• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sylvain Chavanel

Trainning at altitude:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chavanel-hopes-altitude-work-pays-off-at-tour-de-france

Why you didn't do this before? I guess pro-athletes at this level should know better what are the best options for trainning. I guess not.:confused:

Are you preparing to do something special at the Tour?

Hey, Chavannel is one of my favorite riders but I don't like it when I hear these kind of explanations. I hope I am wrong, so that's why I opened this thread in the forum, so I can hear sound explanations of why he didn't do this before. I put it on the clinic because I want an opened discussion about everything.

Thanks.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Even the new entries to cycling know he'd be better off sleeping at altitude and training at low level. This explanation always sounded a little lame after 1984...

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
Trainning at altitude:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chavanel-hopes-altitude-work-pays-off-at-tour-de-france

Why you didn't do this before? I guess pro-athletes at this level should know better what are the best options for trainning. I guess not.:confused:

Umm.....did I miss something? Seriously, is there another article that I missed? Where did he say he never did altitude training before, and why are people thinking he's planning on doing anything different in the Tour than he's done over last year? Just because he's 'targeting' the Tour, doesn't mean he's going for the overall. A yellow jersey, a stage win or two and his entire season is a success.

If he lands on the podium in Paris I'll be the first to start asking questions, but the whole premise seems a bit off to me.

As far as altitude, he very well may not have figured out the best option for incorporating altitude into his training, because it's not an easy thing to do. The research is certainly equivocal, and my own first hand experience is that response to altitude is variable, even just in my own training from year to year. So, it's certainly not an easy thing to understand. I know the credo of 'train low live high', but different athletes have difference responses to it, and the same athlete can have different responses to it.

So, I guess I just don't understand your question.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
It just seems like the same story we have heard before from guys who are preparing to take some sort of "next step".
Otherwise it's not really news, is it?

I certainly get that, but I don't really see where he's talking about 'taking the next step'. I wasn't trying to be obtuse, I was asking a serious question. Did he make some big proclamation about going for the overall in the Tour? Maybe he did, but it certainly wasn't in the linked article?

I'm sure he 'targeted the Tour' last year, and with great success. I imagine he'd consider equaling last year's Tour a success.

131313 said:
Umm.....did I miss something? Seriously, is there another article that I missed? Where did he say he never did altitude training before, and why are people thinking he's planning on doing anything different in the Tour than he's done over last year? Just because he's 'targeting' the Tour, doesn't mean he's going for the overall. A yellow jersey, a stage win or two and his entire season is a success.

If he lands on the podium in Paris I'll be the first to start asking questions, but the whole premise seems a bit off to me.

As far as altitude, he very well may not have figured out the best option for incorporating altitude into his training, because it's not an easy thing to do. The research is certainly equivocal, and my own first hand experience is that response to altitude is variable, even just in my own training from year to year. So, it's certainly not an easy thing to understand. I know the credo of 'train low live high', but different athletes have difference responses to it, and the same athlete can have different responses to it.

So, I guess I just don't understand your question.

In the article he said that he hopes that the altitude training pays off meaning that he is doing something different otherwise it would not be news. Otherwise he could have said that "I hope that the altitude training pays out this time". The other subliminal message that I take is that maybe he has not been satisfied with previous performances otherwise why change the training.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
In the article he said that he hopes that the altitude training pays off meaning that he is doing something different otherwise it would not be news. Otherwise he could have said that "I hope that the altitude training pays out this time". The other subliminal message that I take is that maybe he has not been satisfied with previous performances otherwise why change the training.

OK, got it. That wasn't my take on his comments at all. I guessed based on this quote “It will do me good, and help me find the rhythm of competition,” Chavanel said. “I’ve given myself the means to do a great Tour as was the case last year. I will be expected [to do well – ed]. I’ve made sacrifices for that.”, I assumed he was pretty pleased. 2 stage wins and a couple of yellow jerseys? Unless you finish on the podium, you just aren't going to do better than that. My take on the article is that he's hoping to equal last year's performance. And no, I really don't consider it "news", but reporters have to write something in anticipation of the race.

131313 said:
OK, got it. That wasn't my take on his comments at all. I guessed based on this quote “It will do me good, and help me find the rhythm of competition,” Chavanel said. “I’ve given myself the means to do a great Tour as was the case last year. I will be expected [to do well – ed]. I’ve made sacrifices for that.”, I assumed he was pretty pleased. 2 stage wins and a couple of yellow jerseys? Unless you finish on the podium, you just aren't going to do better than that. My take on the article is that he's hoping to equal last year's performance. And no, I really don't consider it "news", but reporters have to write something in anticipation of the race.

And that might well be all there is to it, but then why bring it up if you are doing the same as the year before and expecting similar results?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
And that might well be all there is to it, but then why bring it up if you are doing the same as the year before and expecting similar results?

To fill page space? I mean, if the guy held a press conference to announce he's training at altitude this year, that's one thing.... I took this as one of those very banal 'story pieces' to break up the latest doping news and try to build anticipation for the Tour. CN (and others) do this junk all the time. A reporter e-mails him, asks him for a sound bite, he obliges...

I totally understand guys using the 'altitude thing' as a smokescreen, but honestly I think folks are reading things into this which just aren't there.

As I said, if he ends up on the podium in Paris, I'll certainly join in asking questions.

131313 said:
Fair enough.:)

I hope that you are right. Thanks for the feedback.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Let's not forget that "altitude training" makes for a good doping excuse because many riders actually do choose to train at altitude for legitimate reasons.

If Chavanel were saying 'I can't wait to see the results of my altitude training on Tenerife' or 'I'm sure my hematocrit was only sky-high because of my altitude training camp' then it would be a different story.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
this_is_edie said:
This is simply a translation/interpretation by cyclingnews. The original interview in theFrench paper Nord Littoral does not say one way or another if this was his first time training at altitude.

Lol at this. There's a little lesson here for those of our American friends who have been trying to construe the CN report - while it might come as a surprise, inhabitants of other countries often prefer to speak in their own language rather than yours :)

laziali said:
Lol at this. There's a little lesson here for those of our American friends who have been trying to construe the CN report - while it might come as a surprise, inhabitants of other countries often prefer to speak in their own language rather than yours :)

lol at that soooo true

its pathetic how they expect every1 to know/speak/want to speak English yet laugh at the thought of knowing another language themselves (big generalization here)

i find it funny when i see people comment on the fact that contador prefers to speak in spanish and not in english. how dare he to speak his own native language :p

any1 saw mourinhos speach when he won the award for best manager of the year? it was this but in portuguese ofc "sorry but i am very proud of being portuguese so i will speak in my own native language (rest of the speach in portuguese)"

ya i know very off topic :eek: but topic wasn't that good anyway :p

Parrulo said:
lol at that soooo true

its pathetic how they expect every1 to know/speak/want to speak English yet laugh at the thought of knowing another language themselves (big generalization here)

i find it funny when i see people comment on the fact that contador prefers to speak in spanish and not in english. how dare he to speak his own native language :p

any1 saw mourinhos speach when he won the award for best manager of the year? it was this but in portuguese ofc "sorry but i am very proud of being portuguese so i will speak in my own native language (rest of the speach in portuguese)"

ya i know very off topic :eek: but topic wasn't that good anyway :p

Lol, I would prefer Mourinho to speak in Portugese, then I wouldnt understand whatever garbage he is spouting.