• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 98 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He's in good shape already. He's been challenging pretty fast guys in the past with good results. I think he's fast finisher more than for example Evenepoel. So in EC he probably was more playing for better group to form than what Evenepoel choose to take.

Obviously Pog's a fast finisher. He would have certainly followed Remco if he had been able to. A medal would have been all but guaranteed, decent chance for gold as well. But he couldn't.

Reactions: johnymax
He's in good shape already. He's been challenging pretty fast guys in the past with good results. I think he's fast finisher more than for example Evenepoel. So in EC he probably was more playing for better group to form than what Evenepoel choose to take.
What a controversial statement!

He wasn't playing, he just wasn't able to follow. And otherwise he was extremely dumb, which I doubt.

Reactions: southwards
I personally don't see the best finish at the TT even though he claims that's the goal. Still to 10 and better than euros. I just don't think he's had the training/focus he usually has for those when he's specialized in the past. I mean most of last week, the week between Euros and World's he is back at Urskas moms house in slovenia celebrating the engagement... all his interviews have been virtual from there. Absolutely nothing wrong with that...
But in comparison to tour TTs he's done, a lit more seems to go into it... something Van Aert and Tratnik for example have been in Belgium riding Daily according to strava. By that Pogi would have just gotten to Belgium today, the day before TTs to even see the course. I mean maybe that means nothing.
I DO think he will be in great form for the road race. Slovenian team is very strong, and even if he doesn't come out in front especially as the top Slovenian, which he seems to do like in olympics and euros, he'll definitely be backing Roglic or Mohoric. That said I think Roglic isn't gonna be in top form post Vuelta break and without JV backing. But who knows. One reason I love watching tadej him is because you can be surprised either way.
Personally I also think he's achieved his goals and beyond for the season. 2nd tour win, a big contract and raise, and Urska... with his birthday following the TT. He's winning even if he's not winning. But he definitely won't suck.

I personally don't see the best finish at the TT even though he claims that's the goal. Still to 10 and better than euros. I just don't think he's had the training/focus he usually has for those when he's specialized in the past. I mean most of last week, the week between Euros and World's he is back at Urskas moms house in slovenia celebrating the engagement... all his interviews have been virtual from there. Absolutely nothing wrong with that...
But in comparison to tour TTs he's done, a lit more seems to go into it... something Van Aert and Tratnik for example have been in Belgium riding Daily according to strava. By that Pogi would have just gotten to Belgium today, the day before TTs to even see the course. I mean maybe that means nothing.
I DO think he will be in great form for the road race. Slovenian team is very strong, and even if he doesn't come out in front especially as the top Slovenian, which he seems to do like in olympics and euros, he'll definitely be backing Roglic or Mohoric. That said I think Roglic isn't gonna be in top form post Vuelta break and without JV backing. But who knows. One reason I love watching tadej him is because you can be surprised either way.
Personally I also think he's achieved his goals and beyond for the season. 2nd tour win, a big contract and raise, and Urska... with his birthday following the TT. He's winning even if he's not winning. But he definitely won't suck.
Tratnik was in Slovenia yesterday too.

I dont really expect him to do a tol 10 tomorrow but with Tadej I guess you never know :p

Glad he got engaged to Urška! They are so good for each other and after 3 years and living together I dont think they are too young.

I am pretty sure her mums illness might indeed have sped things up a bit! I saw he once sent Urska flowers too to cheer her up…

Wonder when they will actually marry and if that will change his racing schedule next year?:cool:

Any takes on the WC ITT? I don't think Pogacar is a dark horse or something, I actually think finishing within 2 minutes to the winner would be a really good result

Not a dark horse, he's the favourite for gold. Somebody should just tell him to take part in U-23 ITT, it will be last day possible for him. LBL winner, TdF winner and world champion in one year - it's amazing!

Last edited:
I am pretty sure her mums illness might indeed have sped things up a bit! I saw he once sent Urska flowers too to cheer her up…

Wonder when they will actually marry and if that will change his racing schedule next year?:cool:
[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure but what I've gathered is her mom has a blood cancer that requires bone marrow transfusion as a last resort. They don't have the machine in Slovenia so she was being treated out of the country and it's super expensive, like 300-600K euros. Sure tadej has been helping out. It was in an interview she gave in july because her mom and her always cheer with a big Slovenian group when they can and she was bummed her mom couldn't be there. She didn't mention. What the illness was there but saw it somewhere else and tadej was fundraising for it a year ago.
Anyway I think maybe they already got married at least a small get together from him being there and the photos/all white matching. Certainly would be a great booster for her mom and make sense why he'd be rushing to urskas town between the races.
If they get married in a bigger ceremony I would bet it would be in the winter since they are both professional cyclists with busy schedules. But whatever it is I'm sure it would be low key since they are both covid savy (testing positive could kill a race or tour pretty fast). Also they don't seem like huge party people either. I really hope the mom isn't the reason, but I don't think either him or urska would have chosen this specific time to be jumping into it especially in slovenia if it didn't have something to do with it.
After losing my own mother to cancer at her exact age as my career was just taking off, im so glad she will have someone like tadej there for her.
All of this is a little off but in a way it put a lot of my questions on why tadej didn't seem so hardcore lately. There are more important things in life.. mostly life.

Alright so my strava stalking shows he has now done the TT route... so that makes me feel a little better. Urskas still at home so still hoping mom is ok and she has a good race coming up too.

Further update waiting on TT to start... I. Slovenia you get married twice because once has to be at gov office with paperwork in front of official before actual wedding. And apparently party was for andrej hauptmans wife's 40th birthday luau themed, which was also their engagement party. Luka was there. Okay watching TT now so I will stop quasi stalking and can focus back on the axtual racing.

Last edited:
Ok... 10th... top 10. I'm okay with that considering he only rode the course the day before for the first time. Really pumped for the road race.
Really think he could have done better at TT if solidly prepared for that kinda course. He didn't seem overly into it and on a mission like van aert who was laser focused. So yeah top 10 if good for me, but obviously he needs some better prep for these if he is as serious about TT results as he has led on

Reactions: Sandisfan
You mean the U23, right? I'm pretty sure that at 22 he's definitely too old to ride the junior (U19) ITT.

And I just realised/remembered that he's also to old for the U23 race. Riders age out of the youth categories the year they turn the age in question, whether or not they have actually had their birthdays.
That's why he didn't win the BYR in Tour of Slovenia, in what might have been a career first.

• Wow
Reactions: IndurainsTdF1994
E_yn0kcUUAAS7SE

TRENDING THREADS