• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Could be a tactical mistake was involved, but if you go against No.1 in the world, you don't always win! Nothing wrong with that. In my opinion it is a privilege, Pogačar can measure himself against the best in such races. I watched closely and Roglič made all this tiny tactical moves and i am sure that Pogačar learned a lot.

Could be a tactical mistake was involved, but if you go against No.1 in the world, you don't always win! Nothing wrong with that. In my opinion it is a privilege, Pogačar can measure himself against the best in such races. I watched closely and Roglič made all this tiny tactical moves and i am sure that Pogačar learned a lot.
If you go against the nr1 in the world, and you give him 200m headstart, your chances won't improve either ;-)

Reactions: Oldermanish
Hard to say, if Pogačar would attack first and would have gained a couple of meters, and Roglič would need to catch him after. There is still a pretty good chance, Roglič would be stronger, when it comes to the final sprint on this race.
I didn't mean he had to attack first per se, but he shouldn't have given him a free pass to get such a big gap and expect others to close it for him.

If Pogačar would realize others can't follow, and would try to close the gap immediately. Could be the outcome would be different. But somehow i still feel that, if in such position and on this race, the final sprint would go to Roglič.
Like i said before, i'm pretty sure Roglic was stronger anyway and was going to win it regardless. That doesn't mean you should hand it to him on a platter.

Some great riding today to beat Roglic in his discipline and taking the nationa ITT title. And just to make it better his girlfriend took the title in the women's category.

5936caf01b_62432552.jpg

In my opinion he is the most talented young rider in the world, between bernal, him, evenepoel, i think he is the most talented rider to win grand tours in the future, because is very good in the mountains and in the itt.
I really don't think Bernal is that far behind in ITT, if at all. Don't forget, Bernal beat Roglic 2 years ago in a similar timetrial. And we'll have to wait for the TDF to see how Pogacar compares to Bernal in the mountains. Imho Evenepoel is head and shoulders above Bernal and Pogacar in terms of ITT, but we'll have to wait for the Giro to see how he behaves in the mountains vs accomplished GC riders and climbers.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I really don't think Bernal is that far behind in ITT, if at all. Don't forget, Bernal beat Roglic 2 years ago in a similar timetrial. And we'll have to wait for the TDF to see how Pogacar compares to Bernal in the mountains. Imho Evenepoel is head and shoulders above Bernal and Pogacar in terms of ITT, but we'll have to wait for the Giro to see how he behaves in the mountains vs accomplished GC riders and climbers.
Yeah, but the TT Bernal beat Roglič was a pure MTT with 23kph average speed. In those even Quintana, who is otherwise a bad time trialist, can compete with the likes of Roglič. In the Slovenian TT there was a climb of 7km at 7% followed by a false flat of 8km at 2-3%. The average speed was above 30kph with the second part with averages over 40kph. Roglič excels on this type of terrain and this 21yo beat him.

I think he can be a better TT rider than Bernal although I agree, Bernal is not bad at all and can defend himself very well.

Yeah, but the TT Bernal beat Roglič was a pure MTT with 23kph average speed. In those even Quintana, who is otherwise a bad time trialist, can compete with the likes of Roglič. In the Slovenian TT there was a climb of 7km at 7% followed by a false flat of 8km at 2-3%. The average speed was above 30kph with the second part with averages over 40kph. Roglič excels on this type of terrain and this 21yo beat him.

I think he can be a better TT rider than Bernal although I agree, Bernal is not bad at all and can defend himself very well.
Well, Bernal was also 21 at that time ofcourse. And i don't think Pogacar won his ITT on the flat part either today :)

In the Slovenian TT there was a climb of 7km at 7% followed by a false flat of 8km at 2-3%.

Did the ITT begin with the climb? If it did, why in the world would Roglic start the race on a TT bike? I could understand not wanting to change bikes if the climb was in the middle of the course, so he would have to make two changes, or be at a disadvantage on part of the course, but why not start the climb on the appropriate bike, just needing to make one change later?

Did the ITT begin with the climb? If it did, why in the world would Roglic start the race on a TT bike? I could understand not wanting to change bikes if the climb was in the middle of the course, so he would have to make two changes, or be at a disadvantage on part of the course, but why not start the climb on the appropriate bike, just needing to make one change later?
Yes. You can see in @Jungle Cycle's post under yours the profile of the TT. The first 8km was the actual steeper part of the climb. After that till the finish it was flatter.
One theory I've heard from a cycling enthusiast who was at the scene is that they didn't want to risk a bike change because Grischa Niermann was the lone stuff member in the team car (so he was the car driver also) and the operation would be too difficult and take too much time to be executed by one person. So they opted not to do it.

Yes. You can see in @Jungle Cycle's post under yours the profile of the TT. The first 8km was the actual steeper part of the climb. After that till the finish it was flatter.
One theory I've heard from a cycling enthusiast who was at the scene is that they didn't want to risk a bike change because Grischa Niermann was the lone stuff member in the team car (so he was the car driver also) and the operation would be too difficult and take too much time to be executed by one person. So they opted not to do it.
That makes sense. If it's about a few seconds that you can gain, but risk losing more, this seems like a sensible approach and it also explains it.

A pretty unusal pacing strategy, usually someone would try to go harder on the 2nd part of the climb, doing te oppoosite brings the risk of blowing up. His listed weight is 66kg, if it's correct, so starting out with 6.8 w/kg for 6min is a bit risky, but it payed off.
Still not the most freakish watts that I've sen this month:

A pretty unusal pacing strategy, usually someone would try to go harder on the 2nd part of the climb, doing te oppoosite brings the risk of blowing up. His listed weight is 66kg, if it's correct, so starting out with 6.8 w/kg for 6min is a bit risky, but it payed off.
Still not the most freakish watts that I've sen this month:

True but Ganna is also 10kg heavier. I think Tim Wellens also once posted he did about 520-530W for 15 or so minutes.

The Pogmeister will ride his first Ronde van Vlaanderen this year!

TRENDING THREADS