• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Summary Reactions Armstrong Ban

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There's good reason why the Pro's are not talking or deriding what is unfolding.

This is as much about Armstrong as it is about Ferrari, Del Moral, Pepi and the UCI.

What rider in their right mind critise that set-up? Thats their life blood, supplier, protector and pay cheque right there.

I would add that the comments are strangely similar. Like the governeing body has advised teams how to respond.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I have interacted with Klaus Mueller a lot at races - he was a commissaire, and he was an arrogant *** who never appeared to give a toss about riders - he's a barrister - and always seemed about the power. Man he loved to order people around. He's now president of our national federation.

I have not seen Mueller's speech, but it looks like a law lecturer at a local uni has ripped it apart here: http://theconversation.edu.au/is-the-lance-armstrong-affair-a-race-to-the-bottom-for-cycling-9073

Looks like the author has done some other things that will be worth looking into - including something about the ABP.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Geraint Thomas

This I can understand

My Twitter feed was full of the story, as you can imagine, with some people already "trash talking" cycling.
I have ridden a bike since I was four, raced since I was 10. I love this sport. It is my life, as it is to my team-mates. So to read these comments is heartbreaking.

This less so

There's a new generation, so to see it dragged through the dirt again, for something which may or may not have taken place a decade ago, is extremely annoying.

More...

A section from Nicolas Roches' Irish Independent column on Saturday last.

"I'm no expert but there seems to be more and more stuff coming out now, from former team-mates' confessions to accusations of the UCI taking cheques and covering up stuff for years. Maybe I'm being naive but I really hope thats not true.

Hopefully the commitment USADA have shown in chasing the sports biggest star and eventually bringing him down will discourage riders of my generation from even contemplating doping and I hope they will continue to chase the people I am racing against now.

If the outcome discourages others from doping, its a good thing."

I have to give kudos to Roche, this is what I would have expected from most pros. No need to put the boot into Armstrong but at least recognise the process and the the possible plus side of this investigation and the hope that anti-doping authorities will continue to be vigilant in their war against the cheats.

pmcg76 said:

"I'm no expert but there seems to be more and more stuff coming out now, from former team-mates' confessions to accusations of the UCI taking cheques and covering up stuff for years. Maybe I'm being naive but I really hope thats not true.

Hopefully the commitment USADA have shown in chasing the sports biggest star and eventually bringing him down will discourage riders of my generation from even contemplating doping and I hope they will continue to chase the people I am racing against now.

I have to give kudos to Roche, this is what I would have expected from most pros. No need to put the boot into Armstrong but at least recognise the process and the the possible plus side of this investigation and the hope that anti-doping authorities will continue to be vigilant in their war against the cheats.

Indeed Roche deserves credit for these comments. He stands out from the crowd.

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Thor Hushovd interviewed in Norwegian: http://www.vg.no/sport/sykkel/artikkel.php?artid=10068100

A few interesting passages:

"Riders who cheat deserves to be punished."

"This is difficult because Lance never tested positive. It all boils down to some people who, for various reasons, talk about what they've seen and heard. The case had been a done deal if there was a positive test."

"I can't say it's unpleasant that someone I know may have done something wrong. But if things are like some people claim, it's bad."

"Do you think Armstrong cheated? I can't comment on that."

"Would you be afraid to voice your opinion about Armstrong? I don't want to answer that question. Sometimes you say a lot, sometimes very little [...] to avoid a lot of noise."

"If my buddy is arrested for DUI he's still my buddy, but it is disappointing if this is correct."

From reading the interview I get a strong feeling that Hushovd knows too much to defend Armstrong, but doesn't dare to condemn or critizise him either.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
LouieLouie said:
Thor Hushovd interviewed in Norwegian: http://www.vg.no/sport/sykkel/artikkel.php?artid=10068100

A few interesting passages:

"Riders who cheat deserves to be punished."

"This is difficult because Lance never tested positive. It all boils down to some people who, for various reasons, talk about what they've seen and heard. The case had been a done deal if there was a positive test."

"I can't say it's unpleasant that someone I know may have done something wrong. But if things are like some people claim, it's bad."

"Do you think Armstrong cheated? I can't comment on that."

"Would you be afraid to voice your opinion about Armstrong? I don't want to answer that question. Sometimes you say a lot, sometimes very little [...] to avoid a lot of noise."

"If my buddy is arrested for DUI he's still my buddy, but it is disappointing if this is correct."

From reading the interview I get a strong feeling that Hushovd knows too much to defend Armstrong, but doesn't dare to condemn or critizise him either.

Hmmmm. One might view Hushvods recent performances over the last few years in a new light.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
I thought Mosquera's piece would get some sort of response, given how nauseating it was. I truly think he won the "worst reaction" contest.

A doper with Armstrong like performance jumps. One saved it for july, the other for septembre. What did you expect from such a, let me quote Wiggins: "w.ank.er"?

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
A doper with Armstrong like performance jumps. One saved it for july, the other for septembre. What did you expect from such a, let me quote Wiggins: "w.ank.er"?

You made the post about how Eze had a huge jump, in your Mosquera thread 2 years ago, and it was countered by people pointing out that he had never ridden a gt before coming top 5 in La vuelta, and that he had been performing at a very high ability in Portugal before that.

Doping yes, performance jump, not so much.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
You made the post about how Eze had a huge jump, in your Mosquera thread 2 years ago, and it was countered by people pointing out that he had never ridden a gt before coming top 5 in La vuelta, and that he had been performing at a very high ability in Portugal before that.

Doping yes, performance jump, not so much.

It was the high age that made me doubt him very much before he actually got caught. Then people tried to convince me with obscure portugal results, like the same way i tried to defend Froome last week. ;) In the end, i stood by my doubtness.

Anyway this, sorry to quote Wiggins again, "c.un.t" is history. And that´s good.

thehog said:
There's good reason why the Pro's are not talking or deriding what is unfolding.

This is as much about Armstrong as it is about Ferrari, Del Moral, Pepi and the UCI.

What rider in their right mind critise that set-up? Thats their life blood, supplier, protector and pay cheque right there.

I would add that the comments are strangely similar. Like the governeing body has advised teams how to respond.

Strange, indeed.
Almost like thought control collars....shades of 'star trek' !

May 10, 2011
Visit site
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8310275/armstrong-worth-honoring

Sigh. Just terrible press.

So Lance Armstrong may have cheated, just like everybody else. Or maybe he gave up the fight because the whole thing was more crooked than San Francisco's Lombard St. After all, USADA convicted him on hearsay, not proof. They don't have a single failed sample to hang their hats on -- Armstrong has never failed one -- so they took the word of riders like self-admitted liar Floyd Landis. The whole thing, all their evidence, is based on testimony, not tests.

He has no freaking clue what he's talking about at all. This is about as pathetic as journalism gets. I'm very disappointed that this makes the front of ESPN, not the facts. I feel bad for Bonnie Ford.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
pmcg76 said:

I really want to lose my temper and shout about nit-minds and behaviour. I am trying to control it. POST THE LINK. That is worth saying again.

POST THE LINK.

I went to the Independent and reviewed Roche's columns, that I could find, and I could NOT find the words you say he said. This means Nick Roche DID NOT SAY THOSE THINGS.

Post a link.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts