• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 123 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I ran the stats for the podiums of the 5 Monuments from 2004-2021.

The top 5 names are (# of 1/2/3 podium finishes):
  1. Cancellara (7/6/3)
  2. Boonen (7/3/1)
  3. Gilbert (5/0/6)
  4. Valverde (4/5/1)
  5. Nibali (3/2/1)

If victories in other notable spring classics (Amstel, Strade Bianche, Gent-Wev, Flèche W, E3, Omloop HN, DBP, DDV) are added the following names would be added:

1. Peter Sagan (7/3/0)
  2. Julian Alaphilippe (6/4/1)
  3. Wout Van Aert (6/1/1)
  4. Niki Terpstra (5/1/3)
  5. Mathieu van der Poel (5/1/3)
  6. Nibali down to #10

Pogacar has some way still to go but is clearly on an extraordinary path to overall fame. Evenepoel has yet to make the lists. Valverde is just spectacular.

The three big in spring classics in “modern” cycling are still Cancellara, Boonen and Gilbert. The benchmark for all others to beat.

Sagan not winning MSR looks less like a mystery now I look at his results again there.

He was seen as the big favorite cause he could win both as a puncheur and as a sprinter, but I think his sprinting in Sanremo has been really bad. 2012 is literally the only time he won the main sprint. Every biggwr sprint after hes been thorougly taken to the cleaners and even badly underperformed in small group sprints

Sagan not winning MSR looks less like a mystery now I look at his results again there.

He was seen as the big favorite cause he could win both as a puncheur and as a sprinter, but I think his sprinting in Sanremo has been really bad. 2012 is literally the only time he won the main sprint. Every biggwr sprint after hes been thorougly taken to the cleaners and even badly underperformed in small group sprints
Gaviria took him out the only good year where he was in a peloton sprint for the win. So I wouldn’t only blame his sprint in 2017, 2016, 2013, 2012 & 2018. That was his window.

ain’t that the truth looking back at it again but it’s hard to say when 200 meters starts and I think it’s at 4:23 in the video.

At 4:18 is the overhead.
View: https://youtu.be/ZNne994CO7Q

Are you kidding? At 4:23 there are probably 15 metres to the line...

Another forgotten thing about that stage was that they rode at a pace of less than 36 km/h for almost 240 kilometres, so the stage ended an hour later than Tour stages normally do.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I feel like hottakes right now so here we go.

Then of course there is Pogacar, the other young and upcoming star. He's not gonna be the next big thing either and I'd bet quite a bit that the hype surrounding him will largely disappear after this tour. He will without a doubt become a great rider, he might very well win a gt one day, but I get serious Enric Mas vibes by him who basically did the exact same thing as him at the Vuelta, just a year earlier and nobody is hyping him now. Of course Pogacar was even younger but still. There is something about him that makes me think he just peaked very early and got lucky with a super weak Vuelta field.
Ages better and better. :D
Sorry Gigs.

Epic performance by Tadej. He went deep today as it was a long solo effort. He may pay for it during the TT on Monday but no worries - stage 6 is still one week away ;)
Tbf, one of Pogacar's biggest strengths is his recovery. He just seems to recover very well. I remember when he went on that 30+ km solo raid at the Tour and then he attacked and gained time again the very next day. I won't be shocked if he finishes in the top 3 in the TT tomorrow.

Reactions: Sandisfan