• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 46 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Now, the big question for me right now is; at which point will he stop automatically winning two jerseys whenever he wins the GC of a stage-race?
I'm guessing for races that have the BYR jersey be a U-23 competition, it could slowly start this year, providing they apply the "you're too old the year you turn 23" rule.
No, next year. He will first be ineligible for U-25 (white jersey) in 2024.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Wait & see. Until his famous time trial in the Tour, people wouldn't be saying this (just a couple of days before, he was dropped on the Col de la Loze).

There are a few others who can also light up the watts charts & climbs/time trials, so IMO we could be in for a pretty epic season if all these top GC guys are on form - including Pogacar.

But the TT happened, right? Also Peyresourde happened. Both among most impressive TdF rides in recent memory. As for Loze, Pogacar lost only 15' to his chief rival (Roglic) on his weakest day of the race, not that bad I would say. Speaking about watts/kg surely they are some very strong riders but it's not so easy to show peak form in 3-week long races (Adam Yates is a good example) where regeneration is also important (and Poga is good at that). So far only Roglic showed he's able to compete (and even win) with Pogacar in a 3-week race but there are some potential candidates (like Evenepoel, Bernal) who are yet to prove themselves against the Slovenian. But I agree that this season (and seasons ahead) could be epic if all talented guys fulfill their GT potential.

Last edited:
No, next year. He will first be ineligible for U-25 (white jersey) in 2024.

Yes, for races where the BYR jersey is U-25 it'll obviously be a little longer, especially since you can - in some races - actually win said jersey despite having already turned 25; as shown by Geoghegan Hart in the Giro last year. However, there are races where the BYR jersey is a U-23 competition.

Do we take for granted that's Roglic spot?
It will be a hard choice to make. On paper, before last year's tour, Roglic was the sure candidate for that one spot, but I think Tadej is definetely showing he is quite good even in flat (is the one in the olympics even flat) TT's.

Will be interesting to see who gets that spot.

Belgium has 2 TT spots but I guess they are higher in the UCI ranking

It will be a hard choice to make. On paper, before last year's tour, Roglic was the sure candidate for that one spot, but I think Tadej is definetely showing he is quite good even in flat (is the one in the olympics even flat) TT's.

Will be interesting to see who gets that spot.

Belgium has 2 TT spots but I guess they are higher in the UCI ranking

It's not exactly flat.

He was 13th last year, 3 seconds ahead of Van Der Poel :D

eRfLCeH.png

Reactions: Tinnekeisabella
He was 13th last year, 3 seconds ahead of Van Der Poel :D

eRfLCeH.png

I am curious to see him in the Strade Bianche this year. He has improved as a rider and his form appeared to be good in the UAE Tour so I think that he could be up there, but at the same time I have some doubts about his performances in the gravel sections, but I guess time will tell :tearsofjoy:

TRENDING THREADS