• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 608 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don’t think he hated him but there was definitely tension. Rog let Pog get crucified by public trial in Slovenia so much so that his mum gave a rare interview saying she wished Tadej never won the tour that year because of how traumatic the whole situation was.
What could Rog do to prevent so called fans crucifying Pog? Announce that he is happy to loose TDF? I did not notice any tension from Rog's side.

There was however tension inside Rog's fan base but problem with majority Slovenian fans is that they started following cycling in 2016 or so and knew next to nothing about tactical aspects of the game in 2020 and having clear favourite among both Slovenian stars.

I admit I cheared for Pogi that stage in 2020 TDF as I like suspension and turnarounds. I also like Pog's racing style a little more.

But in 2024 edition of TDF I will most likely chear for Rog because of his story, character, bad luck in recent years and fact that this year might be one of the last chances for him to finish in yellow.

This does not mean that as Slovenian I do not support both of them. One brought Slovenia to the cycling map and other is generational talent from Slovenia. On the other hand this also does not mean that I can't appreciate greatness of MVD or Vinge when I see it (although probably less emphatic than when compatriots show it).

Last edited:
No, he didn’t.

View: https://x.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1794457699419058321

The weight of Pogacar or any other rider, is irrelevant. The comparation between perfomances is in a padron weight. Ammattipyoraily uses always "65"kg. LR guys "60 kg".
Yes, he probably did. This is wrong! I went back to rewatch the stage and when Pogacar attacked, Pellizari was 5.4 km away from the top so Pogacar who was 45-50" behind, probably was at 5.6/5.7 km. I clock my watch when he attacked and he took 15'24" to reach the top, 7" less than 15'31" given by Velon CC. Please, don't try to undervalue Pogacar's performance just because you don't like him. If you have facts, it is okay to argue against but if you have not, you shouldn't be writing some things.

Fos

Apr 11, 2024
Visit site
Yes, he probably did. This is wrong! I went back to rewatch the stage and when Pogacar attacked, Pellizari was 5.4 km away from the top so Pogacar who was 45-50" behind, probably was at 5.6/5.7 km. I clock my watch when he attacked and he took 15'24" to reach the top, 7" less than 15'31" given by Velon CC. Please, don't try to undervalue Pogacar's performance just because you don't like him. If you have facts, it is okay to argue against but if you have not, you shouldn't be writing some things.
I want to add that while he was climbing he fought the fans, did high five with the children and talk to Pellizzari for towing.... It is evident that he could have gone faster.

some live in denial,pog is different level this year.he basically matched jonas best two times in this giro.stage 15 more impressive than loze,jonas looked dead,pog still had reserve.stage 2 attack his best pouncher effort of his career and best flat tt in his life.now easy part is over and hard part begins.week off and than absolutelly smashing that alttitude camp.different than jonas and kuss last year.people dont understand pogs mental strenght(no comp to jonas) and his elite physical recovery.if he wins tour,than its gonna be hard decision between OI and vuelta.every 4 years vs never been done before.i know,what i would be doing,lmao.

some live in denial,pog is different level this year.he basically matched jonas best two times in this giro.stage 15 more impressive than loze,jonas looked dead,pog still had reserve.stage 2 attack his best pouncher effort of his career and best flat tt in his life.now easy part is over and hard part begins.week off and than absolutelly smashing that alttitude camp.different than jonas and kuss last year.people dont understand pogs mental strenght(no comp to jonas) and his elite physical recovery.if he wins giro,than its gonna be hard decision between OI and vuelta.every 4 years vs never been done before.i know,what i would be doing,lmao.
I think you are right but Vuelta no chance this year.

Out of the pink, for now.
PS: They added a new mural for him in Rome.

GOlkiinWoAAbL9S

Ammattipyoraily clocked 15:26 s.

Actually not. Pogacar did very good perfomances, not just on Monte Grappa, but also in the time trials and Foscagno.

He did a good perfomance on Grappa, i just said he did far from 6.9 w/kg in the last 15 min according to ammattipyoraily, but doesn't mean he did a bad perfomance.

