• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tadej Pogacar and Mauro Giannetti

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 18, 2012
Visit site
Well. Tonight was one of those "do you remember when" moments. Pantani, Ricci, Floyd, Schleck, Pogacar. I could go on. I'd say Floydesque

Quite sad, his DS should have told him to not make it so obvious. When he is busted , sorry, when they are busted in a few years time, inevitably, it will be quite sad. I think 2020 will be another year with a * denoting no winner recognised

So who do you think was the closest to being legitimate this tour....Yates, Quintana, Barguil?

That's not actually as bad as I thought it would be. 20 seconds on Porte in 16 minutes. Van Aert in third.

I know it's a cliche; but is this just a really weak field?
That's only the climb and does not account for the effort/time for the first two thirds+ of the race. TP smoked everyone. RP paced the first part and hit the climb harder, TD did better on the first part and lost on the climb (and no bike change). TP just went nuclear and put 1:21 to almost 3 into the whole tope 10.

But let's just say the rest of the field was weak ;)

The best joke of all: check Pogacars ITT record in 2018:

His time at the u23 race wasn't good enough to get on the juniors podium.
He was 1:11 slower than Evenepoel in the junior race who rode with restricted gears.

Such an amazing talent.

Rog could have beat TD in the TT (great job) and still lost the Tour. And TP lost 1+ in the crosswinds!

TD must be thinking - I sacrificed myself and wanted to be on a tour winning team and we still lost

Dumo would have had a real shot at the podium if he’d raced differently but that’s it. Just didn’t have it IMO. But still, taking a massive pay cut, domming relentlessly at the expense of your own performance, just to help a teammate get second, the same places you’d gotten a couple of years earlier after the Giro must be crushing. I think he is buds with Roglic too so is probably devastated on a personal level for him.

Reactions: perico
That's only the climb and does not account for the effort/time for the first two thirds+ of the race. TP smoked everyone. RP paced the first part and hit the climb harder, TD did better on the first part and lost on the climb (and no bike change). TP just went nuclear and put 1:21 to almost 3 into the whole tope 10.

But let's just say the rest of the field was weak ;)
Well you haven't answered the question. Do you think it's a weak field or not. What would peak Froome or Thomas had done here?

If we're talking pure numbers, Porte is now better than when he finished 50s down on Froome despite doing the dirty work for him.
I'm not really sure what that tells us to be honest. By the way, I'm not really defending Pogacar here, it's an insane, pretty unbelievable performance. But just seeing Porte and Van Aert the other two fastest climbers, does make me wonder if the GC field is a bit weak. Roglic has a history of poor TTs in the last week. And Dumoulin has been below par all race.

I have absolutely no doubts that if Froome was in Pogacar's position at the start of the day. And Roglic put in that TT. Then Froome would have taken yellow by over a minute as well.

Whether or not its a good thing comparing Pogacar with Froome though...

The best joke of all: check Pogacars ITT record in 2018:

His time at the u23 race wasn't good enough to get on the juniors podium.
He was 1:11 slower than Evenepoel in the junior race who rode with restricted gears.

Such an amazing talent.
Probably dropped his stem a few mm.

Well you haven't answered the question. Do you think it's a weak field or not. What would peak Froome or Thomas had done here?
Sorry, did not think it was a specific question. No, I do not think it was a weak field. I think it was also a tough tour, so I think all would be knackered.

Part way through the stage I had wondered if TP had buried himself and would pay going up the climb, but given he also soared up the climb, I guess not so much!

I'm not really sure what that tells us to be honest. By the way, I'm not really defending Pogacar here, it's an insane, pretty unbelievable performance. But just seeing Porte and Van Aert the other two fastest climbers, does make me wonder if the GC field is a bit weak. Roglic has a history of poor TTs in the last week. And Dumoulin has been below par all race.

I have absolutely no doubts that if Froome was in Pogacar's position at the start of the day. And Roglic put in that TT. Then Froome would have taken yellow by over a minute as well.

Whether or not its a good thing comparing Pogacar with Froome though...
Which better riders aren't here and how do we define it? Roglic himself has probably been the most prominent standard in the last 2 years. It's not like a weak Dumoulin barely got beaten. Even sub top Dumoulin has an incredibly high floor in TTs and Pogacar was on level with him in the rolling part of an ITT. Froome won by consistency, team domination and being 2% better than everyone else and everything when it mattered. Pogacar just randomly decided to put 2 minutes into an intrinsically better ITTer than him.

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya
Which better riders aren't here and how do we define it? Roglic himself has probably been the most prominent standard in the last 2 years. It's not like a weak Dumoulin barely got beaten. Even sub top Dumoulin has an incredibly high floor in TTs and Pogacar was on level with him in the rolling part of an ITT. Froome won by consistency, team domination and being 2% better than everyone else and everything when it mattered. Pogacar just randomly decided to put 2 minutes into an intrinsically better ITTer than him.
I think it's a bit about context as well. For example, Roglic is an amazing time triallist, in the first two weeks of stage races. Not all that great in the third week.

Dumoulin and Roglic rode the climb slower than Van Aert, Barguil, Landa, Martinez, Mas, Bilbao etc... And barely beat an injured Quintana on the climb. They clearly were quite a long way from their best here.

I think we should try to put Pogacar's ride into some perspective. And shouldn't pretend that he put a minute or two into the best Dumoulin or the best Roglic.

Sorry, did not think it was a specific question. No, I do not think it was a weak field. I think it was also a tough tour, so I think all would be knackered.

Part way through the stage I had wondered if TP had buried himself and would pay going up the climb, but given he also soared up the climb, I guess not so much!
Yeah, this is what surprised me the most as well. Most GC riders were quite a bit below their best; some like Lopez and Valverde absolutely bombed. Pogacar's rode it like it was early on in the Dauphine or something, just looked so much fresher.

tenor.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Escarabajo

TRENDING THREADS