• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stop watching/sponsoring prosport (poll included)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Stop watching prosport events. Good idea?

• yes

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • no

Votes: 28 57.1%
  • vino 4ever

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Grandillusion said:
Netserk said:
^^Strawmen and shifting the goalposts.

How about you actually answered the (quite simple) questions? If you do that, I will answer yours.

Eh? Moving goalposts? My answer was plain and clear, what you perceive as a terrible commercial loss is not an improving state of affairs. Which bit of 'you ain't seen nuthin' yet' don't you understand?
Now provide me links to your outraged posts about Sapstead and UKADA's 'investigation' into the Linda McCartney team.

My suggestion is if you insist on being verbose and bombastic that you directly answer valid questions, rather than avoiding questions - There is no rule that states you must follow sport - It seems to make you unhappy.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Echoes said:
I cannot speak about other pro sports because I'm only interested in cycling and so have been since the turn of the century. After all we are here on a cycling forum, so we should talk about cycling. I've never understood all these threads about doping in other sports, brackets closed.

I agree with this. I follow a few sports but in relation to doping, I only care about those sports. I never understand either how people comment on sports that they don't follow from one end of the day to the other. Life is too short to be worrying about things that shouldn't concern you. I couldn't care less what doping they get up to in sports I don't follow, or if the governing bodies turn a blind eye to it.

I wonder for instance how many of the people who couldn't wait to have a comment on all the doping in athletics could be bothered to watch all the Diamond League meets.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re:

yaco said:
I have to wonder why some people still post if they hate cycling and sport - I feel sad some still haven't realised there is doping in all sports - It's like some want to be drama queens.

There will always be doping and corruption in sport. It's just the prevalence of it that will be in question.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

yaco said:
Grandillusion said:
Netserk said:

How about you actually answered the (quite simple) questions? If you do that, I will answer yours.

Eh? Moving goalposts? My answer was plain and clear, what you perceive as a terrible commercial loss is not an improving state of affairs. Which bit of 'you ain't seen nuthin' yet' don't you understand?
Now provide me links to your outraged posts about Sapstead and UKADA's 'investigation' into the Linda McCartney team.

My suggestion is if you insist on being verbose and bombastic that you directly answer valid questions, rather than avoiding questions - There is no rule that states you must follow sport - It seems to make you unhappy.

My posts are avoiding nothing mate, keep your 'suggestions' to yourself. Where was Netserk's 'valid' question? My whole point (again, for the zillionth time) is that fanbois like yourself and Netserk and all the other gargoyle lovers are actually complicit in destroying something that could be fantastic. Why are you choosing to engage with me rather than GB? Netserk also had the effrontery to imply I was a 'fair-weather fan' which is sort of what you're saying too, and by extension implying that your version of 'fandom' has some sort of elevated status. So you're not only insulting but simultaneously self-aggrandising. Pathetic.

gooner said:
yaco said:
I have to wonder why some people still post if they hate cycling and sport - I feel sad some still haven't realised there is doping in all sports - It's like some want to be drama queens.

There will always be doping and corruption in sport. It's just the prevalence of it that will be in question.

Its big time prevalent in most sports - To think otherwise is naive.

Grandillusion said:
yaco said:
Grandillusion said:
Netserk said:

My posts are avoiding nothing mate, keep your 'suggestions' to yourself. Where was Netserk's 'valid' question? My whole point (again, for the zillionth time) is that fanbois like yourself and Netserk and all the other gargoyle lovers are actually complicit in destroying something that could be fantastic. Why are you choosing to engage with me rather than GB? Netserk also had the effrontery to imply I was a 'fair-weather fan' which is sort of what you're saying too, and by extension implying that your version of 'fandom' has some sort of elevated status. So you're not only insulting but simultaneously self-aggrandising. Pathetic.

