• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Strade Bianche 2013, March 2nd, 188 kms 1.1

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
maltiv said:
Blanco are riding for Boom though, according to Nordhaug at least.

Imo both Slagter and Nordhaug are much better candidates. I doubt Boom will survive the hills and even if he does, the final hill is probably too much for him.

Yes i agree. I don'tgive Boom a bigger chance than slagter or nordhaug to play a role in the final and and if for example the 3 of them get to ride the final km together Boom would probably end last.

Let's see if blanco can play a role at all today. I hope so.

maltiv said:

Imo both Slagter and Nordhaug are much better candidates. I doubt Boom will survive the hills and even if he does, the final hill is probably too much for him.
I read that article, but with my limited Norwegian (;)) I didn't read that they will ride only for Boom, just that he has a chance as a former cyclocross world champion.

From that team I'd give someone like Martens more of a chance, and Nordhaug, but he doesn't seem to be too convinced about his own form.

can't see blanco playing just one card and with slagter firing early surely he will show himself today at some stage.

Agree about Gatto this could be his time. Another to watch is Visconti hes always thereabouts in this race and this will be 4th year in row been inside top 25 each time a podium is possible.

SafeBet said:
First link says content is not available at the moment. It doesnt say if it will be on later.

Second link is from 2012 so just forget it.

Later I'll browse their website to check what's going on.

Ha! That's what I thought but then saw the 2013 in the date, weird.

Oh well, lots of angry tweets for Acquarone over the coming months.

manafana said:
can't see blanco playing just one card and with slagter firing early surely he will show himself today at some stage.

Agree about Gatto this could be his time. Another to watch is Visconti hes always thereabouts in this race and this will be 4th year in row been inside top 25 each time a podium is possible.

I suggest they tell Slagter to try to keep up with the favourites and see if he can win the uphill sprint. Better let others attack.

Gatto, visconti are both indeed also minor favourites. Actually there are plenty of contenders today. Should be a good race!

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Maybe not broadcasting on the gazzetta website is part ofthe rai-RCS agreement, since also rai is broadcasting the race online and they don't want to lose viewer.

BEV8UBzCMAEyQ78.jpg:large

I'm really looking forward to this race, it's one of the best out there. I just don't know whether I should watch it live or wait for Eurosports delayed coverage with Danish commentators.. Hmm!

For the race, it's hard to look past Sagan for this one. This is like the perfect race for him. Weird that he didn't do so well last year, actually.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
I read that article, but with my limited Norwegian (;)) I didn't read that they will ride only for Boom, just that he has a chance as a former cyclocross world champion.

From that team I'd give someone like Martens more of a chance, and Nordhaug, but he doesn't seem to be too convinced about his own form.

But in the startlist they give Slagter the first number I think, while the rest is designated alphabetically. But yeah, an article is probably more trustworthy than the numbers.

Ah well, their team is really strong, but they have no clear favourite. With a bit of luck they can have a good tactic because of their team strength, but with a bit of bad luck they'll ride anonymously with no decent result.

In rabo days I would've called for the fail option, but now Blanco has their chance to continue the succesful streak against a good field. Not expecting too muh; just looking forward to what they'll do and to this race in general, because it's awesome :D

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Should be very interesting, because of the quality field.
In an old tradition, i'd go with Cancellara ftw.

Sagan will be hard to beat, if a select group arrives together a l'ultimo muro.:D

Maaaaaaaarten said:
But in the startlist they give Slagter the first number I think, while the rest is designated alphabetically. But yeah, an article is probably more trustworthy than the numbers.

Ah well, their team is really strong, but they have no clear favourite. With a bit of luck they can have a good tactic because of their team strength, but with a bit of bad luck they'll ride anonymously with no decent result.

In rabo days I would've called for the fail option, but now Blanco has their chance to continue the succesful streak against a good field. Not expecting too muh; just looking forward to what they'll do and to this race in general, because it's awesome :D
Slagter probably got #1 from the organizers because he's the leader in the WT, whatever that signifies. Their team is not that strong, they're two riders down to begin with (Hofland and Wynants, both sick) and Boom and Vanmarcke are sick as well. Then there's Nordhaug with his knee injury, and you're not left with too many credible cards to play.

maltiv said:

Indeed. Also I don't think Slagter and Nordhaug will literally work for Boom, they will have at least a free role

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Slagter probably got #1 from the organizers because he's the leader in the WT, whatever that signifies. Their team is not that strong, they're two riders down to begin with (Hofland and Wynants, both sick) and Boom and Vanmarcke are sick as well. Then there's Nordhaug with his knee injury, and you're not left with too many credible cards to play.

Where have you heard Boom was sick aswell? To my knowledge only Wynants, Hofland and Vanmarcke have been sick. And Nordhaugg with bad knee ofcourse

TRENDING THREADS