• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 192 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Do you think Pogacar should change anything in his preparation for next year ?

If so, what do you think should be changed ?

I think in general his season was similarly good to last year with notable exceptions in a couple of races (Tour loss to Vinge and Liege withdrawal), which made the previous season outstanding. It's possible that he will focus more on the Tour next year knowing how super strong Vinge is. But TBH I would like him to do what he's done so far: fireworks on classics plus a GT.

Do you think Pogacar should change anything in his preparation for next year ?

If so, what do you think should be changed ?
No, just continue the approach he has now, which is basically target all the big races. That seems the most entertaining for us wievers. I hope the Tour defeat this year doesn't change a thing. We don't want him to become another Vingegaard that aims and peaks for one race a year and goes on a two month hiatus after the Tour.

No, just continue the approach he has now, which is basically target all the big races. That seems the most entertaining for us wievers. I hope the Tour defeat this year doesn't change a thing. We don't want him to become another Vingegaard that aims and peaks for one race a year and goes on a two month hiatus after the Tour.

Agreed.
But maybe if he targets only 1-2 big race before the TdF, instead of 3-4. And then keeps all the other big races after the TdF he could improve his TdF fitness while still being entertaining enough for us viewers. Maybe he could even add a Vuelta in there ?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Agreed.
But maybe if he targets only 1-2 big race before the TdF, instead of 3-4. And then keeps all the other big races after the TdF he could improve his TdF fitness while still being entertaining enough for us viewers. Maybe he could even add a Vuelta in there ?
Yes. He had 24 race days in him prior to the Tour this year, most of which was hard racing. Cut it down by a full stage race and a couple of the one day races and he could be fresher for the Tour. Although still might not be enough.

Yes. He had 24 race days in him prior to the Tour this year, most of which was hard racing. Cut it down by a full stage race and a couple of the one day races and he could be fresher for the Tour. Although still might not be enough.

He acknowledged himself that Jonas made more progress than himself for 2022 season (and he was already very close in 2021 bar the Le Grand-Bornard stage). I still think he could win 2022 TDF with stronger (or best possible) UAE team and better tactics.

Race dynamics would be a lot different if there wasn't Col du Granon blowout and Jonass would be forced to attack. I guess 2021 win was "too comfortable" and they took the whole 2022 season a little too confidently. No rider is almighty.

He acknowledged himself that Jonas made more progress than himself for 2022 season (and he was already very close in 2021 bar the Le Grand-Bornard stage). I still think he could win 2022 TDF with stronger (or best possible) UAE team and better tactics.

Race dynamics would be a lot different if there wasn't Col du Granon blowout and Jonass would be forced to attack. I guess 2021 win was "too comfortable" and they took the whole 2022 season a little too confidently. No rider is almighty.

I agree. He basically held his own against three of the best riders in the world, save from a little help from McNulty in the third week. A few things break his way, and better tactics on Granon, and we're not having this discussion. Not sure how much more "progress" he could make -- he looks to be about as complete a rider as you could find, and if he cuts weight to help his climbing that will hurt his explosiveness.

Not sure how much more "progress" he could make -- he looks to be about as complete a rider as you could find, and if he cuts weight to help his climbing that will hurt his explosiveness.

I don't know but these were his words. He said that he thought that he was good enough to win it all but unfortunately Jonas was able to push higher watts.

I don't wanna see Pogi only once in the season for those three weeks in France so I hope cutting weight and concentrationg on sole goal for the season is out of the question ;)

• Wow

I think we can agree that Jonas was basically undroppable in the mountains this year. If Pog used less energy on the cobbles and Granon and hadn't cracked the race between them would be very tight but Pog probably wouldn't gain time anywhere except the first week and time bonuses. With a couple of cold days his victory would be more likely though. I think it's close to 50-50 for the next year between them with an edge to the current winner.

Pogacar 's demise against Jumbo-Visma (it was never him against Jonas) was his own fault but it turned him more human and more likeable. He put up on a show with sportmanship and panache and that granted him more fans than a bleak win ever could. Going backwards to preparing just for the TdF would be a disappointement and I think he really loves to race in different fields.

Since this year I can enjoy his amazing racing (which objectively Was always exciting as hell) much more, thx to vingegaard proving he is not an unbeatable machine. Well done today and glad He git a big one, would have been undeserved to miss out while being incredibly strong All season!

TRENDING THREADS