• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stop the farce called Mountains classification

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
luckyboy said:
Simon Clarke is a pretty crummy name to be king of the mountains in any GT.
Probably Edet too.

Otherwise I don't really mind doing things this way, its a nice side-competition.
To 'fix' it all you have to do is double point on every MTF. Or you could only award points for the final climb because that would sure as hell see the best climber win.

The Tour doubling the points for the last climb (as per the pre-2011 classification) is fine, however they were not splitting out winning the mountains enough (2nd cats gave 10-9-8-7-6-5 and 1st cats 15-13-11-9-7-5-4-3-2-1 iirc) so accumulating by placements was too easy. In addition, the last climb would still pay those double points even in situations like Tarbes '09 or Pau '10 where it was patently obvious the break would just take it because it was 60-70km to the finish. I'd suggest only doubling the points for summits inside of 30km to go. Also giving bigger bonuses for 1st-2nd-3rd on the summits and trimming down the number of people getting points for each summit.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
The variety of jerseys and awards go a long way of enriching the race. Intermediate sprints and combativity awards add a wider dimension to professional races. The sprinters have their competition and i see no reason why the climbers should not have theirs, it`s just a question of tweaking the points formulae so that a credible winner emerges.

Oh, no! I love the mountains (and sprint) competitions. What I like best about this sport is that there's so much going on besides simply accumulating the best time on the day or over multiple days. I wish prizes would go up for intermediate sprints and KOMs so that they were all contested even by breakaways working together. I wish the Sprint, Mountain, and Teams competitions carried prizes equal to the overall!

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
xanadu said:
The variety of jerseys and awards go a long way of enriching the race. Intermediate sprints and combativity awards add a wider dimension to professional races. The sprinters have their competition and i see no reason why the climbers should not have theirs, it`s just a question of tweaking the points formulae so that a credible winner emerges.
But how can you call this years winner a climber when he is 10 minutes down to real climbers today?

And really, Arredondo isnt the worst, recall Mariano fregging Piccoli or Pascal Richard...

The big advantage of the mountains classification is that it animates the race by encouraging breakaways. I much prefer having riders go out to collect points in breakaways over a rider hiding in the grupetto to end up in the top-20.

Just look at Monfort or Basso for instance, 14 and 15 place in the ranking. Zero TV time and no real result for them. Instead they could have gone out in breakaways and at worst, they would be talked about and respected for their efforts. At best, they would have won a nice prize.

Firstly it gives some of the riders who either have not gc aspirations or lost a lot of time in the early stages of the race to get glory asides from just trying to win stages.

Also on the days where the gc riders are taking it slow it brings just a little bit more action on those stages.

Finally no one really takes it too seriously and people acknowledge it is the least valuable of the major jerseys to win so there isn't really anything to worry about.

So I don't get the problem?

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Seeing 'superclimber'Arredondo finishing his mountain Time Trial yesterday [ 126 Julian David Arredondo Moreno (Col) Trek Factory Racing 0:12:13 ] and looking at the other stages I came to the conclusion this competition is just a big joke. Look at the Gavia stage, he takes some beautifull points on the Gavia and then:
125 Julian David Arredondo Moreno (Col) Trek Factory Racing 0:44:07

Same goes for the Montecampione stage: 10'56"

Just like last year when superclimber Pirazzi showed the same pattern, Edet at the Vuelta etc etc.
I wont take Moncoutie in this line of reasoning by the way.

Some years are the exception of the rule but over the whole it has become a travesty, merci a Richard Virenque?
Thoughts please.

I think Mountains classification should be determined by measuring times on classified climbs (or on biggest three if there is more).

That way Polka dot jersey should be given to fastest/best climber and not to escapees for getting there and climbing them first.
Being first rider in the race should be rewarded by "sprinters" points/jersey, not Mtn classification.

Also, what would be avoided is to have to watch "Best climber" e.i. Polka dot wearer being dropped early on the climbs which was always kind of ridiculous to me.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Aapjes said:
Just look at Monfort or Basso for instance, 14 and 15 place in the ranking. Zero TV time and no real result for them. Instead they could have gone out in breakaways and at worst, they would be talked about and respected for their efforts. At best, they would have won a nice prize.

Basso actually got a ton of TV time, he always does at the Giro regardless of what he's doing or not doing :p

You are right about Monfort though, barely realised he was riding till I saw him in a break on the Zoncolan.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
But how can you call this years winner a climber when he is 10 minutes down to real climbers today?

And really, Arredondo isnt the worst, recall Mariano fregging Piccoli or Pascal Richard...

Thats why it is a points competition, you don`t have to score every day to take the jersey, its about managing your effort. Its the same rules for everyone, personally i think the prize money should be boosted to get the big guns to come out and play.