• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 159 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I wonder if Pogi had to go full gas today, or if he just needed 98% or so…

In last year‘s first mountain stage, he dropped Vingegaard and Carapaz by 3mins 20secs. This year, Vinge was same time, Primoz +12secs.

Jonas and Primoz will do everything they can to beat Pogacar in the final GC. Pogi again peaked for the first 7-9 stages. He (Pogi) will deteriorate from next Tuesday on. Jonas will become better from next Tuesday on. Primoz will feel less pain, day after day.

I now expect a close GC battle. In Paris, the unthinkable could happen, and we could see a final podium of 1 Vinge, 2 Primoz, and 3 Pogi.

• Love
Reactions: SarahtheDane

In last year‘s first mountain stage, he dropped Vingegaard and Carapaz by 3mins 20secs. This year, Vinge was same time, Primoz +12secs.

Jonas and Primoz will do everything they can to beat Pogacar in the final GC. Pogi again peaked for the first 7-9 stages. He (Pogi) will deteriorate from next Tuesday on. Jonas will become better from next Tuesday on. Primoz will feel less pain, day after day.

I now expect a close GC battle. In Paris, the unthinkable could happen, and we could see a final podium of 1 Vinge, 2 Primoz, and 3 Pogi.
While there could be unexpected changes, I would not assume pog has peaked yet. As for Rog, it depends on the types of injuries

Reactions: jmdirt

We need to wait until stages 11 & 12 before making any comparisons at all to stage 8 last year.

Are you serious? In a Tour with as many mountains in the last 10 days and, not having raced much since Flanders to concentrate on the Tour, Pog and his team staff have planned for him to peak for the first 7-9 stages, with Galibier-Alpe d'Huez/Hautecam/40 km tt all to come thereafter? Either he and his team staff are complete idiots or I fear you are misguided.

Last year Vingegaard was dropped by minutes on the first mountain stage? As if that stage is in anyway comparable to today's, on a completely different parcours, with only a final ascent as a real test, under completely different climatic conditions and with a totally different race dynamic since the start of the Tour?

And Pog still dusted Vingegaard in the end, despite having led the charge from 1 km out.

The only thing Pog has to fear is his team not being able to control a multi-front attack. But the kid on his own will otherwise continue to be king of the hill in this race. And no single rider can dethrone him.

As Gregrowlerson has perceptively indicated, we have to wait for Bastille Day to make comparisons with last year's first alpine stage, but even then the dynamic will be different.

Last edited:
I for one see zero benefits to adding an unpaved surface for the finish on a @18% grade..I think the stupid and sudden dust storm created at the finish was uncalled for..
Pog's punch is phenomenal!! The guy can reach down and really go deep..he is really a talent..his TT result and his race prep looks to be perfect..watching his team pace him up the climb..Jumbo not as deep a talent..

I for one see zero benefits to adding an unpaved surface for the finish on a @18% grade..I think the stupid and sudden dust storm created at the finish was uncalled for..
Pog's punch is phenomenal!! The guy can reach down and really go deep..he is really a talent..his TT result and his race prep looks to be perfect..watching his team pace him up the climb..Jumbo not as deep a talent..
On a little dirt, the trend started in Italy with la Eroica, which evolved into Strade Bianche, and was based on a nostalgia for that "heroic cycling" on unpaved country and mountain roads from the pre-and-during Coppi and Bartali era. It has factored into the Colle delle Finestre ascent of the Giro, a throwback to something akin to the first Alpe d'Huez climb entirely on dirt (!) in 52 won by Coppi. At that time they frequently rode on dirt and with bikes 10 pounds heavier. I thus think a little blast from the past, as insisting that pavé is necessary and worthy challenge to Tour riders, isn't a bad thing and, in moderation, enhances the spectacle.

Nice article about Tadej.

Who the Hell Even Are You, Tadej Pogačar?

The 23-year-old phenom makes winning the Tour de France look easy. I went to Slovenia to find out how.

“[If] you are good and you succeeded, then you always have haters,” he later told me, a bit churlishly. “If you don’t have haters, then you’re not there yet.”

Last edited:
On a serious note, who makes the decision to go full green, yellow or polka with the skinsuits?

This is not acceptable to ride around France looking like a giant banana. He could be mistaken for one of the zealous fans in weird attire on the cols with this sort of fashion disaster.

Nice article about Tadej.

Who the Hell Even Are You, Tadej Pogačar?
The 23-year-old phenom makes winning the Tour de France look easy. I went to Slovenia to find out how.