• Haha
Reactions: Salvarani
some live in denial,pog is different level this year.he basically matched jonas best two times in this giro.stage 15 more impressive than loze,jonas looked dead,pog still had reserve.stage 2 attack his best pouncher effort of his career and best flat tt in his life.now easy part is over and hard part begins.week off and than absolutelly smashing that alttitude camp.different than jonas and kuss last year.people dont understand pogs mental strenght(no comp to jonas) and his elite physical recovery.if he wins tour,than its gonna be hard decision between OI and vuelta.every 4 years vs never been done before.i know,what i would be doing,lmao.
Olympics chicaban race too close to the tour. Pogi will be more tormented by the vuelta vs worlds. I’d like to see him ride rhe veulta with stated purpose to leave early or stay if it won’t imperile worlds. His biggest stated goal this season is world championship RR

Reactions: snipeheem
Didnt see the stage but it popped all over instagram everywhere so i got the message lets say it like that haha..:

Saw Pellizarri had his best day of his career so far: https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/20...and-a-second-place-on-his-giro-ditalia-debut/

''Pellizzari recalled. My brother messaged me 'Find a way to get Pogačar's sunglasses' so I came into the tent and asked for them. He also gave me his maglia rosa. I wished him all the best – he's great, the best in history.

Guy seemed more happy to get pogacars jersey than he would had he won, you dont see that in cycling what a moment
Pogacar said Pellizzari showed him a photo they took together at Strade Bianche in 2019

Actually not. Pogacar did very good perfomances, not just on Monte Grappa, but also in the time trials and Foscagno.

He did a good perfomance on Grappa, i just said he did far from 6.9 w/kg in the last 15 min according to ammattipyoraily, but doesn't mean he did a bad perfomance.
But they count the last 5.4 km and that's not true at all. He attacks when Pellizari is at 5.4 km to the top, so he did that time in 5.6/5.7 km.

I think I mentioned it before but keep in mind about 1 km of nearly flat/downhill during the Grappa climb (and about 700 m of it in the last few km), which isn't typical for other, especially shorter climbs. I'm not sure about w/kg algorithm used (did they include it or not) but it's certain that VAM is affected by a few dozen of vertical meters: 1720 m/h for the whole climb translates to roughly 1760-1780 m/h of actual vertical speed (which is very impressive for a 50 minute effort and for an 8%+ climb usually indicates about 6.3 w/kg). For the last section relative VAM difference can be even bigger.

Last edited:
I think I mentioned it before but keep in mind about 1 km of nearly flat/downhill during the Grappa climb (and about 700 m of it in the last few km), which isn't typical for other, especially shorter climbs. I'm not sure about w/kg algorithm used (did they include it or not) but it's certain that VAM is affected by a few dozen of vertical meters: 1720 m/h for the whole climb translates to roughly 1760-1780 m/h of actual vertical speed (which is very impressive for a 50 minute effort and for an 8%-ish climb usually indicates about 6.3 w/kg). For the last section relative VAM difference can be even bigger.
You can't just substract the time at 0W off and pretend it's a continuous effort cause you're refueling muscles and clearing lactic acid.

I'm fairly sure VAM to W/kg is just the starting point and then they crossreference with riders uploading their power on Strava

You can't just substract the time at 0W off and pretend it's a continuous effort cause you're refueling muscles and clearing lactic acid.

I'm fairly sure VAM to W/kg is just the starting point and then they crossreference with riders uploading their power on Strava

OTOH one can't add additional kilometer of non-climbing and assume that average VAM won't drop. When riders were riding for few dozens of seconds on flattish section it wasn't total rest - even if power was below threshold they were still pushing almost without VAM and would've climbed some meters in this time. As for a short downhill, yes, a rest, but keep in mind that in this case a certain elevation gain had to be climbed twice (even if it's just 10-20 meters, it matters for the final result).

As for the second paragraph, maybe it's the way you say indeed. Extrapolation from known Strava data points to unknown Pogi's.

Last edited:
I think I mentioned it before but keep in mind about 1 km of nearly flat/downhill during the Grappa climb (and about 700 m of it in the last few km), which isn't typical for other, especially shorter climbs. I'm not sure about w/kg algorithm used (did they include it or not) but it's certain that VAM is affected by a few dozen of vertical meters: 1720 m/h for the whole climb translates to roughly 1760-1780 m/h of actual vertical speed (which is very impressive for a 50 minute effort and for an 8%+ climb usually indicates about 6.3 w/kg). For the last section relative VAM difference can be even bigger.

View: https://x.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1794462992945275214

He’s doing both
Very short time between the Tour and the Olympics, only two weeks. Sounds quite hard with such a short recovery / prep for such a large event.

The Olympic course seems somewhat less hard than last year's WC race in Glasgow with 273K and 2800 alt mtrs vs 271K and 3570 alt mtrs yet it looks hard enough.

Will Pog prove to have an extraordinary recovery ability and still be competitive despite having (potentially) finished two grand tours within the duration of eleven weeks?