You obviously don't read posts - Answer direct questions rather than using terms like 'fanbois' and 'gargoyle' to deflect arguments - You can't seem to understand there has been corruption/doping etc in sports, especially professional sports, for over a hundred years - Carping and whinging about it will achieve little.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

yaco said:
Grandillusion said:
yaco said:
Grandillusion said:
Netserk said:

You obviously don't read posts - Answer direct questions rather than using terms like 'fanbois' and 'gargoyle' to deflect arguments - You can't seem to understand there has been corruption/doping etc in sports, especially professional sports, for over a hundred years - Carping and whinging about it will achieve little.

You mean you don't read posts I think. My answer to Netserk's non-question/point was NO.

And again, why are you engaging with me rather than the apathetic doping enablers? If you'd bother reading my posts you'd see that unlike you I do think something can be done about this. Have you made your views known re: UKADA's 'investigation' into Team Linda McCartney for instance? Any outraged posts? Are you even aware of the reasons why Sapstead would be reluctant to look into this? The links to Team Sky? Do you care?

You can do something, it can be better. Channel some inner Peter Finch maybe? :

https://youtu.be/ZwMVMbmQBug

sniper said:
Nomad said:
The motor thing gets old.
more like "is just getting started".
I know it's discussed a lot on the clinic.
cool, yet you seem not to have read much of it.
But where is the EVIDENCE? No rider has ever been caught.
you got some serious reading up to do. Take your time. :)
No whistleblower has ever come foward (how do you keep a secret like that for so long?).
Ask Sherwen. :rolleyes:
For real though, that used to be the traditional Lance defense line. It's now Sky's defense line. Not very convincing.

Just because LeMond "thinks" motors are being used doesn't mean anything.
It's not "just" Lemond. And why the quotation marks? He thinks it. Period.
And why "doesn't it mean anything"? That's an odd thing to say.
You complain about lack of whistleblowers, yet when Lemond speaks up you dismiss it as meaningless.
A few counterpoints:

On LeMond: He has a mechanic build him a motor in a bike, he rides at 60 kph with a bad back and in jeans, and concludes motors might be in the peloton? Does he have any first hand knowledge? If so, why won't he mention any rider(s), teams or particulary incidents? I don’t call that a whistleblower, but more in the realm of suspicion (btw, I didn't think you were very keen on LeMond?).

I've look at some of the threads on motor doping with videos posted of Cancellera, Froome and even Quintana during a TT. I just see hard accelerations - Spartacus is a big guy who can generate big time power...no surprises there. Froome is also accelerating, Quintana is riding a TT...nothing new there. Where's the evidence of the motors in each of these cases?

More importantly if motors have been used for quite sometime now, don't you think someone with first hand knowledge (e.g., rider, mechanic, staff member) would have come foward by now? I would think someone with direct evidence who finds the idea of motors in cycling repugnant would break and come foward. Perhaps someone who wants to make a name for himself/herself and eventually write a book (imagine that).

I would also think that if it's successful with a few riders initially, most other riders and teams would catch on and the risk of just "one" rider or team getting caught goes up exponentially. Similar to when EPO was introduced into peloton, it didn't take long for virtually everyone to start using it and it was no secret anymore. If a significant number of riders are using motors that's a lot of people involved; mechanics, team staff and the like. And where do they hide all these bikes at? The more motorized bikes, the more they can get lost and eventually discovered.

If motors are being used, IMO, it would be catastrophic for the sport. It would make PED use look like child's play. If LeMond at 55 with a bad back and in jeans can go out and "motor" at 60 kph, then most anyone could compete with the right setup. It would be motorized cycling...egregious :(

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site

Netserk"]^^Strawmen and shifting the goalposts.

