• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 272 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He has said he simply doesn't feel as strong as the other guys in one day races. I can understand why people think he should be able to do better. In stage races he races so much like Pog, with the good sprint and mean mountain watts. But he just can't as it stands.
Let me put it this way.

Stage 1 of the Tour is an LBL type stage. I full expect him to be top 5 over the top of the penultimate climb there

Let me put it this way.

Stage 1 of the Tour is an LBL type stage. I full expect him to be top 5 over the top of the penultimate climb there
It's going to be exciting to see. Think he is in luck here, that Pog might be a little off in the beginning. It's easy to look like a fool when predicting cycling, but he did look good in his test run earlier this year.

Contadors rivals didn't do much in monuments either so it wasn't much of a stick to beat him with.
His biggest rival did, but on the other hand, he basically only rode two races a year at his peak. Lule.

I don't understand the Vingegaard bashing. He has tried the one day races, but hes just not very good at them so he skips them to pursue other targets: big WT one week stage races, and of course TdF. Hows that not good enough? Are you guys serious, or just straight up stupid? Its very normal to plan your season around your strengths and weaknesses, and so Vingegaard has done that, just as Pogacar has done that.

His biggest rival did, but on the other hand, he basically only rode two races a year at his peak. Lule.

I don't understand the Vingegaard bashing. He has tried the one day races, but hes just not very good at them so he skips them to pursue other targets: big WT one week stage races, and of course TdF. Hows that not good enough? Are you guys serious, or just straight up stupid? Its very normal to plan your season around your strengths and weaknesses, and so Vingegaard has done that, just as Pogacar has done that.
I didn't criticize him for it. If I were him I would have done a similar thing to what he did last year, and try to learn those one day races in the fall, so probably do the Tre Valli/Emilia races instead of Croatia.

Maybe you can criticize him for not going to the 2021 Olympcis considering the parcours, but whatever, I don't know why he wasn't there.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I didn't criticize him for it. If I were him I would have done a similar thing to what he did last year, and try to learn those one day races in the fall, so probably do the Tre Valli/Emilia races instead of Croatia.

Maybe you can criticize him for not going to the 2021 Olympcis considering the parcours, but whatever, I don't know why he wasn't there.
Oh yeah, it wasn't directed at you at all, I just find it weird how clueless some posters are in regards to wanting riders like Vingegaard to compete in a broad variety of races. I'd much rather him doing this schedule, or a lighter spring and Tour + Vuelta. He just doesnt stand a chance against Pogacar and Remco in one day races, and thats fine. Who cares, that's not what he's good at. I think he's very similar to Froome and Contador in that aspect.

Dno about the Olympics. I mean, if he doesn't ride that race, he basically doesn't ride any races with the National team. Again, I don't really care since I wouldn't really rate his chances. Maybe some day in the future he will prepare for a Worlds or something.

• Wow
Oh yeah, it wasn't directed at you at all, I just find it weird how clueless some posters are in regards to wanting riders like Vingegaard to compete in a broad variety of races. I'd much rather him doing this schedule, or a lighter spring and Tour + Vuelta. He just doesnt stand a chance against Pogacar and Remco in one day races, and thats fine. Who cares, that's not what he's good at. I think he's very similar to Froome and Contador in that aspect.

Dno about the Olympics. I mean, if he doesn't ride that race, he basically doesn't ride any races with the National team. Again, I don't really care since I wouldn't really rate his chances. Maybe some day in the future he will prepare for a Worlds or something.
Danish national team has potential to be pretty stacked, they don't need him, hehe. But a real mountain parcours could maybe bring him out in the future.

I expect you're from Denmark bc of your username.
I am from DK as well. But I hope Pogacar will win. Jonas Vingegaard is the peloton most boring rider. Both in style and as a person.
Pogacar deserve to win, he is a most bigger gift to the sport.
The way Jonas Vingegaard stay in altitude camp all year around to peak in the 3rd week of the Tour is a disgrace for the sport and the fans.
Vingegaard in 2023:

O Gran Camino: 3 stage wins and the overall.
Paris Nice: 1 stage win and 3d on GC.
Itzulia: 3 stage wins and the overall.

He's going to ride Dauphine next week (and will probably win that as well).

It's Pogacar who's the anomaly. Vingegaard has tried the classics but somehow he just can't do it. So now he's decided to focus on stage racing. What is wrong with that? As for being a boring person, some of us don't just look at who smiles at the camera the most to find the most interesting personality.

Vingegaard in 2023:

O Gran Camino: 3 stage wins and the overall.
Paris Nice: 1 stage win and 3d on GC.
Itzulia: 3 stage wins and the overall.

He's going to ride Dauphine next week (and will probably win that as well).

It's Pogacar who's the anomaly. Vingegaard has tried the classics but somehow he just can't do it. So now he's decided to focus on stage racing. What is wrong with that? As for being a boring person, some of us don't just look at who smiles at the camera the most to find the most interesting personality.
He did amazing in the Basque Country. So why didn't he go to FW and LBL?
Pogacar and Remco is just on different level for the sport and a true gift for all cycling fans. End of story.

Indeed. A win is a win.
No. It's a Jumbo win.

He did amazing in the Basque Country. But why didn't he go to FW and LBL?
Pogacar and Remco is just on different level for the sport and a true gift for all cycling fans. End of story.

No. It's a Jumbo win.
Just because Remco rides LBL he's a gift and Vingegaard is not? Ridiculous. You could even argue that Remco shuns the real opposition he could get in the Tour, something Vingegaard clearly is not afraid of.

Vingegaard gave cycling fans a great Tour last year, Granon was the best Tour stage in years and it's not even close. To be honest I'm yet to see a race half as exciting with Evenepoel in it, but that's just a matter of taste I guess.

Pogi is amazing, there's no doubt about that. But to now judge every rider by Pogi standards is a bit unfair, don't you think? Pogi is maybe the best allround cyclist ever, but Vingegaard might just be the best 3 week stage racer at this moment. Give him his due.

Pogi is amazing, there's no doubt about that. But to now judge every rider by Pogi standards is a bit unfair, don't you think? Pogi is maybe the best allround cyclist ever, but Vingegaard might just be the best 3 week stage racer at this moment. Give him his due.

I think I give Vingegaard a lot of credit. That's why I want him to do more.
He could win LBL. But anyway maybe I just rate Jonas Vingegaard's talent higher than his fans.

TRENDING THREADS