• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 232 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
FseKbuDWwAAzx9T

I just love the fact that he got one of those TdF hats that gets passed out/sold to fans.

Yes, that's my favourite part about this picture too!

I'm curious what the race plan was that he didn't follow last year in De Ronde.

Has he said that? Or the team?

However, that could mean anything or just mind games. Like there is a secret weapon or something.

In reality, he will try at Kwaremont/Paterberg. It is best chance to get away, but also what everyone expects. He needs to make the race hard and thats where to do it.

Who knows, a spontaneous attack on the flat or right after a big effort on top of a hill and no one responding that could be the winning move.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Has he said that? Or the team?

However, that could mean anything or just mind games. Like there is a secret weapon or something.

In reality, he will try at Kwaremont/Paterberg. It is best chance to get away, but also what everyone expects. He needs to make the race hard though and thats where to do it.

Who knows, a spontaneous attack on the flat or right after a big effort on top of a hill and no one responding that could be the winning move.
A former DS of his.

A former DS of his.

Without saying what the actual plan was, there is not much to go by. They wont tell us.

They have scenarios they have thought of and where could be a good idea to go... but ultimately what happens in the actual race decides. Splits, mechanicals, crashes and so on changes tactics.

A very different story from lets MSR, where MVDP executed a plan perfectly. It would just depend on, if he had the day or not. Because much would not happen before Poggio. It was very unlikely, at least.

A DS saying that just raises more questions and as you put it, curiosity. Like what was the plan last year? Will they try to stick to the plan this time? Will it work?

I think it is just mind games to make the others second-guess themselves. They know when the first blow will likely take place and then it is race on. Nothing more to think about.

I just rewatched the finish last year. That was an epic game of chicken with MvdP. Not sure he could have won that sprint, even coming from behind.

How does he play it this year if he has to go to the line with one or both of the Vans? His best hope is that he can find another escape partner -- Mohoric? Powless? Maduous again? -- who wants to work and will be satisfied with a second place, because Pog can outsprint any of the rouleurs and most everyone else after 260 km.

Also he lives in Monaco. There are probably half of citizens who are more popular and rich than him. Cycling is not that popular in the world((

Yes!

But! Monaco is a place where a lot of cyclists live and there is a big community there. I think that is a place where he would be recognized quite often actually, although you are right there are a lot of other celebrities and rich people in town.

Traveling around the world and to major cities... he probably wont have much trouble. He wont get mobbed, at least.

Reactions: Sandisfan and repre
Yes!

But! Monaco is a place where a lot of cyclists live and there is a big community there. I think that is a place where he would be recognized quite often actually, although you are right there are a lot of other celebrities and rich people in town.

Traveling around the world and to major cities... he probably wont have much trouble. He wont get mobbed, at least.
Wearing the TdF hat is probably his way of going under the radar. No Tour winner would go around in a hat like that, surely.

I just rewatched the finish last year. That was an epic game of chicken with MvdP. Not sure he could have won that sprint, even coming from behind.

How does he play it this year if he has to go to the line with one or both of the Vans? His best hope is that he can find another escape partner -- Mohoric? Powless? Maduous again? -- who wants to work and will be satisfied with a second place, because Pog can outsprint any of the rouleurs and most everyone else after 260 km.
He needs to keep the speed high and not let it become a game of acceleration. Still unlikely to win, but it’s possible. If the group is more than the Big 3 it will provide chances to counter attack or surprise them. If Asgreen did it Pog has at least a chance. I still think his best chance is trying to get into an unexpected split a long ways out, and letting VdP do the work on the final 2 hills if he wants a chance.

Yes!

How much of cycling community there are fans and not Philippe Gilberts? Cause Gilberts probably won't mob Pogi unless they are teammates or it's actual race))

Also he lives in Monaco. There are probably half of citizens who are more popular and rich than him. Cycling is not that popular in the world((

Well it's quite popular, at least the TDF, the most watched annual sports event in the word:

"The Tour de France is the most watched annual sporting event in the world, with over 3.5 billion viewers worldwide. "

• Haha
Reactions: repre
Well it's quite popular, at least the TDF, the most watched annual sports event in the word:

"The Tour de France is the most watched annual sporting event in the world, with over 3.5 billion viewers worldwide. "

Those crashes and sprint finishes really rack up a lot of views.

TRENDING THREADS