• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's hard to predict the progression of a promising young cyclist. But in any case, this was a big stage for Pogacar's first GT win. Already won the Tour of California this year, and now that accomplishment looks small in comparison with where he's at now/today, in the Vuelta--winning the biggest mountain stage and looking to gain time in the TT on some great GC contenders ahead of him. A top 5 placing on GC is a very real possibility. I don't want to jinx it by suggesting the podium--that would really be insane.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Also his girlfriend was waiting for him at the finish. :kissingheart:

EDZqsSNWwAI0rOF.jpg:large

I guess the length of the stage was in his benefit. Circumstances (Lopez & Roglic crashing) were also not against him. But still riding away from Quintana & Soler is no small feat. Now i'm extra curious to see if they'd pull him out. Come to think of it, maybe the stagewin is an extra excuse to pull him out ("already a success").

I guess the length of the stage was in his benefit. Circumstances (Lopez & Roglic crashing) were also not against him. But still riding away from Quintana & Soler is no small feat. Now i'm extra curious to see if they'd pull him out. Come to think of it, maybe the stagewin is an extra excuse to pull him out ("already a success").

You would hope not unless he flags and ships 5+ minutes on a single stage. He might be very young so it’s natural to think that he has over a decade to get big results but you should seize the moment as it may possibly prove to be the best shot ever.

I really hope they don't pull him out.
Sure, it wasn't even planned that he would a Grand Tour this season however after what he is showing it would be a mistake unless he cracks in this second week, because the third week isn't even that hard, the climbs are much more gentle than Mas de la Costa, Los Machucos...
I still think the fifth place is the most likely for him. He might catch Quintana and Lopez in the TT but since he struggled in Mas de la Costa, the same can probably happen in Los Machucos and Puerto de Acebo. It would be the team's best GC result in a Grand Tour this season

Pogi is the real deal. The guy was already outclimbing guys like Pernsteiner and Cattaneo at the age of 18 in the Tour of Slovenia and one year later he was able to hang with Majka on the climbs in the same race.
It's really impressive that a first year neopro is already on this level as a stage racer, it shows you the benefit of riding for a ct team that allows you to compete with top riders in 1 or 2 races per season as an u23 rider.

Reactions: Red Rick

It would be totally crazy to pull him out. This kid can win the general classification, he is absolutely in the mix and also a much better time trialist then Quintana or Lopez. I don't say that he will win it all but he has the possibility and you never know how the next years will go. So try to take this possibility

TRENDING THREADS