• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Good solo victory today and closing to another stage-race victory (and it's still early March). Poga in a very solid form early in the season but I think he still has reserves (so do some of his rivals). It's still early but it looks like another Slovenian duel is on the cards at the TdF.

v7THPTdk4EmucTkA423WR9-970-80.jpg.webp

• Love
Reactions: Lequack and Lui98
A year ago, some of us were wondering whether it would be reasonable to expect that Pogi could podium another grand tour in the near term. Then he went and won the TDF. And he is looking even better at this point in 2021 than he did in 2020.
He does have the challenge of leading the TdF. A situation that will allow him less time to rely on Jumbo to pull him around for weeks, save for a TT. That'll be a psychological test with the press in his face, too.

He's very, very good but better than Contador? Not yet. Don't forget he was dropped in the TdF by Roglic on Col de la Loze. I'd put him on par with Froome at this point but I will admit at such a young age his career trajectory looks ominous.

Agreed. There have been amazing climbers since Pantani. For example Armstrong (not even a climber but great ascent speed), Heras, Contador, Froome. Poga is already one of the best but I wouldn't put him ahead of those - but I've never seen a 22 yo so strong in the mountains and GTs. Schleck and Ullrich were great at the age of 22/23 but Poga was already an accomplished GT rider before he turned 22.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He does have the challenge of leading the TdF. A situation that will allow him less time to rely on Jumbo to pull him around for weeks, save for a TT. That'll be a psychological test with the press in his face, too.

Ability to handle completely different level of expectations and day-to-day media attention is certainly a question yet to be answered for him, although early signs are good. When it comes to race dynamics I'm not at all sure that Jumbo can resist the urge to control and dictate the tempo like last year. In Paris-Nice at least they have continued to follow the familiar pattern.

IMHO he is the biggest talent since Contador, and he will probably outperform him. He reminds me to Contador in his racing & attacking style. Excellent climber, very good time triallist. He is skilled enough to avoid major crashes, good positioning and understanding of the race (he is usually good in echelons).

(I don't factor Evenepoel into the mix since he is out of this planet.)

It is difficult to know what will happen. Until he does it again, he isn't that much different to Bernal from a year earlier. I mean, people were probably talking about Bernal 12 months ago, in a similar way to Pogacar now. I know that the Slovenian's level appears higher, but the peloton has gotten faster in general; I'm not sure if Pogacar in the last 12 months has been anymore dominant than Bernal (when compared to their rivals) was in the season before that.

These are the important times for Prati di Tivo as reported in la Gazzetta dello Sport this morning:

Nibali 2012: 38:58
Froome 2013: 38:23 (Nibali: 38:33 in 3rd)
Pogacar 2021: 36:07 (Nibali: 37:33 in 16th)

Apart from the fact that Pogacar smashed Froome's 2013 time (the year he would go on to "vroom, vroom" up Mont Ventoux at the Tour), even Nibali's time for 16th place yesterday was better than Froome in 2013. What does it mean? The level of performance by the 22 year-old Slovenian is just extra-terrestrial (as it used to be said in the 90s) and that the top riders are all riding considerably faster.

It is difficult to know what will happen. Until he does it again, he isn't that much different to Bernal from a year earlier. I mean, people were probably talking about Bernal 12 months ago, in a similar way to Pogacar now. I know that the Slovenian's level appears higher, but the peloton has gotten faster in general; I'm not sure if Pogacar in the last 12 months has been anymore dominant than Bernal (when compared to their rivals) was in the season before that.

Pogacar has raced only two GTs so far but won 6 difficult stages (some of them in absolutely devastating fashion). Regardless of his uphill speed his GT performances have been more impressive than Bernal's TdF, plus he's a superior TT-ist of course. I've never seen such a strong 22-yo GT racer. Evenepoel may follow his footsteps though.

Pogacar has raced only two GTs so far but won 6 difficult stages (some of them in absolutely devastating fashion). Regardless of his uphill speed his GT performances have been more impressive than Bernal's TdF, plus he's a superior TT-ist of course. I've never seen such a strong 22-yo GT racer. Evenepoel may follow his footsteps though.
We may not have seen such strong GT performances from 22year olds, but until recently the teams of elite 22year olds held them back from being leader at GTs.