Kate Wagner writes good content.

I‘m still not sure what to expect of Pogi in the next two weeks. Remember, even Lance Armstrong had bad days. So Pogi, who is half a step below Lance, also will have worse days, probably.

If Pogi loses 1:30 minutes on a tough mountain stage and another 0:30 in the final TT, Primoz could finish this Tour on the top step in Paris.

It looks good for #3 for Tadej, but Primoz and Vingegaard will fight like never before to finish in front of him in Paris.

Primoz is a guy with a ski jumping background. Though he looks nice, he is a warrior. „Insane“ is just „normal“ for a ski jumper. Primoz is mentally unbeatable.

Pogi and UAE were strong today. But they will face a JV team led by a ski jumper and by people who‘d cut off a finger for finally winning this TdF. On the other hand, UAE face an Ineos team that is so strong that it makes Team Sky look like recreational cyclists.

I fear the worst for Pogi, TBH: a third place in final GC in Paris. And don‘t forget, Pogi dropped Enric Mas today by only 21 seconds. That‘s the same Enric Mas that lost 5 minutes and 21 seconds to Pogi on this year‘s Carpegna stage in Tirreno, last March.

• Wow
On a little dirt, the trend started in Italy with la Eroica, which evolved into Strade Bianche, and was based on a nostalgia for that "heroic cycling" on unpaved country and mountain roads from the pre-and-during Coppi and Bartali era. It has factored into the Colle delle Finestre ascent of the Giro, a throwback to something akin to the first Alpe d'Huez climb entirely on dirt (!) in 52 won by Coppi. At that time they frequently rode on dirt and with bikes 10 pounds heavier. I thus think a little blast from the past, as insisting that pavé is necessary and worthy challenge to Tour riders, isn't a bad thing and, in moderation, enhances the spectacle.
Ah, I didn't know the Gran Fondo already started back in 1997.

Reactions: Extinction
I‘m still not sure what to expect of Pogi in the next two weeks. Remember, even Lance Armstrong had bad days. So Pogi, who is half a step below Lance, also will have worse days, probably.

If Pogi loses 1:30 minutes on a tough mountain stage and another 0:30 in the final TT, Primoz could finish this Tour on the top step in Paris.

It looks good for #3 for Tadej, but Primoz and Vingegaard will fight like never before to finish in front of him in Paris.

Primoz is a guy with a ski jumping background. Though he looks nice, he is a warrior. „Insane“ is just „normal“ for a ski jumper. Primoz is mentally unbeatable.

Pogi and UAE were strong today. But they will face a JV team led by a ski jumper and by people who‘d cut off a finger for finally winning this TdF. On the other hand, UAE face an Ineos team that is so strong that it makes Team Sky look like recreational cyclists.

I fear the worst for Pogi, TBH: a third place in final GC in Paris. And don‘t forget, Pogi dropped Enric Mas today by only 21 seconds. That‘s the same Enric Mas that lost 5 minutes and 21 seconds to Pogi on this year‘s Carpegna stage in Tirreno, last March.
I thought trolls were in bed before 9 p.m. But I forgot school is over...

[/QUOTE]

As if Mas didn't crash in the last descent that day...

There is a chance that Pogačar finishes in second place behind Vingegård but no way he ends in third.

Reactions: inri2000
The biggest problem for Pog is the strength and depth of Jumbo and Ineos. They will try to ambush him in the Alpes and Pyrenees.
I don't think that is a "problem", just a concern. Pog and UAE just need to be wary.

As for team strengths, both Ineos and Jumbo can have a stronger teams but it comes back to how strong is the leader relative to the competition. Two examples that come to mind are Ineos 2022 Giro and Jumbo in 2020 TdF. Very strong teams but in the end the leaders were the difference.

Looking at their leaders, Vingegaard obviously looks closest to Pog after today, Thomas I think is just hanging on as best he can and seems to be aiming for a podium. Poor Roglic will likely lose too much time before he finds his legs which I hope he does.

They should have had a water truck knock the dust down.

Reactions: inri2000

Your mate and his 'very weak cyclist' argument seems to be gone, Lance "best cyclist of all time" gladly take over now as the recurring character.

And please keep on comparing gap between two cyclist in different circumstances as a way to gauge the level of one of them, so you'll probably be able to see that Ineos looks like recreational golfers at the Tour compared to peak Sky.

TRENDING THREADS