• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sylvain Chavanel - Super Domestique?

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
He certainly didn't come into the race as Boonen's b1tch, that was just how the race went in the end. If the race had played out differently he was a card to play. Like when he briefly got away with Terpstra and two others, very reminiscent of RVV 2009 with Devolder.

spalco said:
Well, I suppose he will have to attack fairly early next week with a decent group to get a chance. If he's still riding next to Boonen 10k from the finish, a victory would obviously be very unlikely.

Like when he sprinted for the win in RVV 2011?

His chances are always going to be limited when he's on the same team as an in-form Boonen.

There are really only two circumstances where he could realistically be given the opportunity to ride for himself: Boonen picking up an injury, or a situation where he covers an attack for Boonen and that attack goes to the end. And the chances of the latter happening are limited by his own abilities - other teams are going to be pretty reluctant to let him get too far up the road.

You can't really make much of a case for him being allowed much in the way of his own opportunities when the team are winning race after race with him working for Boonen. On the other hand, if Boonen gets injured in training, Chavanel will find himself as the main leader of the strongest Classics team.

On balance, unless OPQS are paying him way over the odds, he'd probably be better off elsewhere. He'd be the main cobbled Classics leader of any team other than OPQS, RSNT or BMC.

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
In the next races Boonen will be new Cancellara in the sense that as a favourite other teams and riders will watch him and will be sitting on his wheel.
Maybe there is Chavanel's chance.

CvPp8J7WAAAIAh2.jpg

Well I guess this is his thread? Just to say, Sylvain won a gold medal in the team pursuit at the European Track Championships today.

Now Sylvain gets a team pursuit silver medal at the track World Cup. The Brits cunningly averted accusations of an Olympic-only super-peak by only needing a weak team (including a track sprinter) to beat the French. The Canadians got bronze, beating the Swiss dominantly. I notice Sylvain has also started an Instagram account in the last 24 hours. What next? A motorbike? Dying his hair?

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
did he have any track background before? I can't find any record in wiki. And he is already 37 now. That's a unbelievable transformation.

I remember a while ago he said he was hoping to split road and track to try and beat Francis Moreau's 4:16 National record in the IP and also Wiggins hour record in 2016. I think because France didn't qualify a team for the team pursuit at the Olympics, he's delayed his 2016 plans for 2017, so expect him to split between road and track like Wiggins and Cavendish did last year or two I guess.

TRENDING THREADS