• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 179 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
At the end having strong team is a must if you face similary strong rider.

In first 10 stages Pogi was burning big amounts of energy getting that half a minute gap (little return for the energy spent).

We all know what happened on stage 11 when he was isolated from his own team basically at the start of stage defending against 2 sometimes even 4 JV riders. Looked like lonely bee attacked by group of wasps TBH.

As soon as clock was reversed he had to attack relentlessly and except "all in" stage 17 his helpers (Majka excluded) were nowhere to be seen.

JV had relatively simple tactic. Glue Vinge on Pogi's wheel, send WVA into breakaway (if things somehow go south), have one or two domestiques ready when needed. All JV team looked like everything is under control and Pogi was burning matches day after day. After what I seen from stage 12 on I was surprised that he did not overcooked himself again on stage 18.

Reactions: Sandisfan
On the long run i feel that the performance on this Tour will gain him much fans.

As for some replies implying tactics were bad. On the stage 11. Maybe his personal tactics and decisions yes. But not tactics from his team. As UAE was a non factor on stage 11.

As for Pogi vs Jonas. Here i still feel that without Roglič it will be much harder for Jonas to gain time on Pogi. In a such fashion. On the other hand it does look like Jonas made a huge leap forward. The difference in between the duo and the rest was just light years.

I think the loss this year is def not a sign that he will never win the tour again.

I think the big factor was the lack of team. Even before the covid cases.

Even during the first week, Tadej was usually alone in the peloton which takes too much energy.

Bjerg, Mcnulty and majka tried a bit, but against Jumbo it was no use.
The difference will mainly be that others have smelled blood. For two straight years he has seemed unbeatable throughout most of the year. There was no weakness to be found. Now all of a sudden he gets dropped twice. Other teams will start opposing him with a changed mindset.

The difference will mainly be that others have smelled blood. For two straight years he has seemed unbeatable throughout most of the year. There was no weakness to be found. Now all of a sudden he gets dropped twice. Other teams will start opposing him with a changed mindset.
Well of course that was about to happen someday (otherwise he would def be clinic material).

Apart from Vingegaard no one came close anyway which will mean he wil still be the main favorite everywhere.

I think, to the contrary, he will probably find more allies in the future who think they can win by helping Tadej against the mighty Jumbo.

Either way, I look forward to the next years. It will get excited

The is a sense of injustice in such defeat. Getting beaten by two. It's not in win but in defeat. Where you evolve and better yourself. And it's not like Pogačar would ever win 10 Tours in a row. And it's not like the level he presented alone wasn't still light years ahead of the competition.

What he has to do now is to bounce back. A rather small bounce is needed.

The is a sense of injustice in such defeat. Getting beaten by two. It's not in win but in defeat. Where you evolve and better yourself. And it's not like Pogačar would ever win 10 Tours in a row. And it's not like the level he presented alone wasn't still light years ahead of the competition.

What he has to do now is to bounce back. A rather small bounce is needed.
He was beaten by his overconfidence and one rider was able to take advantage of it. There is no sense of injustice imho. He fell victim to his own mistakes. If anything, TJV fooled him on stage 11 and outpokered him. Tactics and mindgames are as great a part of the sport as pushing watts. Which is actually what makes it so interesting.

He was beaten by his overconfidence and one rider was able to take advantage of it. There is no sense of injustice imho. He fell victim to his own mistakes. If anything, TJV fooled him on stage 11 and outpokered him. Tactics and mindgames are as great a part of the sport as pushing watts. Which is actually what makes it so interesting.

He was beaten by two on this Tour edition. Two against one in general feels a bit unjust. Add the riding style he had after. The whole unjust part is not on Roglilčes level still he earned fans for sure. Fans are pesky about this. They know.

He indeed got fooled by Jumbo using Roglic which he should have known was less of a threat.

But hopefully he will indeed learn from it, I am pretty sure it wont happen ever again.

I would love to hear how Roglic saw this whole 2 against 1 though. The uncensored version. Not sure we will ever though.

The term fooled is in my opinion not all that correct. He took some serious beating from Roglič. Lets not forget the attacks started at the Télégraphe. And lasted and lasted. Both Primož and Jonas doing around half. Tadej always at 100%.

Two potential Tour winners have beaten one. If we wouldn't be talking about two potential Tour winners. Against one. It would never had happened as it did.

I'm one of those easily influenced guys who will have an easier time cheering for pogacar now. Like especially roglic-fans stated, facing adversity plays a big part in sympathy. Getting beaten by Jonas, the little crash, dropped by van aert make him seem more human (although, objectively, he was still the one and only playing among the non-humans).

Reactions: CyclistAbi
Overanalyzing much here? He wasn't fooled, he didn't spend more energy than Vingegaard on the Galibier, his team turned out to be quite good actually, only Hirschi bad, the rest good, Majka never rode that well as helper his whole career, just that Jumbo is extra-terrestrial. Forget Sky at its best, nowhere close to this.

But in the end reason 1, 2 and 3 are: Vingegaard just was better. If he wasn't, Pogacar would still have won.

Overanalyzing much here? He wasn't fooled, he didn't spend more energy than Vingegaard on the Galibier, his team turned out to be quite good actually, only Hirschi bad, the rest good, Majka never rode that well as helper his whole career, just that Jumbo is extra-terrestrial. Forget Sky at its best, nowhere close to this.

But in the end reason 1, 2 and 3 are: Vingegaard just was better. If he wasn't, Pogacar would still have won.

Likely copied from the JV almanac?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laZELJvIV0Y

He literally says he did one of his best power outputs in the stage yesterday, and it wasn't enough. Also says the form is where he wants to be. Idk if season approach is gonna change much. Yes he did the classics but he didn't overrace or anything.

I also don't think Pogacar can just "become more focussed and peak on just the Tour". That trick doesn't work for everyone. He's just naturally a rider who's always good everywhere he starts. Always has been. It won't work.