• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 603 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Isn't that the exact same one that said leave the racing to Roglic like a year ago?
Fx7kYSoWwAMSx7A.jpg:small

Roadworks still havent been completed either, sign is still there on the right!!!

Incredible race by him, congrats. Most dominant GT in modern era. Now just safely navigating to the finish in Rome (without helping in the sprint!), then a deserved rest and then mission Tour. It's only May but a GT and a monument are checked. A successful season already regardless of what happens in July. Less pressure to win a GT from now on.

TBH I have no idea what will happen at the Tour: is it a part of perfect UAE plan to be in great form in both GTs? Or will Giro efforts have their effect weakening him at some point of the Tour losing the race to Vingo/Rogla/Remco (choose whoever you prefer) as a result?

If we think a little, we know Vingegaard won't be ready for the Tour. He spent 13 days in the hospital (he was even in intensive care) and then some time off the bike (I think 2 weeks). How can he be in peak shape ( or near peak shape) with 9 weeks to prepare the Tour? Even Pogacar can't do it last year with a wrist injury (he broke his hand 9 weeks before the Tour), how can Vingegaard do it with injuries way more severe? Tour is a mirage unfortunately.

So obviously Vingegaards preparation for the Tour would be far from ideal, even if he can start. But what I fail to understand is this obsession of comparing his recovery to that of Pogacar last year and using the fact Pogacar got beaten as proof that even Poacars preparation last year wasn't enough to win. That argument just takes it for granted that Pogacar could have been much better without the wrist injury which we have no proof of whatsoever. All things considered I think it's fair to say that he looked better last year than in 2022, so why should I think the injury made a big difference? Maybe a small one, maybe him cracking on Col de la Loze had something to do with bad preparation, but that's pure speculation.

My guess is, Vingegaard will not be good enough to win the Tour, but I'm not certain of that and I'm definitely not certain of it because of some comparison to an injury that left Pogacar in a shape in which he absolutely could have won the Tour. Some people wrote off Contador before the 2014 Vuelta, I'll not make that mistake with Vingegaard a decade later.

Last edited:
Agree. I am more thinking towards next year.
And that's hopeful projection...ing that I share.
Jonas' physical stature isn't of a former soccer player or ski jumper, used to taking heavy contact hits and recovering. He's built like the Danish climbing ballerina he is and his recovery is twofold: get all systems back to GO with no limitations on the basic ability to breathe. At that point you realistically deal with lost muscle mass and stature stability before you jump to some fitness regime that'll keep you from being dropped.

Bernal is a good case study for talent that had some back issues that also coincided with knee (?) and alignment consequences. He was always tracking several challenges to his best fitness and under a likely pressure from INEOS to keep riding or be out of contract. He is where he is now because he has no choice but be smart and measured. This is all my opinion from the sidelines but witnessing similar circumstances with talented athletes the process isn't mysterious. Even with heavy PED interventions this rider has to be confident the core is good or, for GT riders; excellent before assuming the next steps.

Jonas will field a team that can control the race and pace him back if needed. If Jumbo is as strong as we have seen in recent Tours, it will be very hard for Tadej to deliver on the double. What a feat it would be! What an opportunity! He can do it.
Visma have had zero luck with crashes and illness this year, so at the moment it seems Roglic and Bora are Pogacar's main rivals for the Tour. Also Pogacar's penchant for full gas racing might come come back and bite him if it's 30C for 3 weeks.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Great win by Pog again and puts the finishing touches on his Giro. Stinks he didn’t get to the 10 min mark (dang Narvaez) and crazy to think some don’t see an improvement from Pogacar when this isn’t his main goal and he’s performing like this especially compared to someone else’s performance on their secondary GT goal. It’s shaping up to be a great Tour for us viewers.

Visma have had zero luck with crashes and illness this year, so at the moment it seems Roglic and Bora are Pogacar's main rivals for the Tour. Also Pogacar's penchant for full gas racing might come come back and bite him if it's 30C for 3 weeks.
Maybe they’re drinking alcohol again for last years celebrations.

