• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Individually i don't fear Pogačar couldn't cope. But in pro cycling and especially GT races there is more to it than that. As for doing Vuelta, Tour and Giro in the period of 3 years. That is a sensible approach for Pogačar. What i expect from Pogačar on this years Tour is to try to win a stage. As for the rest, stay close to Roglič. No need to change tactics, that have a good track record.

P.S. If that would land Pogačar on the podium or in top 5 regarding GC, when taking all factors about this years Tour into consideration. That would be sensational. It very well might happen, but expecting that up front. That for sure takes away some magic.

No need to change tactics, that have a good track record.
Not sure one Vuelta constitutes a "track record". A lot of the parameters have changed as well. They won't let him go unless he's way down in GC.

If i were him, i'd try to stealth/sneak my way through the first two weeks, not showing how good he actually is. If possible, even fake signs of weakness (not talking about Armstrong theatrics). And save up al energy for one or two strong attacks. Be it for the stage or GC or both.

tm1mIji.png

Is he riding Dauphine or Lombardia next, does anybody know? For the Tour it'd be best to do Dauphine but I want to see Pogi vs Remco in Lombardia.
Pretty sure he's doing the Dauphiné.

Does anybody know what happened in the final yesterday? Of all the guys still in the peloton I was kind of expecting him to be able to follow Alaphilippe & van Aert. Legs running empty or bad positioning?

He has beaten Valverde, Poels, Lutsenko, Yates... on uphill sprints, he should certainly have been able to folllow van Aert in theory.

I think your expecting too much from him then. Matching those riders on uphill finishes is another thing to matching explosive big guys accelerating on Poggio. There is a reason why it's almost always classics guys jumping away on pure power at Poggio. Pogacar doesn't have that raw power required for such an effort. Kwiatkowski couldn't even follow them and MVDP didn't even try. It's amazing for Pogi to finish 12th in this race among so many fast and more experienced guys.

Reactions: Koronin and yaco
I think your expecting too much from him then. Matching those riders on uphill finishes is another thing to matching explosive big guys accelerating on Poggio. There is a reason why it's almost always classics guys jumping away on pure power at Poggio. Pogacar doesn't have that raw power required for such an effort. Kwiatkowski couldn't even follow them and MVDP didn't even try. It's amazing for Pogi to finish 12th in this race among so many fast and more experienced guys.

Big guys like Alaphilippe? ;)

Maybe Pogacar could have done it in rain. He's certainly great in the heat as well, but I still think rain helps him.

Alaphilippe is in league of his own in this type of accelerations. Not sure how can anyone expect Pogačar to follow him on the Poggio. At least not yet. Pogi did great taking 12th place in his 1st participation in this "sprinter's classic".
He should never be able to. If anything he'd need to move before Alaphilippe.

If there's anyting about MSR that's slightly underwhelming it's the amount of room for maneuvring tactically after the Poggio. There's nothing for riders without any sprint.

TRENDING THREADS