• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tvy5bxNW_400x400.jpg

1500x500

The best non-monument race, which should by now be a monument. It's always exciting and hard racing, with lots of gravel and climbing.
Wout and Pog won't be here unfortunately, so can anyone beat Matthieu Van Der Poel?

Notable mentions: MVDP, Bilbao, Vlasov, Mohoric, Pidcock, Sheffield, Benoot, Bettiol. Alaphilippe, Costa, Wellens, Lutsensko

8ivXkZU.png

Live video stream available on Eurosport/GCN.

3qRUBFk.png

Full startlist (not yet final):

SB22_ME_alt.jpg

Women's race

Notable mentions: Van Vleuten, Longho Borghini, Kopecky, Balsamo, Moolman

TTl3qD7.png

Live video stream available on Eurosport/GCN.

pIxb4WC.png

Full startlist (not yet final):

SB22_WE_alt.jpg

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think the general consensus is that people would prefer seperate threads for races like this.
Besides, the women's SB deserve it's own thread!

Oh, I was of the opinion that for races basically happening on the same day, at the same time, on basically the same route, it's a bit easier for just one thread. But I don't mind a separate threads, if anyone makes it.

Well, now I hope Masnada wins, just to watch you struggle. :smilingimp:
Well, first of all I think Strade Bianche is an important race that deserves its WT status and is generally entertaining. I like it.

I just don't think it should be a monument , I think it's a little overrated/overhyped and not the best nonmonument race of the year.

As for Fausto, he just arrive in Tenerife yesterday. Next race Catalunya

It will be very interesting to see Simmons here. SB is probably his biggest target this spring.

He seems to have taken a step forward in his development going into this season and he is in good form. Won a stage in San Juan, where he finished 10th overall. He also finished 5th in Drome Classic this past weekend.

Last year he finished 16th in Drome and then went on to finish 7th in Strade.

He should definitely be viewed as an outsider behind MVDP, Ala and Pidcock. At least for a shot at being on the podium.

Well, first of all I think Strade Bianche is an important race that deserves its WT status and is generally entertaining. I like it.

I just don't think it should be a monument , I think it's a little overrated/overhyped and not the best nonmonument race of the year.

As for Fausto, he just arrive in Tenerife yesterday. Next race Catalunya

It is definitely not overrated. It usually has quite a bit of exciting racing, there's at least something happening from rather early on, it does have an original concept, great landscape, epic finish, and, that's the most important factor, for a 16 year old race it has a winner's list that is nothing short of spectacular.
If you win it you are definitely the strongest rider on the day. No tactics will help you win it. But nonetheless we hardly ever know the winner beforehand.
Should it be a monument? Well, that's another question, there's the length/shortness that speaks against it, but I cannot call this race overrated.

It's a wonderful race, unique in its character, and offers something none of the other monuments do. But it's going to have to get a fair bit longer to become a monument. And while generally I support the idea that it could or should be a monument eventually, I think the sport should not be too hasty with this kind of thing, and it needs to stand the test of time. Give it another 20 years, IMO. If it still is as important and gets to the required length, then I could see it being included.

It is definitely not overrated. It usually has quite a bit of exciting racing, there's at least something happening from rather early on, it does have an original concept, great landscape, epic finish, and, that's the most important factor, for a 16 year old race it has a winner's list that is nothing short of spectacular.
If you win it you are definitely the strongest rider on the day. No tactics will help you win it. But nonetheless we hardly ever know the winner beforehand.
Should it be a monument? Well, that's another question, there's the length/shortness that speaks against it, but I cannot call this race overrated.

Of course the one time tactics did decide the race, it had to be Sagan who sacrificed the victory :(

• Sad
Reactions: Sandisfan and BR2
It's not like Milano SanRemo is more exciting, it's longer sure, but all the action is always at the end.

Samremo last 15 mins is the most exciting racing you will watch all season.
If you win it you are definitely the strongest rider on the day
That's wrong

No tactics will help you win it
Also wrong. And tactics make a race better, no worse.
usually has quite a bit of exciting racing, there's at least something happening from rather early on
So do loads of other races.

Strade Bianche it's just a good WT race. Well, it's subjective isn't it, I guess.

That's wrong

So do loads of other races.

Strade Bianche it's just a good WT race. Well, it's subjective isn't it, I guess.

You're definitely not right here. Apart from 2013, name one instance where the strongest rider didn't win.

Just because Van Aert won it once, it doesn't mean the race has no merit.

It certainly can be.

Also wrong.
Seems fairly obvious that the Strade winner is determined far more by strength than tactics. Watch how the race is generally won, by attrition and strong attacks. View winner list.

They can or not, depends on the race. Paris-Roubaix says hello.

Apart from 2013, name one instance where the strongest rider didn't win.

Well how could I argue with such an elaborate response.
Sorry I am on the train after flying I'm quite tired.

They can or not, depends on the race. Paris-Roubaix says hello
Hi Paris - Roubaix. Good tactical win by Van Baarle last year. Colbrelli tactics were also very clever the year before. Regards.

Reactions: Lequack
Hi Paris - Roubaix. Good tactical win by Van Baarle last year. Colbrelli tactics were also very clever the year before. Regards.

Come on dude. Every race is a blend of tactics and strength. If you don't think Paris Roubaix leans WAAAAY to the strength side, I don't know what to tell you. You don't get to the finale with tactics. You have it or you don't. Strade is slightly to the left of Roubaix on the Tactics/Strength continuum. The argument that "tactics make the race better" is wholly put to bed by the example of Roubaix, the least tactical classic there is.

Sometimes a big tactical component makes the race more interesting and good racing ensues from an exciting and tactical situation. Sometimes guys just mark one another out of a big race, or GT teams run 9 guy trains up the mountains and kill races, and those tactics make a race boring.

Speaking unequivocally about such a thing is silly.

Come on dude. Every race is a blend of tactics and strength. If you don't think Paris Roubaix leans WAAAAY to the strength side, I don't know what to tell you. You don't get to the finale with tactics. You have it or you don't. Strade is slightly to the left of Roubaix on the Tactics/Strength continuum. The argument that "tactics make the race better" is wholly put to bed by the example of Roubaix, the least tactical classic there is.

Sometimes a big tactical component makes the race more interesting and good racing ensues from an exciting and tactical situation. Sometimes guys just mark one another out of a big race, or GT teams run 9 guy trains up the mountains and kill races, and those tactics make a race boring.

Speaking unequivocally about such a thing is silly.

Roubaix is more tactical than Strade? I don't think so. Both are brutal but when you reach the end in Roubaix, there can be played a LOT of games in the final five kilometres.

In Strade, there is no such opportunities because it will all be decided on the Via Santa Caterina.

TRENDING THREADS