• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stop watching/sponsoring prosport (poll included)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Stop watching prosport events. Good idea?

• yes

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • no

Votes: 28 57.1%
  • vino 4ever

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Rob 2712 :
Something I tried posting hours ago in reply to a contributor but was blocked; the only way this can be attacked is if the riders are so scared of their national doping bodies that they feel nauseated at even the thought of cheating. Which means the doping bodies themselves being terrified of failing to do their jobs. Which can only happen if there is enough anger and contempt from the source of all their livelihoods, the fans. Get it yet? Fear is the key.

Blakeslee said:
After watching less and less of the NFL the past few seasons, I finally decided to pull the plug completely this season. It was a combination of issues which made me decide I'd had enough including:

• Concussions: The scenes with Mike Webster and Junior Seau in the League of Denial documentary really got to me. What I took away from the film was you could see what a massive financial juggernaut the NFL is and despite this how far they were willing to go to put player safety at risk over even the slightest risk that bad publicity surrounding concussions would impact their bottom line. Since the documentary aired it seems little has changed, the NFL continues to do the bare minimum necessary to combat the issue.
  • Performance Enhancing Drugs: Watching the NFL today reminds me of watching cycling during the worst of the doping years during the 1990s and early 2000s. You see the same kind of super human athleticism that was seen in cycling back then. I suspect the NFL has the same institutionalized PED issues that cycling had, especially when you consider the NFL's testing and penalty system which continues to be light years behind cycling and has no chance of being an effective deterrent. The NFL clearly has no intention of doing anything about this situation. In particular last year you had the Al Jazeera report which contained multiple leads that could have been followed up on, and two investigative pieces about Tom Brady and the Patriots (I'm a Boston fan btw) relationship with Alex Guerrero which reminds me strongly of the relationship Lance Armstrong and the Postal Service team had with Dr. Ferarri. Both reports were quickly swept under the rug.
  • Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault: It has been difficult to watch the number of cases of domestic violence and sexual assault involving NFL players while the league stands by and largely does nothing. Players like Ben Rothlisberger with multiple sexual assault accusations against him and the despicable Greg Hardy get off with a slap on the wrist and go right back to their multi-million dollar contracts. The Greg Hardy case was the last straw for me even after the pathetic suspension reduction how quickly the Cowboys were willing to sign him.
  • Richie Incognito and the Dolphins: I read the whole report concerning the situation with Richie Incognito and the Dolphins. This report provided a window into the type of behavior I suspect is typical in NFL locker rooms. While it probably isn't fair to tar the entire league based on this one report, I was disgusted by the behavior of many of the players and suspect this kind of atmosphere is prevalent in many NFL locker rooms.

My tuning out the NFL is not going to do much to address any of the above issues, but it still felt like the right thing to do.

Spot on. You couldn't have summed up the NFL any better.

dacooley said:
Grandillusion said:
Apologies to DirtyWorks, Bennotti, Hog and all the regular genuine fans who really care about the sport's integrity. Their relentless sleuthing is inspiring.
toxic sceptics and cynics that ecstatically dissect how mean sky, cookson, armstong or contador can be don't seem to be able to get where each of them stands at.
Hmm, yet the "toxic sceptics" continue to be right on a regular basis...