• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Probably some conflation of the '02 and '03 Vueltas, that's all.

I think Pogačar should be allowed to race with freedom now, make his own decisions - and yes, make his own mistakes. It's refreshing to see somebody following their sensations even if it's ultimately foolhardy, because it's a three week race and that's a new experience for him. So long as he's up there in the GC, let him ride. If he cracks before the rest day, most likely on Sunday, then keep him in for a week to stagehunt and get some experience in the break, or use him to ride for Aru. If he doesn't crack until later, which seems far more likely, give him the choice. If it takes until Becenil, then let him finish the race. If it's at Acebo or the La Cubilla stage, withdraw him on the second rest day.

Reactions: Eddy Evenepoel
Before today's stage

EDSxPkqWkAU8947.jpg:large

Reactions: Sandisfan
Maybe he could lose some weight still, but I think he doesn't seem too heavy. He seems much more "a finished article" than Remco already. Weight, strategy & tactics, experience, mindset, cunning... On the other hand, i guess these are all still areas where Evenepoel can still improve a lot, but he'll have his work cut out for him.

Now I'm actually wodnering how much time he can take on the lesser timetrialists like Quintana or Lopez. He's still a good 1 minute and a half behind them in the GC.
That's interesting. He's a better TTer on paper but TT will come after a hard week and a rest day. Recovery will play a role, and there's still little evidence about his recovery skills. I sure hope he gets closer in GC after his wonderful ride today.

For me, he has more future than bernal. He is good in all terrains. Can't wait to see him in the gir next year.

I find it really hard to predict how much of a future a young rider has. Like there have been many guys who have been really good in their early twenties and you think, god, how good will he with 27. Then those guys remain were they are and don't improve much or even regress. Then you have those guys who aren't even pros at that age but they are steadily improving and are dominating at 29. You can win your first GT at 22 and never win one again and you can win your first with 30 and add a few more till your mid thirties. Road cyclists I would say by now can peak anywhere between 20 and 40 years of age

TRENDING THREADS