• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 119 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not sure why you'd say that. Theathlete I referred to with reduced aerobic capacity is 16 and very fit indeed.

Two examples from kids you coach? I say that because I suffered with pneumonia in 2017, am obviously much older than 16 and yet only last year recorded an excellent VO2 max for my age (according to Garmin). It is a fact that everyone reacts differently to Covid. Pogi may be effected but it is far more likely he won't be.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Two examples from kids you coach? I say that because I suffered with pneumonia in 2017, am obviously much older than 16 and yet only last year recorded an excellent VO2 max for my age (according to Garmin). It is a fact that everyone reacts differently to Covid. Pogi may be effected but it is far more likely he won't be.

I think we were talking about time horizons of weeks or months, not years.

Only one is a teenager. The other mid- twenties. He did manage a quick ish 10k despite the fatigue mind.

As you say, I think it depends upon the individual and how it affects their lungs and how they respond to post-viral fatigue. I'm not convinced that age is an entirely reliable pridictor though.

Today, I thought, „How will Primoz be able to beat Pogi in a TdF, ever?“…

Then I searched for weaknesses Pogi has. I only found one single weakness: he doesn‘t tan that well… Regarding his tan, he reminds me of Cadel Evans, Michael Rasmussen or Floyd Landis. They all did not tan too well, and - at first - got rather red instead of brown.

Regarding everything else, Pogi might not be to be beaten by Primoz, I‘m afraid. :)

Today, I thought, „How will Primoz be able to beat Pogi in a TdF, ever?“…

Then I searched for weaknesses Pogi has. I only found one single weakness: he doesn‘t tan that well… Regarding his tan, he reminds me of Cadel Evans, Michael Rasmussen or Floyd Landis. They all did not tan too well, and - at first - got rather red instead of brown.

Regarding everything else, Pogi might not be to be beaten by Primoz, I‘m afraid. :)

I remember a week or two back when somebody said only Bernal and Vingegaard can beat Pogačar at the Tour. When Roglič was mentioned that option was quickly dismissed. Something in the lines of Roglič it to stiff on the cobbles. As like we have already seen Roglič, Pogačar, Bernal, Vingegaard racing on cobbles.

My response to such insinuations would be Roglič has already beaten Pogačar on a GT. Hence that is not really such a big deal anymore. Obviously hard thing to do but surely not impossible.

Nine days left until Pogacar starts his season. Maybe his Covid infection makes him a little bit slower at UAE Tour. Normally no problem, because he still is the big favourite. But someone like Vlasov, who seems to be in great shape already, could be quite dangerous.

Could be a final podium of Pogacar, Almeida and Vlasov. We, however, don‘t know how good Almeida already is. So the win could be between Pogi and Vlasov.

• Wow
I remember a week or two back when somebody said only Bernal and Vingegaard can beat Pogačar at the Tour. When Roglič was mentioned that option was quickly dismissed. Something in the lines of Roglič it to stiff on the cobbles.

IMO this is a rather rare opinion. Many people (me included) think that only Primoz can beat Tadej at the Tour. They are just too good for the rest regarding their general mountain/TT level in a 3 week race. Last year we saw it clearly.

a good question is now that Bernal is out, who is the best of the rest

In terms of peak GT level I would say it's Vingegaard (very strong in mountains and TTs: full GT package) but he basically proved himself only in one GT so the sample is really small. Not sure how consistent he can be in the coming years. Other top guys have a weakness (TT), which makes it almost impossible to topple the Slovenians but peak Vingegaard has no weak point, it seems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan and Lui98
IMO this is a rather rare opinion. Many people (me included) think that only Primoz can beat Tadej at the Tour. They are just too good for the rest regarding their general mountain/TT level in a 3 week race. Last year we saw it clearly.

On their top level, I think this is probably true.

I might also add -- again, at their top level -- Dumoulin and, yes, Thomas. It's not clear, of course, that they'll ever get there again. But both Dumo and GT have superior TT skills that are equal or better than both the Slovenians, and can climb with the top group. But I could see 2017 Dumoulin, with a decent team, giving them a run for their money in the Tour.

A healthy Bernal, even though he won a Tour, seems to lack the TT ability, although he's not far off. Carapaz is not quite there, either.

Historically we've seen plenty of dominant riders in the Tour so it's not far-fetched to say it will be 2025 before we see a real threat to Pog/Rog (especially Pog)