• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 799 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pogacar may need horse power to chase a strong breakaway and control the race. This is where Rogla could be helpful as well but I don't think he will do it because of his (probable) free role. This is a situation when bringing two leaders can backfire for Slovenia.
And what about Mohoric? Will he just work for Pogi? He has won MSR, also shown he could win bigger 1-day races. Not sure he’s willing to sacrifice his own chances.

And what about Mohoric? Will he just work for Pogi? He has won MSR, also shown he could win bigger 1-day races. Not sure he’s willing to sacrifice his own chances.

Generally depends on race situation, if possible they can save all strong matches for the finale. If it's necessarily to chase down a strong breakaway then they will have to tell some strong guys to chase. If 3 guys are protected they can lose big time due to lack of chasing horse power. It's not that those 3 guys are equally good, there's no doubt who's the strongest rider in the team.

Mohoric already stated he will work for the team as they want first rainbow jersey for Slovenia. Team will have several different scenarios but I would never doubt his willingness to sacrifice himself for his captain(s).

That's pretty obvious to everyone. Still I'm curious how you'd even use Roglic specifically as a domestique.

Roglic' main use to Pogacar I think is if Pogacar is out of positino when Evenepoel attacks, or when Pogacar and Evenepoel get away and simply get caught because Evenepoel refuses to pull with Pogacar. Both are unlikely scenarios.
You could also use him within the peloton to wheel suck Remco as psychological warfare.

Reactions: chickenlips
He won Liege, it was 257km
That was 4 years ago and during a strange season (Covid 19). You are just begging to not see Pogacar winning, aren't you? You are trying to find every explanation to not see Slovenia full working for Tadej. It is Mohoric, Roglic. Relax man, Remco has a chance and if he wants to be respected as one of the best, he needs to beat Pogacar sometimes. You should believe more in Remco

Believe it or not, WC (either TT or RR) is one of the only things remaining for Slovenia to win in cycling. Oh, and the Olympic RR gold (depending on Urška and her boyfriend). And Paris-Roubaix.

Best results for Slovenia in WC are silver in ITT(Roglič 2017) and bronze in RR (2001 Hauptman, 2023 Pogi).

January 2016, Slovenia had 0 GT's, 0 Monuments, 0 Classics, 0 gold medals (OG or WC), even 0 Tour stages. We had a Dauphine win (2010 Brajkovič), a Giro stage (2014 Mezgec) and Swiss tour (Špilak 2015).

Later that fabulous year 2016, Giro happened and - bam - Rogla won an ITT stage. And then a Tour stage next year, no less than the Galibier with that downhill chase by Froome and co.
It all went uphill from there. Other guys started winning as well.

We now have 3xTour, 4xVuelta, 2xGiro, 3xLombardia, 3xLBL, 1xFlanders, 1xMSR (Mohorič), Olympic gold (ITT Roglič), all UCI week races (multiple times) and so on.

So I'm hoping the guys can work together, since that kind of opportunity might not happen again in the next 100 years. I hope this mega superstar power will not annihilate itself.

Then again, Pogi can probably win a WC in his career even without team support.

That was 4 years ago and during a strange season (Covid 19). You are just begging to not see Pogacar winning, aren't you? You are trying to find every explanation to not see Slovenia full working for Tadej. It is Mohoric, Roglic. Relax man, Remco has a chance and if he wants to be respected as one of the best, he needs to beat Pogacar sometimes. You should believe more in Remco
I’m not begging to see Pogacar lose. First and foremost I want Evenepoel to win, I don’t care how. If he can’t win, may the best man win.

Just because I don’t expect Slovenia to put all their eggs in a single basket, doesn’t make me want Pogacar to lose. Do you know which country also doesn’t put all their eggs in 1 basket? Belgium. Van Gils will get a free role.

But I get it, this is the Pogacar topic and anything goes here. I’ll create a topic for the WC tomorrow to discuss actual possible scenarios there.

By real logic that would place Russell in the Merckx camp since Armstrong never won any pro race without cheating. None, Nada.
No reference to cheating and who would have won what if everybody played it fair.
And everybody knows sir Eddy was cheated in Italy, he cried real tears for sake;
Eddy was a statistic anomaly and Teddy will probably be one to. Both of them more then Jordan and James wil ever be. Rather put them in the Bradman, Taylor, Nicklaus category.
If Teddy keeps it up. Look how deep the tiger has sunk. Is he still a GOAT? For sure not the GOAT in golf?