How about you actually answered the (quite simple) questions? If you do that, I will answer yours.[/quote]

Now provide me links to your outraged posts about Sapstead and UKADA's 'investigation' into the Linda McCartney team.[/quote]

My suggestion is if you insist on being verbose and bombastic that you directly answer valid questions, rather than avoiding questions - There is no rule that states you must follow sport - It seems to make you unhappy.[/quote]

My posts are avoiding nothing mate, keep your 'suggestions' to yourself. Where was Netserk's 'valid' question? My whole point (again, for the zillionth time) is that fanbois like yourself and Netserk and all the other gargoyle lovers are actually complicit in destroying something that could be fantastic. Why are you choosing to engage with me rather than GB? Netserk also had the effrontery to imply I was a 'fair-weather fan' which is sort of what you're saying too, and by extension implying that your version of 'fandom' has some sort of elevated status. So you're not only insulting but simultaneously self-aggrandising. Pathetic.[/quote]

You obviously don't read posts - Answer direct questions rather than using terms like 'fanbois' and 'gargoyle' to deflect arguments - You can't seem to understand there has been corruption/doping etc in sports, especially professional sports, for over a hundred years - Carping and whinging about it will achieve little.[/quote]

You mean you don't read posts I think. My answer to Netserk's non-question/point was NO.

And again, why are you engaging with me rather than the apathetic doping enablers? If you'd bother reading my posts you'd see that unlike you I do think something can be done about this. Have you made your views known re: UKADA's 'investigation' into Team Linda McCartney for instance? Any outraged posts? Are you even aware of the reasons why Sapstead would be reluctant to look into this? The links to Team Sky? Do you care?

https://youtu.be/ZwMVMbmQBug[/quote]

Actually I did look back at some of your posts and most if not all of them are very vague on anything to do with anything.
You hang around for a while in 2013 then disappeared and came back when the Sky story started to gather steam in October this year, with lots of righteous indignation and spouting lots of abuse about sapstead and sky.

So what is it you think can be done in this utopia you speak of?
Even though every part of society has cheating embedded in it (from schools tests, to banking, to insurance fraud, to politics, to sport to policing, in almost every country around the world their is corruption and cheating in most walks of life ) but apparently you can solve it in cycling so I am all ears. You may be able to solve one of humanity's greatest failings. I am sure a nobel is in your imminent future.

Also It would be nice to know exactly why the Lynda McCartney thing has got so far under your skin and why you will not let it go and keep mentioning it? Just a curious question on that topic by the way.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

Nomad said:
A few counterpoints:

On LeMond: He has a mechanic build him a motor in a bike, he rides at 60 kph with a bad back and in jeans, and concludes motors might be in the peloton? Does he have any first hand knowledge?
from what I understood, yes he has.

If so, why won't he mention any rider(s), teams or particulary incidents?
if Lemond does have names of riders and/or teams, what would be the point of just throwing accusations into the press in an uncontrolled manner? It would be much more effective to look for an interested journo and investigate. Then run a story.
If you listened to the Gilroy-Lance interview, it seemed to hint at an upcoming story about motors. Who knows Lemond was involved in that.

I don’t call that a whistleblower, but more in the realm of suspicion.
Of course, that wasn't real whistleblowing. But it wasnt something one should dismiss as meaningless either.

(btw, I didn't think you were very keen on LeMond?).
Since you ask:
I doubt his motives for going after Lance at the time, but apart from that I actually like the guy (as I have said previously). I mean, I think he's by far the least annoying of all those former pro tv personalities. And at times he definitely has interesting and pertinent things to say about cheating. Unlike say Flecha, Lemond is clearly not all omerta. At times it's even as if he's desperate to talk about his own doping ;) (see the Testa issue, for instance, or his piece about TUEs).
I've also stressed multiple times that the question whether Lemond doped is completely irrespective of what me and you think of him as a person. Being fascinated by that question doesn't make me a Lemond hater.

I've look at some of the threads on motor doping ...snipped...
some interesting points, but if you want to take up this discussion why not do so in the respective threads. I wouldn't mind if you'd bump one of them. It's a fascinating topic, and if we are to believe Gilroy, there is a new story coming.