Great win by Pog again and puts the finishing touches on his Giro. Stinks he didn’t get to the 10 min mark (dang Narvaez) and crazy to think some don’t see an improvement from Pogacar when this isn’t his main goal and he’s performing like this especially compared to someone else’s performance on their secondary GT goal. It’s shaping up to be a great Tour for us viewers
I also feel he improved compared to last year. Not by that much but enough to challenge Vingegaard at the TDF if both of them would be at their best.

I disagree that this wasn’t a main goal. I would even say that his performance emphasises this. Doubt he’ll be this good for 3 weeks straight in the TDF.

I also feel he improved compared to last year. Not by that much but enough to challenge Vingegaard at the TDF if both of them would be at their best.

I disagree that this wasn’t a main goal. I would even say that his performance emphasises this. Doubt he’ll be this good for 3 weeks straight in the TDF.
At the Giro, Pog has had quite a few easy days. At the Tour with harder competition, he won't have a single easy day.

Before the year, at the start of the season, and during the Giro he has said the Tour is the main goal. This can be shown by how easy he’s taken the race. His level will be higher, it’s just a question on his ability to sustain it.

It was obvious from his performances that the giro was not the biggest goal of the year. Get back to oropa, everyone expected him to beat pantanis time but was nowhere near that putting just 26 secs on his rivals. But as his manager said he built his form throughout the race and was on top shape in the 3rd week. And If pog is 1kg lighter at the tour then good luck to the "big" 3.

Reactions: snipeheem
So obviously Vingegaards preparation for the Tour would be far from ideal, even if he can start. But what I fail to understand is this obsession of comparing his recovery to that of Pogacar last year and using the fact Pogacar got beaten as proof that even Poacars preparation last year wasn't enough to win. But that argument just takes it for granted that Pogacar could have been much better without the wrist injury which we have no proof of whatsoever. All things considered I think it's fair to say that he looked better last year than in 2022, so why should I think the injury made a big difference? Maybe a small one, maybe him cracking on Col de la Loze had something to do with bad preparation, but that's pure speculation.

My guess is, Vingegaard will not be good enough to win the Tour, but I'm not certain of that and I'm definitely not certain of it because of some comparison to an injury that left Pogacar in a shape in which he absolutely could have won the Tour. Some people wrote off Contador before the 2014 Vuelta, I'll not make that mistake with Vingegaard a decade later.
I agree we cant write off vingegaard for the tour and everyone reacts to an injury differently. In 2014 froome and contador had injuries with fractured wrist with froome and fractured tibia with contador which forced him off his bike for three weeks. We might say contador has the worst injury coz it was knee issue but In the vuelta froome was not himself for some days and contador was incredible.

I would say, the most difficult part of injuries is if they dont heal properly at the start of a difficult grand tour. it will make the recovery that u need for 21 days more difficult like roglic was in 2022 tour. U just can't recover after a day to day hard effort. Imo pogs crack on loze wasn't the less preparation but his still broken scaphoid derailed him throughout the race to just blowup in the 3rd week.

Reactions: Salvarani
It was obvious from his performances that the giro was not the biggest goal of the year. Get back to oropa, everyone expected him to beat pantanis time but was nowhere near that putting just 26 secs on his rivals. But as his manager said he built his form throughout the race and was on top shape in the 3rd week. And If pog is 1kg lighter at the tour then good luck to the "big" 3.
The goal is to be 2 kg lighter

Before the year, at the start of the season, and during the Giro he has said the Tour is the main goal. This can be shown by how easy he’s taken the race. His level will be higher, it’s just a question on his ability to sustain it.
I don’t agree that he’s taking it easy. Every mountain stage he took time, he went deep. He’s much better than the competition but that doesn’t mean you can freewheel to victory.

Just like Vingegaard goes deep to win his GT’s and 1-week stage races.

Reactions: jmdirt and Red Rick