• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 503 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
How is he better than Indurain? He is slower than Indurain was uphill, downhill and on the flat.
I never watched Indurain and don't think I have an educated opinion on who of the two was better, but just so someone says it, is Pogacar not a lot more explosive? I think Indurain mostly won TTs and GCs, while Pogacar's explosiveness allows him to win lots of one day races and road stages.

We've had this kind of stuff before, ppl claiming Froome was better than Indurain.
Indurain is much better than Froome and Pog. Pog might adjust the scales but Froome won't. If someone is too young to have seen Indurain race, then there is a thing called wikipedia.
P.S. I think this thread is reaching breaking point.
I've seen Indurain race. And I agree that he was much better than Froome.

We've had this kind of stuff before, ppl claiming Froome was better than Indurain.
Indurain is much better than Froome and Pog. Pog might adjust the scales but Froome won't. If someone is too young to have seen Indurain race, then there is a thing called wikipedia.
P.S. I think this thread is reaching breaking point.
from wikipedia....

Induráin was a strong time trialist, gaining on rivals and riding defensively in the climbing stages. Induráin won only two Tour stages that were not individual time trials: mountain stages to Cauterets (1989) and Luz Ardiden (1990) in the Pyrenees. During his five consecutive Tour de France wins he never won a stage that was not a time trial. These superior abilities in the discipline fit perfectly with the TT heavy Tours of the era, with many featuring between 150 and 200 km of time trialling vs the more common 50–80 km today.

from wikipedia....
Sorry I might be betraying my age but I agree with topcat as I watched Indurain’s feats between 1991 and 1996. Wiki isn’t wrong but it didn’t say Indurain wasn’t a superb climber. Indurain didn’t destroy MTFs because with his TT and the TT heavy courses of that era he didn’t have to. He was still an incredible climber - even if that was for reasons we can’t discuss here.

For an example check out the carnage on stage 8 of the 1993 TdF to Serre Chevalier. Only Tony Rominger and Colombian climber Alvaro Mejía hung onto Big Mig over the Galibier that day. Renowned climbers came in many minutes later eg Gianni Bugno and Claudio Chiappucci.

Another was the 1994 stage to Hautacam when he sat on the front of the peloton and rode every GC contender off his wheel except Luc Leblanc. Froome never did anything like that.

• Wow
Reactions: Brullnux and topcat
Sorry I might be betraying my age but I agree with topcat as I watched Indurain’s feats between 1991 and 1996. Wiki isn’t wrong but it didn’t say Indurain wasn’t a superb climber. Indurain didn’t destroy MTFs because with his TT and the TT heavy courses of that era he didn’t have to. He was still an incredible climber - even if that was for reasons we can’t discuss here.

For an example check out the carnage on stage 8 of the 1993 TdF to Serre Chevalier. Only Tony Rominger and Colombian climber Alvaro Mejía hung onto Big Mig over the Galibier that day. Renowned climbers came in many minutes later eg Gianni Bugno and Claudio Chiappucci.

Another was the 1994 stage to Hautacam when he sat on the front of the peloton and rode every GC contender off his wheel except Luc Leblanc. Froome never did anything like that.
And Richard Virenque had a big breakthrough, went on to win on the next day to Luz Ardien with 4 minutes and riding himself up to 2nd place on GC. Would later finish 5th overall this Tour and won the first of his KOM victories.

Pogacar i think is beyond a doubt the best cyclist of our history - again evolution im not trying to disrespect any legends, but put em in a race vs pogacar today without doping or any other thing the answer is kinda self-explanatory.

Merckx stil the greatest of all time. Theres a difference betwen best and greatest.

This is just common knowledge outside forums were you will meet biased fans.

Go outside of a forum and this is just common knowledge at this point and i can definitely comfirm that withing pro cycling this is general knowledge aswell, every rider ive trained and ridden with says the same. You can pretty much ask any rider of the pro peleton today and they will all say it. Its just general knowledge.

But forum people also need their fun in life so let em it doesnt matter.

Reactions: Salvarani
I just came by to drop again for those who remember,. 3 weeks ago after my training ride with MVDP and we talked i came on here to say he would win flander by 50km attack and by a huge margin check my post 3-4 weeks ago if you want..

Anyway for those interested i can again say something else after talking to him again. Attack 100-80km to finish in robauix and if he dont crash noone will contest. He is in his Wc form. Do with that as you want. Have fun kids.

Reactions: Poursuivant

Frankly, it's like comparing two entirely different sports. You can make the solid argument both eras of cycling are so different due to circumstances that at least Indurain's can't be discussed thoroughly in this forum and quite possibly the current one can't be discussed in this forum.

But I will say, Pogi would do really well in any era. I don't think Indurain would do as well in the current era.

Frankly, it's like comparing two entirely different sports. You can make the solid argument both eras of cycling are so different due to circumstances that at least Indurain's can't be discussed thoroughly in this forum and quite possibly the current one can't be discussed in this forum.

But I will say, Pogi would do really well in any era. I don't think Indurain would do as well in the current era.
I generally agree. I only responded as it is common that Indurain’s climbing to be underrated, then and now.

Back at that time many times rival managers said it was impossible a rider his size climb so well yet he continually made them look silly.

I also agree Pogi would do better in any era. But do yourself a favour, when you get time watch Indurain in those stages I mentioned. There are others but those two I picked and prove he was an elite climber.

Reactions: scribers
I generally agree. I only responded as it is common that Indurain’s climbing to be underrated, then and now.

Back at that time many times rival managers said it was impossible a rider his size climb so well yet he continually made them look silly.

I also agree Pogi would do better in any era. But do yourself a favour, when you get time watch Indurain in those stages I mentioned. There are others but those two I picked and prove he was an elite climber.
That era is so silly I can't really watch it and make sense out of it. I don't mean to diminish your point of view on indurain and I apologize. Indurain is certainly amongst the greats in cycling.

Reactions: Cookster15
Indurain was highly benefited by Tour's route in the 90's. First week was a walk in the park, with 2 TT and a lot of flat stages. We only had 2 or 3 hard mountain stages in the race. In today's era, Indurain would not win 5 Tours and 2 Giros. If we want to talk about the perfect GT rider, we have to look to Armstrong. Not Indurain, not Froome (at all).

Reactions: Vudy and bNator