After watching less and less of the NFL the past few seasons, I finally decided to pull the plug completely this season. It was a combination of issues which made me decide I'd had enough including:

• Concussions: The scenes with Mike Webster and Junior Seau in the League of Denial documentary really got to me. What I took away from the film was you could see what a massive financial juggernaut the NFL is and despite this how far they were willing to go to put player safety at risk over even the slightest risk that bad publicity surrounding concussions would impact their bottom line. Since the documentary aired it seems little has changed, the NFL continues to do the bare minimum necessary to combat the issue.
  • Performance Enhancing Drugs: Watching the NFL today reminds me of watching cycling during the worst of the doping years during the 1990s and early 2000s. You see the same kind of super human athleticism that was seen in cycling back then. I suspect the NFL has the same institutionalized PED issues that cycling had, especially when you consider the NFL's testing and penalty system which continues to be light years behind cycling and has no chance of being an effective deterrent. The NFL clearly has no intention of doing anything about this situation. In particular last year you had the Al Jazeera report which contained multiple leads that could have been followed up on, and two investigative pieces about Tom Brady and the Patriots (I'm a Boston fan btw) relationship with Alex Guerrero which reminds me strongly of the relationship Lance Armstrong and the Postal Service team had with Dr. Ferarri. Both reports were quickly swept under the rug.
  • Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault: It has been difficult to watch the number of cases of domestic violence and sexual assault involving NFL players while the league stands by and largely does nothing. Players like Ben Rothlisberger with multiple sexual assault accusations against him and the despicable Greg Hardy get off with a slap on the wrist and go right back to their multi-million dollar contracts. The Greg Hardy case was the last straw for me even after the pathetic suspension reduction how quickly the Cowboys were willing to sign him.
  • Richie Incognito and the Dolphins: I read the whole report concerning the situation with Richie Incognito and the Dolphins. This report provided a window into the type of behavior I suspect is typical in NFL locker rooms. While it probably isn't fair to tar the entire league based on this one report, I was disgusted by the behavior of many of the players and suspect this kind of atmosphere is prevalent in many NFL locker rooms.

My tuning out the NFL is not going to do much to address any of the above issues, but it still felt like the right thing to do.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Rob27172 said:
Netserk"]^^Strawmen and shifting the goalposts.

Now provide me links to your outraged posts about Sapstead and UKADA's 'investigation' into the Linda McCartney team.[/quote]

My suggestion is if you insist on being verbose and bombastic that you directly answer valid questions, rather than avoiding questions - There is no rule that states you must follow sport - It seems to make you unhappy.[/quote]

My posts are avoiding nothing mate, keep your 'suggestions' to yourself. Where was Netserk's 'valid' question? My whole point (again, for the zillionth time) is that fanbois like yourself and Netserk and all the other gargoyle lovers are actually complicit in destroying something that could be fantastic. Why are you choosing to engage with me rather than GB? Netserk also had the effrontery to imply I was a 'fair-weather fan' which is sort of what you're saying too, and by extension implying that your version of 'fandom' has some sort of elevated status. So you're not only insulting but simultaneously self-aggrandising. Pathetic.[/quote]

You obviously don't read posts - Answer direct questions rather than using terms like 'fanbois' and 'gargoyle' to deflect arguments - You can't seem to understand there has been corruption/doping etc in sports, especially professional sports, for over a hundred years - Carping and whinging about it will achieve little.[/quote]

https://youtu.be/ZwMVMbmQBug[/quote]

Actually I did look back at some of your posts and most if not all of them are very vague on anything to do with anything.
You hang around for a while in 2013 then disappeared and came back when the Sky story started to gather steam in October this year, with lots of righteous indignation and spouting lots of abuse about sapstead and sky.

So what is it you think can be done in this utopia you speak of?
Even though every part of society has cheating embedded in it (from schools tests, to banking, to insurance fraud, to politics, to sport to policing, in almost every country around the world their is corruption and cheating in most walks of life ) but apparently you can solve it in cycling so I am all ears. You may be able to solve one of humanity's greatest failings. I am sure a nobel is in your imminent future.

