• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Suppose Andy Schleck doesnt ride the Tour in 2011. Who wins?

If neither Al nor Andy ride the 2011 Tour de France, who will win it?

• Other ( Vino, Sastre, Eze, Scarponi, Di Luca, Movistar etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The reason i am doing it is because Andy Schleck will easily win all TDF polls.

So suppose next year, (as is expected) Contador doesnt ride the tour and that (God willing;)) Andy Schleck doesn’t ride it either, and all of the above prepare for it (ie don’t ride il giro) who would win.

I suppose its more exciting than "who will come second".

I myself am adamant that Samuel Sanchez showed last year he was the best climber of the rest. He is arguably the best descender in the world and a good tter, better than pretty much everyone here, barring Menchov who doesn’t have enough tt kms.

In 2011, i cant see anyone beating him.

For me
1 Samu
2 Basso
3 Menchov
4 Evans
5 Ricco

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Ow what a stupid mistake.

Hopefuly a mod will change it.

Did it, also found out something new, I can chance the votes for each rider :p The Dutch will now win each poll.:cool:

But I'm voting for Basso, especially if he chooses to peak for the tour and not do the Giro

theyoungest said:
Menchov. If he doesn't have the Giro in his legs, that is.

He didnt have the Giro in his legs this year but was outclimbed by Samu, and pretty much level with Bobby who according to you lot was not even on top form.

He made up for being weaker in the mountains in a long flat tt (not as favourable to him next year) and through the luck of having his opponent eliminated by a crash.

Add to the fact that there are other climbers - Basso, perhaps Ricco, Schleck coming in and that there are more mtfs for the better climbers to take time out of Menchov.

The Hitch said:
He didnt have the Giro in his legs this year but was outclimbed by Samu, and pretty much level with Bobby who according to you lot was not even on top form.

He made up for being weaker in the mountains in a long flat tt (not as favourable to him next year) and through the luck of having his opponent eliminated by a crash.

Add to the fact that there are other climbers - Basso, perhaps Ricco, Schleck coming in and that there are more mtfs for the better climbers to take time out of Menchov.
True, but he had a far from ideal preparation... just a month before, he got dropped from the peloton in the Tour of Belgium. It was a miracle he even reached this kind of form. So I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Actually I think none of these guys really stands out as the strongest climber, so I chose the one with the best TT skills.

hfer07 said:
I'd love to see that happening-so the riders are equal in possibilities.
for the poll-I'd go with a duel between the Squalo & the Silent Killer

The best bit is non of these riders have won a Tour and only 3 of them have won a gt. So we would be guaranteed a new Tour winner and possibly a new GT winner.

The fact that none of them have won the TOur would perhaps make them all that much more likely to take risks seeing as for most of them its their last chance at the big time.

I know Andy Schleck also hasnt won a GT but 1 he would be expected to run away with this TOur, while the others are equal and 2 he is expected to win many a gt.

S&#248 said:
Rasmussen ;)

He was next on the "others" list but there wasnt much more space

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
were you born in Lvov? if so, i cant recognise you as Ukranian.;)

I was born and live there. But things that you can (or can't) recognise have nothing to do with cycling and I don't want to discuss this on cycling forum :)

Based on the course I would say:

1. Samuel Sanchez (if Euskatel doesn't have a disaster TTT)
2. Basso (if he skips the Giro)
3. Gesink

Neebs would be up there too, but since all indications are that he will try to win the Giro next year I think we can (unfortunately) count him out of the Tour.

EDIT: Menchov is "the Pope" now Hitch? :p I like it! Where did you get it from?

Moondance said:
EDIT: Menchov is "the Pope" now Hitch? :p I like it! Where did you get it from?
On the Champs Elysee stage Eurosport decided to make it a bit more fun by asking viewers to write in giving riders boxing nicknames.

Some unknwon genius wrote in saying -Denis "The Pope" Menchov, because hes always kissing the ground.

A few on this forum have called him that since, and i personally prefer it to "The Silent Assasin" because i feel a nickname shouldnt have more sylables than the actual name ("Bobby the Condor" aside)

Oh and dont worry about Nibali doing Il Giro. As i said in the OP, its hypothetical so pretend they all just focus on the TOur

TRENDING THREADS