• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 97 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think Tadej‘s TT in the EC was slightly disappointing, but absolutely no need to worry.

First of all, the fact he starts in Trento shows that he is a real champion. ECs don‘t have that high prestige, and I find it just cool he starts there.

In UAE Tour 2021, he already showed he can be close to the world‘s best in flat, fast TTs. There, he lost 24 secs to Ganna on 13 kms - in Trento, he lost 81 secs to Küng in 22 kms.

I think he already had a long season, with being at his absolute peak on the second weekend of the Tour.

In any case, he is a favourite for EC RR, for WC, and Lombardia - a double Tour winner and LBL winner is always dangerous...

He already had to be in great form at the UAE Tour, he won the Tour, he went to the Olympics and won a medal. His season is simply more or less over, I think.
I would call it a rest and go the the beach with my supportive Galfriend. Maybe get a tan and sup some cocktails. Life is short and GT winning careers shorter; best to ponder and appreciate, don't you agree?

Can we react now that he got dropped uphill by a sprinter and a flat rider?
Sure.... he was exhausted. But no matter how down he is put him in a group like that... especially 2 uae teammates from the tour and he's not gonna drop completely. I'm impressed with 5th but I know he'll be better able not topnform but definitely better. If he's there with the best he'll rise.to their level. 6 million is a decent motivator

Reactions: Sandisfan
Sure.... he was exhausted. But no matter how down he is put him in a group like that... especially 2 uae teammates from the tour and he's not gonna drop completely. I'm impressed with 5th but I know he'll be better able not topnform but definitely better. If he's there with the best he'll rise.to their level. 6 million is a decent motivator

He did have a UAE teammate yesterday, i.e. Hirschi.

And yes, Hirschi pulled for Pogacar after he was dropped by Evenepoel's attack.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It was a hard race yesterday, that he needed, and will hopefully just improve his form a bit before Worlds and Lombardia.

I mean if he wasnt at his best yesterday, it is still a pretty good race from him. Pretty solid level for not being in top form.

We place high expectations on this guy in every race and it has been a long season that is already a success. If he is able to take another big win that would be incredible, but there is a lot of riders in great late-season form. Which is fantastic!

He did have a UAE teammate yesterday, i.e. Hirschi.

And yes, Hirschi pulled for Pogacar after he was dropped by Evenepoel's attack.
Hirschi (6th) and Trentin (4th) he came in right between the two. In one interview I saw I think he said (was translated from Slovenian) that that group knew they weren't gonna be able to medal and catch the French guy in 3rd. So I think they all at least the three of them decided to.shoe for UAE more than anything. Nomone was really sprinting too hard there at the finish

Yea! Him and Urska officially confirmed engagement on social media. Definitely spotted that ring last week at Euro. He's definitely making the most of this season and regardless of how it end, this is just the best win all around! Congrats Tadej and Urska. Love how they were in love before he exploded on the scene. Ring is lovely and very low key like them So pumped she'll be there for him on the future. Clear they are great for each other and cycling. Really hope he kicks some ass as World's but he'll be beaming no matter what.

Tadej hasn't been in a good form recently so his 5th place at the EU championship is a decent result. He was dropped by Remco so their 10-year war has officially begun. Hopefully he'll be ready to fight for victory in Lombardia.

What kind of a statement is that? He has ridden one race between the Olympics and the Euros...

And okay, he did explode there, but it has hardly been a long-lasting period of bad shape.