• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Before today's stage

EDSxPkqWkAU8947.jpg:large

The interview: https://sporza.be/nl/2019/09/02/wie-is-tadej-pogacar/
He answers 20 or so questions in quick succession.

He likes cold weather and mountains... that explains the last stage, lol.

Great showing today, was hoping he'd still lose a bit less especially after that awesome first split time, but nonetheless an amazing ride from the young man. Now only a minute down on the possible podium.

Pogačar : "It was a hard TT but I felt great so I went as hard as I could. To wear my national TT champions jersey in a Grand Tour was a dream."

EDjwaz7X4AoABXl.jpg:large

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Rick
The explosion of young/new talent this year has been incredible. I was getting a bit tired of Froome/Nibali/Quintana/Valverde over the past few years, but 2019 has really gotten me excited about WT racing again. Can you imagine a 2021 TdF with Carapaz, Bernal, Sivakov, Pogacar, the two CX stars and maybe Remco? Then add in Roglic, Dumoulin, and grandpa Froomey?

For under-23 GT top-10 GC performances in recent years, we have:

Pogacar, 2019 Vuelta, 20 years, 11 months: ??
Bernal, 2019 Tour, 22 years, 6 months: 1st (also 2018 Tour, 21 years, 6 months: 15th)
Sivakov, 2019 Giro, 21 years, 11 months: 9th
Barguil, 2014 Vuelta, 22 years, 11 months: 8th
Pinot, 2012 Tour, 22 years, 2 months: 10th
Gesink, 2008 Vuelta, 22 years, 4 months: 7th
Schleck, 2007 Giro, 21 years, 11 months: 2nd

Am I missing anyone?

Only Bernal's and Schleck's performances would be comparable to a potential podium finish from Pogacar, and in both cases they were at least a year older.

I wonder what will be his schedule next year. Personally I think a Giro+Olympics approach would be great with then probably racing the Worlds in the end of the season

However with the way he is racing I wouldn't be surprised if they send him to the Tour.

A 2016 Nibali schedule wouldn't be the worst option, Giro for the gc and Tour just as a stagehunter as a learning experience (big sprinttrain for Gaviria) to prepare the Olympics. Of couse he is young enough to ride the Tour one year later and go Giro-Vuelta, as long as he doesn't end up like MAL who still hasn't started the Tour even once...