Also It would be nice to know exactly why the Lynda McCartney thing has got so far under your skin and why you will not let it go and keep mentioning it? Just a curious question on that topic by the way.[/quote

If you'd genuinely read all my posts from back in the Lance period (I haven't even gone back to look at them myself) you'd see that Hoberman figures large. He's a Texan professor of Germanic studies who also happens to be probably the worlds foremost published scholar on the subject of doping in sports. One of his main areas of interest and expertise on this subject is to do with Sportive Nationalism. This theme ties in directly to the (obvious to a blind man) subject of Nicole Sapstead and UKADA's risible (i.e. nonexistent) 'investigation' into the Linda McCartney team. Cycling news finally got around to asking how the 'investigation' was getting along four years later. There is a report on here on the response they got.
I keep harping on about the same topic (uber-fans' complicity in the shoddy state of cycling) because I happen to think I'm correct. It's not an original insight of mine by the way, Hoberman identifies it as one of the main problems in world sport/doping. If enough people were angry enough, and demanded for instance that the likes of Cookson and Sapstead were held to account, then that would be a major boost in solving what otherwise seems an intractable problem. It's pretty simple to understand, but people seem incredibly resistant to seeing it.

Blakeslee said:
After watching less and less of the NFL the past few seasons, I finally decided to pull the plug completely this season. It was a combination of issues which made me decide I'd had enough including:

• Concussions: The scenes with Mike Webster and Junior Seau in the League of Denial documentary really got to me. What I took away from the film was you could see what a massive financial juggernaut the NFL is and despite this how far they were willing to go to put player safety at risk over even the slightest risk that bad publicity surrounding concussions would impact their bottom line. Since the documentary aired it seems little has changed, the NFL continues to do the bare minimum necessary to combat the issue.
  • Performance Enhancing Drugs: Watching the NFL today reminds me of watching cycling during the worst of the doping years during the 1990s and early 2000s. You see the same kind of super human athleticism that was seen in cycling back then. I suspect the NFL has the same institutionalized PED issues that cycling had, especially when you consider the NFL's testing and penalty system which continues to be light years behind cycling and has no chance of being an effective deterrent. The NFL clearly has no intention of doing anything about this situation. In particular last year you had the Al Jazeera report which contained multiple leads that could have been followed up on, and two investigative pieces about Tom Brady and the Patriots (I'm a Boston fan btw) relationship with Alex Guerrero which reminds me strongly of the relationship Lance Armstrong and the Postal Service team had with Dr. Ferarri. Both reports were quickly swept under the rug.
  • Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault: It has been difficult to watch the number of cases of domestic violence and sexual assault involving NFL players while the league stands by and largely does nothing. Players like Ben Rothlisberger with multiple sexual assault accusations against him and the despicable Greg Hardy get off with a slap on the wrist and go right back to their multi-million dollar contracts. The Greg Hardy case was the last straw for me even after the pathetic suspension reduction how quickly the Cowboys were willing to sign him.
  • Richie Incognito and the Dolphins: I read the whole report concerning the situation with Richie Incognito and the Dolphins. This report provided a window into the type of behavior I suspect is typical in NFL locker rooms. While it probably isn't fair to tar the entire league based on this one report, I was disgusted by the behavior of many of the players and suspect this kind of atmosphere is prevalent in many NFL locker rooms.

