as time goes by.

He also did some exercise test at Energy Lab very recently.

https://www.hln.be/sport/wielrennen/stig-broeckx-28-legt-inspanningstest-af-hij-voelde-zich-klaar-voor-nieuwe-stap~a04b754c/

While going back to pro cycling is out of question, I think he will be able to live a normal life in the future. That includes daily bike rides on a road bike.

For those interested, the latest episode of "Bargoens" was a documentary about Stig on Belgian national TV: VRT één. You can watch the episode again for one month if you are in the EU, online on "VRTNU". You will need to create a free account, and you'll need to state that you live in Belgium (maybe they will ask for a postal code, i'm not sure).

Obviously, everything is in Dutch. The episode also features other people, and it goes back and forth between the different stories.

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnu/a-z/bargoens/2/bargoens-s2a1/

Re:

GenericBoonenFan said:
Y'day in Vive Le vélo/ Lang leve de ronde they showed footage of Stig on a race bike.

You can clearly see Stig is disabled now but the progress the fellow made is remarkable.
It's all footage from Bargoens, like i mentioned in the post right above yours. He is being followed week by week. So there is more footage of him every week (as long as it runs). You can rewatch episodes on VRTnu for a month. So if you hit the link in my message above, it will probably still take you to the list of all the episodes.

The documentary maker also stated they are thinking of making a movie about Stig.

Re: Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
GenericBoonenFan said:
Y'day in Vive Le vélo/ Lang leve de ronde they showed footage of Stig on a race bike.

You can clearly see Stig is disabled now but the progress the fellow made is remarkable.
It's all footage from Bargoens, like i mentioned in the post right above yours. He is being followed week by week. So there is more footage of him every week (as long as it runs). You can rewatch episodes on VRTnu for a month. So if you hit the link in my message above, it will probably still take you to the list of all the episodes.

The documentary maker also stated they are thinking of making a movie about Stig.
I know.

TRENDING THREADS