• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sunday 16th Jan: Cancer Council Classic, 51km

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
5th wheel, I think Cav and henderson fell, that's why it was between 2 sky riders and 2 HTC riders. A bit underwhelming.

Yup. Renshaw was the next wheel, backed of a bike length and then came around the sliding Sky rider with Goss on his wheel. Caused a 10 metre gap and so bye-bye to Cavenwhinge, Greipel and Alby. Robbie did what he always does and snuck through the carnage for a well placed 3rd.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Wow. A pancake flat crit in January as a precursor to a race of nothing but sprints was "underwhelming". That's pretty damn bad.

I felt like cutting my testicles off listening to Phil, Tomalaris and Paul tonight. I was bored ****less by it tonight. Plus all that I listed in my prior posts made it a disastrous night!

auscyclefan94 said:
I felt like cutting my testicles off listening to Phil, Tomalaris and Paul tonight. I was bored ****less by it tonight. Plus all that I listed in my prior posts made it a disastrous night!

Well, the problem I have is twofold. If you were underwhelmed by the race, that means it disappointed your expectations, which leads to one of two horrifying conclusions:

1) you actually had expectations
2) your expectations were realistic, but the race was even worse than anticipated

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Well, the problem I have is twofold. If you were underwhelmed by the race, that means it disappointed your expectations, which leads to one of two horrifying conclusions:

1) you actually had expectations
2) your expectations were realistic, but the race was even worse than anticipated

I had the expectation of an alright race but it wasn't overly attacking. From a general spectators POV it wasn't great. The worst thing was that the crash right near the finish really stuffed everything up.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
1 Matthew Goss HTC-Highroad 1:05:12
2 Mark Renshaw HTC-Highroad st
3 Robbie McEwen Radio Shack st
4 Elia Viviani Liquigas-Cannondale st
5 Christopher Sutton Sky Procycling st
6 Laurens Ten Dam Rabobank st
7 Ben Swift Sky Procycling st
8 Jose Joaquin Rojas Movistar st
9 Fabio Sabatini Liquigas-Cannondale st
10 Allan Davis Astana st

LTD aiming for a new specialty?

You know it's one of Libertine's favourite races when this is the view at the back of the peloton:

PIC173222S.jpg

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

At least you had live pictures, most of us resorted to listening to the race on Aussie radio which was like watching paint dry.

But my pick Sutton came 5th so i wasnt too far out.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Just finished watching this, delayed in WA on SBS 2

Good ride by Durbridge, straight into the breakaway. Would have been a good learning curve for him and god to see him battle it out.

It ended as a 2v2 with Sky v HTC. Despire still having 3 cyclists up there at the time, Sky still didn't seem to realise Hendo crashed so easy win for Goss showing good form.

Its the first race...and a psuedo 'crit' so I really don't care or will postulate about where and why the "favourites" finished. It doeant even count towards the TDU anyway.

Still, Gossy must be outright favourite niw.

Oh and surprised how many spectators already have Leopard (Leh-pard ;) ) kei/jersey.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
cut them off, and send them to StrongArm c/o Liggett and Sherwen

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I felt the finish was ruined a bit by the crash in the last corner. The two Sky lead out guys looked lost with no one to lead out and it was an easy win for Goss coming off the wheel of Renshaw. No sprinter showdown at all.

Not yet anyway. Sure we'll see plenty sprinter action in the days to come.

And Goss must be right up there with Greipel as favorite for the overall now, with the form he's been showing so far in January.

theyoungest said:
Yes, I think it is ;) The results have already been corrected, I believe.

You can watch the final lap here. Does Danish tv actually broadcast this? Who knew.

Thanks for that..................I think.;)

Gawd. McEwen 3rd without bothering to get out of the saddle.
Sky continue where they left off in 2010.

Still, there's light at the end of the tunnel.
Not long to some decent racing in February.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm already hating the new kits. Couldn't tell Sky from Garmin or Movistar (could just be the feed on this one.)

Going to be very confusing in sprints... Until Garmin brings back the Argyle in their "summer" kit.

Rocksteady said:
I'm already hating the new kits. Couldn't tell Sky from Garmin or Movistar (could just be the feed on this one.)

Going to be very confusing in sprints... Until Garmin brings back the Argyle in their "summer" kit.
Were Garmin even there? I didn't see them. BTW, Roulston's champion's jersey only adds to the confusion... an HTC rider in all black.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Papparrazzi said:
I thought it was ok.

No pictures is frustrating though thanks to the geo restriction, Geo restricters are ****s BTW.

Patrick Jonker seemed to know what he was talking about and to be fair to them they were reasonable commentators.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
wait what ? sunshine (let alone sunset) in an australian summer? asif...

goss wins.

Either you are Biff from 'Back to the Future' and came back in time with your Sports Almanac or you have one heckuva crystal ball... Good Call

I haven't seen all the posts yet on the race results, but from some of the photos it looks like it might have had a slight uphill finish, even though the profile is deadpan flat, or is that uphill look an illusion?

sublimit said:
No pictures is frustrating though thanks to the geo restriction, Geo restricters are ****s BTW.

on3m@n@rmy said:
[/B]

I haven't seen all the posts yet on the race results, but from some of the photos it looks like it might have had a slight uphill finish,

For those who havent seen the race.

I just got home, and before i even went on the forum i typed "cancer council classic 2011" into youtube.

Got this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q_vnkNMQCc

Rocksteady said:

It's funny you posted this, because when I read it I didn't recall seeing anyone from Garmin or Movistar so I watched it again and well... some of the Sky riders I noticed were actually Garmin riders, but now that I payed attention it's really not that hard to to see the differences, but Sky and Garmin sure do look like eachother.
I missed Movistar because they really didn't have anyone at the front, but now that I payed attention it's not hard to see them.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Wow. That's one of the most disgusting profiles I've ever seen. Good job I'll be asleep.

LOL!! You crack me up because I feel the same way! I'm happiest when the finish is at the top of a climb of some sort, preferrably a minimum of 2-3km.:D

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Look for the helmet on Movistar. I agree that Sky/Garmin/Leopard will take some getting used to. That big white section on the Leopard jersey kind of disappears in the riding position.

TRENDING THREADS