• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sylvia Schenk says 500,000 $

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
If I gave the UCI $500,000 I would be very upset if they busted me for anyting!! lol.. this is just completely insane, how on earth does Lance have so many supporters???

tubularglue said:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2005...t-blasts-ucis-handling-of-armstrong-case_8889

what is the figure, why would sylvia admit to 500,000 compared to Pats 100,000

http://www.google.com/search?q=sylv...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

that is 5 times the ammount reported today

"to my knoweldge 500,000 dollars"

This is one of the mysteries - Armstrong has said elsewhere that he never got a receipt for it either.

Do we actually know when the money was given and how much was given? It seems that the stories change by the day. McQuaid is scrambling to save his bacon.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
This is one of the mysteries - Armstrong has said elsewhere that he never got a receipt for it either.

Do we actually know when the money was given and how much was given? It seems that the stories change by the day. McQuaid is scrambling to save his bacon.

It would seem that the transfer of monies in that amount would not be hard to identify in a thorough forensic accounting audit.

It would also seem that in such a forensic accounting audit could identify just how Mr. Armstrong "claimed" such an amount, either as a tax deduction ("UCI is non-profit", says Patty) or as a business "expense".

Surely, this will be targeted for review by an authority with a background in the United States Treasury - IRS. Oh, wait, that is the background of the FDA investigator! Such is luck.

Or, perhaps Mr. Armstrong has some monies sheltered elsewhere, perhaps in a place where it can be hidden, like, say, Switzerland?

It's like something out of the Untouchables, what with bank accounts and coded training diaries.

But more seriously, somewhere else it says that there was more than one payment. So we don't know:

i) how many payments were made

ii) when these payments were made

iii) how much these payments were made

We have conflicting amounts being given by Armstrong, the UCI, Schenk and Stapleton as well as conflicting dates.

A

Anonymous

probably hidden somewhere in a donation from livestrong to a swiss cancer clinic.. ;)

makes me wonder. would livestrong be able to buy "medical equipment" without raising too many eyebrows?

It's been announced on this forum that Fat Pat McQuaid said that maybe it wasn't such a good idea to take Armstrong's money.

McQuaid acknowledges accepting Armstrong donation a mistake

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid-acknowledges-accepting-armstrong-donation-a-mistake

Mistake, eh? You think, Pat? Hindsight being 20/20 and all?

This revelation would not have been admitted to if not for the Landis allegations. So that's one good thing that has come out of this.

What's next? We'll see...

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
the quick exit of Slyvia:

400,000 dollar difference than stated. Someone should ask what "knowledge" she has of this discrepancy.

Her new position/company seems very odd ?

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
how the UCI is run

http://www.uci.ch/templates/UCI/UCI1/layout.asp?MenuId=MTk0Nw

Who is on the Supreme Controlling Body?
Who is on the Decision making body?

curious, anyone have a list?

How is the UCI organised?

Its main organs are:

The Congress (supreme controlling body). It brings together each year representatives of recognised National Federations. It elects the Management Committee, to which it delegates responsibility for management of the UCI and which it may overrule if necessary.

The Management Committee (decision-making body). Composed of 15 members, it meets three times a year. It assumes the comprehensive rights and responsibilities that allow it to undertake, without delay, any action imposed by events. It acts flexibly and quickly.

The Administrative Service (operational body). It is composed of professionals and former elite sportsmen and women, supported by experts who sit on committees. It is responsible for all operational tasks arising from the decisions of the Management Committee.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
So what! If someone has proof of payoff by Lance or whomever go to the authorities!
People be carefull. You might not be right and get sued!

A

Anonymous

flicker said:
So what! If someone has proof of payoff by Lance or whomever go to the authorities!
People be carefull. You might not be right and get sued!

The Uniballer won't sue anyone. He hasn't got the ball to do it. Plus, you have to prove that the person making the accusation did so with full knowledge that the statement was false. None of us fit that bill. We all believe it is true. Case closed.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
i really hope the $100-$500k 'donation' has a very clear paper trail so that the IRS don't get upset. no accounting records could become a problem and we wouldnt want anyone being charged with money laundering or similar. i am sure this 'donation' and the 'reminder' from the UCI is all above board though.

barn yard said:
i really hope the $100-$500k 'donation' has a very clear paper trail so that the IRS don't get upset. no accounting records could become a problem and we wouldnt want anyone being charged with money laundering or similar. i am sure this 'donation' and the 'reminder' from the UCI is all above board though.

I know America likes to think it rules the world but I don't think the IRS has much business in Switzerland.

Also the UCI is in Switzerland for a reason. Banking records are private.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
I know America likes to think it rules the world but I don't think the IRS has much business in Switzerland.

when you make a donation, correct me if i am wrong, which i may be, but i believe in the US it creates a tax deduction for the person making the donation, which i assume came from the US also

so if you claimed the tax deduction on a $500k 'donation' which turns out to not be a donation, you might have some questions to answer

ps i have never heard of a reminder letter for a donation

i am not proclaiming to be an expert but its the 1st thing that came to mind about this whole 'he donated $20,000 no, $100,000, no $500,000, oh we sent him a bill' situation

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Very disappointed with Schenk's release in the media about transparency. Seems her ties to the UCI are still overriding her integrity in her new role. In an ideal world she would have come out with the $500K amount and buried Fat McQuack in sh*t.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
The Uniballer won't sue anyone. He hasn't got the ball to do it. Plus, you have to prove that the person making the accusation did so with full knowledge that the statement was false. None of us fit that bill. We all believe it is true. Case closed.

Iknow the u baller is a dummy, he doesn't know how to manuever in the world or peloton.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Bribes

Everyone seems so sure that a bribe would leave a paper trail. Me, I don't think so. Sure, Armstrong may have given the UCI some cash - $100k, $500k, who knows - what's a few hundred grand between friends? But if this gift was known outside of the immediate circle and documented in any way, it would have been for the sole purpose of illustrating his influence and reach.

Any real bribes he paid were probably made on a continuing and cash-only basis, with no documentation whatsoever. You'd be a fool to do it any other way and Armstrong is no fool. Also, in my view Armstrong has huge influence in and maybe even some measure of control of the UCI. You don't get that for $500k.

thehog said:

Not quite as private as they used to be. The Swiss banks that do business in the U.S. have run into quite a bit of trouble recently.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
swiss bank accounts are covered by strict privacy laws. however information can be shared with the US if criminal activities are being investigated that break laws in both the US and Switzerland (has to be breaking laws in both countries to qualify)

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
if a US citizen is being investigated for criminal activities, the feds will not care where the bank account is held

there are no more 'secret' bank accounts in 2010

TRENDING THREADS