• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jesus he lost a minute.
Right now he's 1'28" behind the leader. You wanna know the last Tour de France with a smaller gap between yellow jersey and third place in Paris? 2008...

Let's stop acting like gaining back a minute in a GT is an insurmountable feat, especially when there's a gazillion mountain stages yet to ride.
He didn't lose podium chances yesterday. He won an opportunity to prove he's a great attacker.

Agreed - doubt his team wants to risk it, though. Pog could still finish on the podium by following wheels, after all. I think he'll just follow team orders.

It would have been better for the race if the Pogacar - Landa group had lost more time.

Could be, but loosing time in week 1 is more or less always considered to be a bad thing. Saying the more time he lost, the better his chances are. Sorry, but i don't agree with that. He would be perfectly happy, to be aligned with the other GC favorites. Would be in much better position if that would be the case. Now he has to do damage control and that will take a lot of effort. Hopefully he will have a bit of luck and will be able to tag along one super team, or at least one of them won't respond to his attack.

We'll see.

I just wish him a couple of days without a mechanical. If he gets through those next crosswind stages without one that would be surprising at this point but he would deserve it.
On the other hand he has not crashed, yet, that's an advantage over some other riders. He's an explosive and nonetheless robust climber, can get better during week 3 and he does have a very good time trial. Not all is lost. Yellow jersey's gone if the world does not go crazy (which it does sometimes in 2020), but wasn't it before he even started? Podium is still possible, although I would not expect it.

What a gutsy ride today, back luck yesterday but then we got this great show today!

EhKbnRqWAAAzZgB

Only problem could be that he is now closer again and Roglic et al will just spring onto him again an negate his attacks. Though Pogi is so aggressive I could see him just continue to attack until he is alone or a very select group willing to work is formed.

If Roglic would start to ride seriously after attacks they could form an offensive trio with Nairito.

It's amazing how aggressively he is riding. I remember watching an interview with him from a couple of years back when he was still riding for Slovenian conti team Sava. He was talking about what kind of rider he is and he said he is a defensive rider who usually only follows on the climbs. Well since he turned pro he has been a completely different rider. He is one of the most attacking rider in the peloton right now. Chapeau young man. A bright future ahead of you, no doubt.

Reactions: Forever The Best
I just came to the forum today to say that I :strawberry: Pogacar (that strawberry was the closest I found to a heart).

Some here say he will be more closely followed during his next attack, but I reckon many opted out of following his attacks today, simply because they didn't have the legs!

ps: I totally dig his bike, too.

He took 40 seconds back on guys like Roglic, Bernal, and Quintana. I realize someone from that group might have tried to follow . . . but I'm not sure they had the legs. If true, Poga might have a chance to do not too bad on GC. (I don't want to come out and say it . . . with the jinx effect.)

He took 40 seconds back on guys like Roglic, Bernal, and Quintana. I realize someone from that group might have tried to follow . . . but I'm not sure they had the legs. If true, Poga might have a chance to do not too bad on GC. (I don't want to come out and say it . . . with the jinx effect.)

Bernal: 2017 wins Avenir, 2018 wins California, 2019 wins the Tour
Pogačar: 2018 wins Avenir, 2019 wins California, 2020 ___

The real deal. A few years ago, not sure why, I watched Tour of Slovenia. The main attractions were Majka and Visconti, then I discovered this very young lad with a funny name from a no name team who was fighting with the WT riders. Turns out now he's fighting for the yellow jersey.

TRENDING THREADS