My tuning out the NFL is not going to do much to address any of the above issues, but it still felt like the right thing to do.
I watch less & less football preferring to watch cycling & triathlon any day. Growing up as a youngster in the 70s, the NFL was limited to a few games televised on NBC & CBS, and the iconic Monday night game. Now the viewership is off the charts with every game available during the regular season; the playoffs, the colossal Super Bowl, the draft & the Combine. Factor in Fantasy Football...and this is unprecedented popularity. Billionaire owners, futeristic mega-stadiums and addictive fans willing to pay anything to get their fix. Even the UK wants a piece of the action as London is pushing for a franchise by 2022.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It is bread and circuses as Juvenal observed. Even by the categories of paganism by which Western civilization now defines itself sports are ridiculous (Juvenal was writing AD but the Roman Empire still remained steadfastly pagan before Constantine). If we lived in a moral environment a Christian theologian, for example, would surely advise either king or emperor that sports represent a danger to the moral health of a nation. The cult of Armstrong is an excellent example of a society debased of any morals or sense of truth. The great American film maker John Ford, 2000 years after Juvenal, makes the same point in his 1962 revisionist Western The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance: a journalist, on hearing the truth about the murder of the notorious outlaw Liberty Valance, comments that "This is the West sir when legend becomes fact print the legend". He thus refuses to acknowledge the reality and continues to print lies.

Grandillusion said:
Apologies to DirtyWorks, Bennotti, Hog and all the regular genuine fans who really care about the sport's integrity. Their relentless sleuthing is inspiring.
toxic sceptics and cynics that ecstatically dissect how mean sky, cookson, armstong or contador can be don't seem to be able to get where each of them stands at.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
dacooley said:
Grandillusion said:
Apologies to DirtyWorks, Bennotti, Hog and all the regular genuine fans who really care about the sport's integrity. Their relentless sleuthing is inspiring.
toxic sceptics and cynics that ecstatically dissect how mean sky, cookson, armstong or contador can be don't seem to be able to get where each of them stands at.

'Toxic sceptics' or not (and I certainly don't categorise them as such) they seem to be the only people doing the sort of work that Cookson, Sapstead and every other 'turn a blind eye' administrator/doping enabler are paid to do. It beats me why you've got a downer on them rather than people who should really be the focus of your contempt.

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site

Grandillusion said:
kingjr said:
Sorry for OT, but please, for Christ's sake learn how to quote properly.

I apologise, however back on topic, here's a link on the Sapstead/UKADA 'investigation' into doping in Team Linda McCartney :
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/has-ukad-failed-to-investigate-the-linda-mccartney-team/

Ever heard of Sean Yates? Any links between him and Team Sky? Any links between Team Sky and British Cycling? Any links between UKADA and UK Sport?

OK I get it you don't like UKAD and BC and Team Linda, but the fact is there are links between every team and every other team and every sports body involved in cycling it is how the sport works and how the Omerta stays intact. So what exactly were you hoping would come out of an investigation into a team long since gone by a body that has no interest in digging up old corpses, in a sport which has had multiple investigations into multiple teams and done nothing about anything?

The fact is that the sport is the sport.

You either accept it or move on and find something else to do.

Personally I dont think the demoralisation of the human race is going to slow down any time soon as Buckles mentions in an earlier post. But equally that has been ongoing for centuries as well.

If you want to change the sport get out from behind the keyboard and sign up for a local federation or governing body, they are always looking for new people and staff members or volunteers to serve on boards and other committees and groups.

And before everyone starts turning that around - I did - for a number of years (not cycling as it wasn't something I believe about strongly enough)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Rob 27172 :
More 'cycling is cycling', 'sport is sport' vapidity, sorry. I'm trying to get you to get angry, I was trying that four years ago on here, but nothing's changed. Unless the fans stop their willful blindness to the obvious corruption and graft at the top of their sport then nothing is likely to change. It's so obvious but no amount of repetition seems to penetrate the brick wall. I'm only a 'fair weather' fan, one of the despised breed according to the gospel of Netserk. I've zero interest in becoming a cog in any federation, thanks. You think the type of work you're talking about has the slightest effect on those in Aigle? Pull the other one. The only way this nonsense will ever be stopped is if enough fans get angry enough to scream in Cooksons face 'I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!'. Repeatedly and loudly. Why is that so hard to understand?