• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 118 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
As I said before, the decision of doing the Vuelta will essentially depend on how the season goes until then.

Exactly. Tadej‘s goal is to win the TdF at least six times. Winning the Vuelta or the Giro some day would be cool - but for Tadej and Emirates, it‘s the Tour that counts.

After Lance‘s results were deleted, there still is no person who has won the Tour more than five times. Tadej could be the first, so he and Emirates will do everything they can to make him win six times.

Autumn 2022 will already be part of his preparation for TdF 2023. So he will ride the Vuelta 2022 only if it makes sense.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yet with the talent he's demonstrated thus far, it's not inconcievable that he could win 6 or 7 Tours, the Giro and Vuelta (possibly once or twice in the same year as the Tour), in addition to a number of classics, of which he as already won 2 monuments plus 2 Tours all by the tender age of 23. It would be a shame if his sponsors prevent him from tackling the Giro-Tour double in this regard IMHO. But the logic of investment priorities, in today's cycling, unfortunately, has led to an overbearing emphasis on winning the Tour, which in terms of providing sponsors visibility has become too big for the general wellbeing of the sport.

Here is an article about Pogacar v Ayuso duel on Coll de Rates.

The youngster must be thinking he's getting close to Pog's level. We will see during the season. Not sure if power estimates are reliable (maybe not) but 5.9 w/kg are more like Fatacar's level. His best version is capable of 6.5 w/kg during 25 minute climbing efforts, which seem his favourite in terms of duration.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lequack
Here is an article about Pogacar v Ayuso duel on Coll de Rates.

The youngster must be thinking he's getting close to Pog's level. We will see during the season. Not sure if power estimates are reliable (maybe not) but 5.9 w/kg are more like Fatacar's level. His best version is capable of 6.5 w/kg during 25 minute climbing efforts, which seem his favourite in terms of duration.

Someone made a graph

View: https://twitter.com/CyclingGraphs/status/1484627887277981700?s=20

"The thicker the saw - the more sawdust" kind of graph.
And I suppose it would be surprising at this point to score anywhere near the top numbers.

Would be more valid to make a graph of Pogačar's records from 4 years ago if comparison's the point.

What can be reasonable is to assume both riders are under the same programming, making them close to each other regarding fitness level, and should Ayuso continue his progression, in a couple of seasons UAE might have joint GT leadership.

• Wow
That's from the same guys as the video i already posted. I hope some people won't have too hard a time sitting down today.
I think their methodology is completely wrong though. What they should do is take two different climbs, one of them being 2x longer, 2x steeper and 2x higher. Then they should take the split times of these two climbs and compare them. That way, the results would be much more conclusive.

Last edited:
So, he's recovering from a recent Covid-infection. They're trying to get him ready for the UAE Tour.
"Tadej had mild symptoms and had already completed his isolation," said team doctor Adrian Rotunno. "He has also taken his time to recover. Meanwhile, Tadej has started training lightly again."

Is Pogacar's season start in danger? "Tadej still has to undergo some final medical tests. But normally he is on track to start in the UAE Tour (20-26 February)."

Source: Sporza

So, he's recovering from a recent Covid-infection. They're trying to get him ready for the UAE Tour.
Yeah, it will be interesting to see how the performance of the riders which had been infected in this omikron wave will be affected. Several riders who had COVID last year had been affected in their performance at least for a few weeks if not for month. (Sagan for example)

I think with Omikron the effect will not be that strong anymore, but in terms of perfomance on the bike we still don´t know this yet.

Last edited:
Yeah, it will be interesting to see how the performance of the riders which are infected in this omikron wave will be affected. Several riders who had COVID last year had been affected in their performance at least for a few weeks if not for month. (Sagan for example)

I think with Omikron the effect will not be that strong anymore, but in terms of perfomance on the bike we still don´t know this yet.

I don't know. Obviously I'm not a pro atlethe (I may or may not weight 15 kilo's more the Pogacar). However I had Omnikrom about a month ago, was sick for about a week with 3 days with some pretty painfull coughing and whenever I go running or riding now I still feel the effects both in stamina and in breathing. It's certainly doesn't bode well for UA or Tirreno (I hope this ages well :p), but TdF and Vuelta woun't be affected by it.

• Wow
We'll see how it affects Pogacar. Fatigue or even reduced aerobic capacity (as @armchairclimber pointed out) is possible in the coming weeks (or even months) but every person is different. Let's hope he'll be in good form soon (but his UAE level will probably be lower, assuming he takes part: if not because of the virus then due to hampered preparations).

We'll see how it affects Pogacar. Fatigue or even reduced aerobic capacity (as @armchairclimber pointed out) is possible in the coming weeks (or even months) but every person is different. Let's hope he'll be in good form soon (but his UAE level will probably be lower, assuming he takes part: if not because of the virus then due to hampered preparations).
Yes every person is different. But at his age reduced aerobic capacity is more likely from hampered preparations than from Covid.

Not sure why you'd say that. Theathlete I referred to with reduced aerobic capacity is 16 and very fit indeed.

Two examples from kids you coach? I say that because I suffered with pneumonia in 2017, am obviously much older than 16 and yet only last year recorded an excellent VO2 max for my age (according to Garmin). It is a fact that everyone reacts differently to Covid. Pogi may be effected but it is far more likely he won't be.

TRENDING THREADS