• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Strade Bianche: August 1, 2020

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah that final rise to Siena never makes any sense. It just seems to favor a different sort of rider every year for no apparent reason.

2013:
"Francesco Moser wins but Peter Sagan is the strongest out of the 2nd group which bodes well for him for the future"

"So you think a sprinter like Sagan has a chance there? Oh you are wrong as he gets destroyed by the better climber Kwiatkowski"

"So that mean it will get pretty embarassing for Stybar a year later against GVA and Valverde as they are a lot more similar to kwiat and both climb better than Stybar aaaaaand Stybar wins of course"

"Well maybe that just means Stybar is an anomaly and that ramp just really suits him. So clearly an old and heavy Cancellara will have no chance against him whatsoever and Cancellara wins...obviously"

Yeah that final rise to Siena never makes any sense. It just seems to favor a different sort of rider every year for no apparent reason.

2013:
"Francesco Moser wins but Peter Sagan is the strongest out of the 2nd group which bodes well for him for the future"

"So you think a sprinter like Sagan has a chance there? Oh you are wrong as he gets destroyed by the better climber Kwiatkowski"

"So that mean it will get pretty embarassing for Stybar a year later against GVA and Valverde as they are a lot more similar to kwiat and both climb better than Stybar aaaaaand Stybar wins of course"

"Well maybe that just means Stybar is an anomaly and that ramp just really suits him. So clearly an old and heavy Cancellara will have no chance against him whatsoever and Cancellara wins...obviously"

That's probably one of the reasons (just like the landscape and the possible mud) this race has become so popular so fast. There seems to be a certain type of rider for this, but there are a lot of ways it can play out.

I think this year the heat might take out Pogacar or Benoot - or it might not. I suppose van der Poel and Lutsenko could profit.

2013:

Excellent points. I don’t have any data to back this up, but I wonder if, even though it is not a long race in km, the nature of those long climbs on strade take a lot out of riders, so that they’re not able to save energy throughout the race. Canc once said something about being able to win big races only if they were made hard enough, which would take some of the snap out of some riders legs.
So the rider who wins in Sienna may not be the best climber on paper. But obviously being a climber helps, as Van Aert intimates (in the post up thread) in saying he would have to finish alone to win.

2013:

There's harder climbs before, so anyone who would normally be counted out there has long been dropped. The race is so hard it's more about being fresh than being an uphill sprinter, though when equally dead I think it should still suit the puncheurs more, although generally sprinting while dead seems to be a rather specific quality.

It's also just very short. Super short steep climbs that are still under 70m in altitude difference are just weird.

Reactions: memyselfandI
Another kind of rainbow jersey
movistar-k1iE--1081x611@Gazzetta-Web_1081x611.jpg

specially for Strade Bianchi

Reactions: Carols
What a field we have for this race. And what a diverse field as well. VDP should be the favorite here, but there are so many who could win this race. I think Schachmann will be extremely strong, and I'm looking forward to seeing Teuns here as well, as this race should actually suit him really, really well.

What a field we have for this race. And what a diverse field as well. VDP should be the favorite here, but there are so many who could win this race. I think Schachmann will be extremely strong, and I'm looking forward to seeing Teuns here as well, as this race should actually suit him really, really well.
Yes, i already mentioned Teuns as my dark horse. It's incredible how well he stays under the radar here. Should be a top 5 favorite here, imho.

TRENDING THREADS