• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 130 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yes, probably would have been better to wait a few seconds but to have the whereabouts full of adrenaline makes those small details and calls difficult to make 100% correctly.
Milano-Sanremo is the race where you have no excuse for not knowing every meter of the final 10 km. If you attack before the flat part of the climb, it should never be so early and never in to a headwind. They knew this morning what the wind direction would be.

FOOxgtwXwAMgh7-

And yet we see them very carefully time the attack on Poggio year after year. It's one thing to accept that he is not faultless, it's another not to recognise that he really made a mess of how he tackled the climb. He *** up.

He messed up things a bit on the Poggio but in the end I don't think that it would have made a difference, getting 5th in this race is still a good result given his skillset

Milano-Sanremo is the race where you have no excuse for not knowing every meter of the final 10 km. If you attack before the flat part of the climb, it should never be so early and never in to a headwind. They knew this morning what the wind direction would be.
In fact I think Pog gave massive proof today that while there are many ways to win Sanremo there is only one good place to attack uphill

Maybe an early attack because he knew that he couldn´t drop guys like Van Aert or Van der Poel with an attack near the top. Even at his best they can follow him in a short uphill sprint. Following the approach of his teammates. Trying to use the entire length of the climb to make it as hard as possible for all. Problem was that no one else was even trying to attack. Race slowed down as soon as Pogacar stopped.
In the end it probably would have been better to wait and make one all out move but I don´t think he would have dropped any of the big names.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Gotta give it to Pogacar for making the Poggio climb really exciting :cool: he just went too damn early to make it stick to the end.....
I don't doubt he'll be able to win it sometime in the future, as he'll get more experience to read better the race during that crucial time within the last 7 K where a simple 200 metre gap set at the right time can lead to win the race....

truly happy with his aggressive riding, proving he's not a simple GT winner, but a natural born bike racer seeking to excel in every race he participates in, every time and everywhere. Cheer to you Pogacar :sunglasses:

You only need few leaders in your team for the whole calendar with him, compared to the few last decades. Each race he looks more and more like the next incarnation of cycling demigod. Only being a complete non-factor on cobble will put some early doubt.
And I can't blame opponents for being hesitant to take initiative while he's around, it's almost basic for him chasing everything and still had a lot in the tank at the end.

It didn't work out but it was exciting indeed. Brutal pace by UAE and strong attacks by Pog. Tadej often follows his instinct and attacks when he feels it but maybe due to it his first attack was mistimed.

Even though he failed at the end it's clear that Pog is in a superb form - those repeated accelerations and ability to follow counterattacks. I think he would drop everyone (included Roglic) had it been a bigger climb. Will he keep his spring peak until Flandres and Ardennes classics? That's his goal but we will see.

His impressive streak of 4 consecutive WT races won (from Lombardy) has been snapped but he's still on a 4 stage-races winning streak.

Last edited:
I actually dont think yesterday shows great prospects for Pogs Sanremo chamces in the future. Circumstances benefitted him tremendously with the many withdrawals and the huge tailwind, yet attacking early on the Poggio did nothing despite a massive pace on the Cipressa.

Pogacar would have to wait for the same place as Alaphilippe and then hope for the best. But he doesnt have Alas kick and hes also not that level of descender to stay away with a small gap

Maybe it would actually be better to not pace Cipressa and make the Poggio ascent more crowded and chaotic. All that a near record Cipressa did was help everyones positioning.

I actually dont think yesterday shows great prospects for Pogs Sanremo chamces in the future. Circumstances benefitted him tremendously with the many withdrawals and the huge tailwind, yet attacking early on the Poggio did nothing despite a massive pace on the Cipressa.

Pogacar would have to wait for the same place as Alaphilippe and then hope for the best. But he doesnt have Alas kick and hes also not that level of descender to stay away with a small gap

Maybe it would actually be better to not pace Cipressa and make the Poggio ascent more crowded and chaotic. All that a near record Cipressa did was help everyones positioning.

Pogacar clearly said that he attacked too early and in the headwind. Matthews confirmed that the wind didn't favour Pogacar.

TRENDING THREADS