• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 59 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So he's doing Tour of Slovenia June 9-13th, then his own organized criterium in his hometown, after the the nationals RR and ITT, and then onto the TDF. Meanwhile Roglic is having a different strategy of no racing before the Tour.
That seems strange to me, not to race until Le Tour. No Dauphine, No Suisse?! Who was the last rider to win Le Tour without first racing those 2 races. I mean, I thought it was about preparation. I'm just thinking out loud.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
That seems strange to me, not to race until Le Tour. No Dauphine, No Suisse?! Who was the last rider to win Le Tour without first racing those 2 races. I mean, I thought it was about preparation. I'm just thinking out loud.

Well Tadej will race for the Tour. Not the "normal" preparation races, but Slovenia is not that easy either. And winning there would give him a huge mental boost.

I believe I heard someone from his team saying they did not want the racing prior to the Tour to be too hard as he has had a long season already.

I am not sure about Roglic not doing any race, but he is apparently always top straight out of altitude camp, but then the question for me is: how will he be in the 3rd week when Roglic always seems to have a "bad" day?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and Andre
If you want someone that just focussed on the Tour you have to go back a lot to Pingeon in 1967 when there was no Dauphine, after that you have only riders that came off the Giro or Vuelta (when still ended mid may) like Janssen in 1968, Merckx in 1969, 1970, 1972 and 1974, Ocana in 1973, Hinault in 1982 and 1985, Roche in 1987, Delgado in 1988, LeMond in 1989, Indurain in 1991, 1992, 1993 and 1994 and Pantani in 1998, a couple even squezed Dauphine or Suisse in between Giro and Tour.

He still races the Tour of Slovenia and Slovenian Championships so 7 days of racing. OTOH Roglic doesn't race at all between LBL and Tour. Despite this, would you bet against them at the Tour? I wouldn't and IMO Roglic may be stronger than ever this year (depite or maybe thanks to this kind of preparation).

Reactions: Sandisfan and Andre
He still races the Tour of Slovenia and Slovenian Championships so 7 days of racing. OTOH Roglic doesn't race at all between LBL and Tour. Despite this, would you bet against them at the Tour? I wouldn't and IMO Roglic may be stronger than ever this year (depite or maybe thanks to this kind of preparation).
I would not bet against them. I would bet on Tadej for the overall.

Reactions: JosefK
Priorities…After all, winning the Tour he has done, beating Paduns time not so yeah, lets do this, no one will notice:)

Absolutely: the Tour of Slovenia is his priority this year - if he loses it again no compatriot will ever want his autograph. Once he wins it crushing Padun's time and mentality will be his obvious goal (winning the TdF again is not ambitious enough - he did it on his first try).

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
I have stated this elsewhere, months ago.

Without injury or accident, pog will win the TDF handily. As easily as anyone in modern times.
And I'm stating that without injury or accident on either side, Roglič will win. Not handily, but it will be enough... I do like all the hype though - Roglič betting ratio is dropping steadily since Basque and if Pogačar puts in some more performances on the kindergarden field, I'm hoping for 5/1 just before the tour.

His yesterday's performance was of course amazing to watch and it appears it was great in absolute terms (VAM, W/kg, etc...). However, none of the top 10, maybe 20 GC guys are here so it's not really relevant in relative terms.

And I'm stating that without injury or accident on either side, Roglič will win. Not handily, but it will be enough... I do like all the hype though - Roglič betting ratio is dropping steadily since Basque and if Pogačar puts in some more performances on the kindergarden field, I'm hoping for 5/1 just before the tour.

His yesterday's performance was of course amazing to watch and it appears it was great in absolute terms (VAM, W/kg, etc...). However, none of the top 10, maybe 20 GC guys are here so it's not really relevant in relative terms.
I'll give you 5/1 that you won't get 5/1 on Roglic winning the Tour ;) It's unlikely that you'll find (much) better than 2/1.

Reactions: Poursuivant

TRENDING THREADS