• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Today there was a documentary about Roglič aired on Slovenian national TV. Two anecdotes worth sharing, concerning nationals. Regarding TT, Roglič wanted to win but didn't have the legs for it. Pogačar hence won fair and square. As for the road race. Pogačar said, if i am not mistaken, a fan from alongside the road screamed, watch out, Roglič attacked, and Pogačar thought to himself, well yeah, i can obviously see that too (but not much i can do about it).

It's nice to see Pogačar and Roglič being on good terms.

So... was this finish too steep for Alaphilippe, regarding the discussion on page 24/25? Because some here thought there would be no way Roglic and Pogacar could finish ahead of Alaphilipe, unless it was too steep. With van Aert doing the leadout up to 2k before the finish, i find it hard to believe that this climb was too steep. Which guys like Dumoulin even said, that the climb was not that steep. Just wondering.
It was in fact so steep, that Roglic reached 52km/h in the sprint. lol

:kissingsmiling:

• Haha
Reactions: Red Rick
So... was this finish too steep for Alaphilippe, regarding the discussion on page 24/25? Because some here thought there would be no way Roglic and Pogacar could finish ahead of Alaphilipe, unless it was too steep. With van Aert doing the leadout up to 2k before the finish, i find it hard to believe that this climb was too steep. Which guys like Dumoulin even said, that the climb was not that steep. Just wondering.

What are you talking about?
If I remember correctly the talking was about if Roglič and Pogačar could follow Alaphilippe acceleration on Poggio, a 4km climb at 4% after 300km of racing. Today was a sprint after 10km at 6%. Not comparable IMO. Although Ala from last year wins this stage or goes toe to toe with Rogla.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
What are you talking about?
If I remember correctly the talking was about if Roglič and Pogačar could follow Alaphilippe acceleration on Poggio, a 4km climb at 4% after 300km of racing. Today was a sprint after 10km at 6%. Not comparable IMO. Although Ala from last year wins this stage or goes toe to toe with Rogla.
The part where Ala attacked on the Poggio was not 4%, and the race is over 300km.
Today's stage was 160k, the climb was far from the level of being too hard for Alaphilippe. There was still a huge group going into the final 2k.
And the point was about about the accelleration on a shallow climb.

I love that. Alaphilipe is not up to speed which could mean he can't take that intensity and finish it off, yet. He was cracking last year with Pinot and Bernal slugging it out. I don't know if he could show restraint, let the jersey for now saving his team a bit and make the last week his stake for fame?
The uncertainty of a C19 outbreak ending this Tour early has to be nuts for planning a peak.

Great second place by young Tadej! Overtaking Alalphillipe for the 2nd place and taking over the best young rider's yersey as well.

Eg2BfqQXYAIUrFW

I love that. Alaphilipe is not up to speed which could mean he can't take that intensity and finish it off, yet. He was cracking last year with Pinot and Bernal slugging it out. I don't know if he could show restraint, let the jersey for now saving his team a bit and make the last week his stake for fame?
The uncertainty of a C19 outbreak ending this Tour early has to be nuts for planning a peak.
I don't think Ala is on the same level as he was last year though. But if he can't beat Roglic & Pogacar today, i don't think it's too far fetched to think that either of them might actually be able to keep his wheel on the Poggio. Every race has different conditions and circumstances, so if we can only compare 1:1 results in order to have a discussion then we can just close the forum. I don't think he (Ala) will be able to repeat last year's feat.

Still not seeing a podium for Pogacar, but with a few obvious contenders out of the way, he does seem ripe for a top 5 spot.

The part where Ala attacked on the Poggio was not 4%, and the race is over 300km.
Today's stage was 160k, the climb was far from the level of being too hard for Alaphilippe. There was still a huge group going into the final 2k.
And the point was about about the accelleration on a shallow climb.
You think Alaphilippe didn't win because he's a worse sprinter than the likes of Quintana now?

But why didn’t Pogacar do it? He was there in San Remo, he had the chance.

I expect Pogacar to finish in top 5 if he’s not having any crashes.
He has very little experience in riding finals in classics, it was his first second monument. Could easily have spent too much energy in the final, could have been bad positioning or maybe he was banking on others doing the work for him (considering van der Poel, Matthews etc were still in his group). Or maybe he just didn't have the legs that day. But i do think that he has the potential to follow (not necessarily beat) Alaphilippe there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
I had him in 3rd on both my start of season and pre race predictions and nothing I have seen so far has done anything to make me doubt the wisdom of the selection. Aru dropping over 1 minute yesterday will also settle any team leadership questions not that I ever genuinely thought Aru deserved the leadership.

TRENDING THREADS