• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tadej Pogacar and Mauro Giannetti

Page 86 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I know that you like to come to this thread because you firmly believe pog is dirty ... always happy to entertain :p

The performance is one thing but for me the constant goofy, spacey, 'grinning like an idiot' cockiness before the ITT was something else & totally over-the-top tryhard levels of cringe, i.e. like he read a book titled "don't be like Lance Armstrong, learn how to smile & dance in the TdF".

It's the part of his presentation which gets the most praise as well (like "oh wow, look at Pog, he's just happy to ride his bike!") but honestly it's the part I find most wild & out there in terms of wackiness.

Either it's deliberate (& cringe) or he's really tripping like Jonah Hill in 21 Jump Street. People can label me a 'hater', go ahead (I mean it's probably half true because I really can't stand this guy), but I've never seen anything like this.

The performance is one thing but for me the constant goofy, spacey, 'grinning like an idiot' cockiness before the ITT was something else & totally over-the-top tryhard levels of cringe, i.e. like he read a book titled "don't be like Lance Armstrong, learn how to smile & dance in the TdF".

It's the part of his presentation which gets the most praise as well (like "oh wow, look at Pog, he's just happy to ride his bike!") but honestly it's the part I find most wild & out there in terms of wackiness.

Either it's deliberate (& cringe) or he's really tripping like Jonah Hill in 21 Jump Street. People can label me a 'hater', go ahead (I mean it's probably half true because I really can't stand this guy), but I've never seen anything like this.
I would also be smiling all the time, if I‘d win almost every bike race I participate in.

Didn't someone once suggest he recognised Pog as similar to having a gambling addiction or something like that?

To me he seems to like the game of it all. Like seeing how far he can push it, test his limits, toy with his counterparts etc. Like a kitten or a teenager. I never know if he'll grow out of it or not.

I've met those people in other competitive sectors and I have had similar features myself tbh when in those circles. The deceiving, or rather the experiment of it then is part of the fun. And it will give a really screwed type of personality. Because it's all about the game.

I'd say growing up with internet makes this type of personality traits more common. He probably would have been way more uncommon in the nineties. How we respond to him is probably partly due to our ages/contexts.

Reactions: Rackham
Didn't someone once suggest he recognised Pog as similar to having a gambling addiction or something like that?

To me he seems to like the game of it all. Like seeing how far he can push it, test his limits, toy with his counterparts etc. Like a kitten or a teenager. I never know if he'll grow out of it or not.

I've met those people in other competitive sectors and I have had similar features myself tbh when in those circles. The deceiving, or rather the experiment of it then is part of the fun. And it will give a really screwed type of personality. Because it's all about the game.

I'd say growing up with internet makes this type of personality traits more common. He probably would have been way more uncommon in the nineties. How we respond to him is probably partly due to our ages/contexts.

Interesting post (& thoughts). This site could use a "brainy" reaction emote for such comments. It's certainly not something I would have thought of, so hey, it's all good.

I could get the 'gamer' aspect as well (in the same genre), like someone laughing hysterically on voice chat as he chains record killstreaks in Call of Duty.

That would fit Pog's profile as a pro rider.

• Love
Reactions: noob

And the media buy into it/feed it. I think I heard Phil Ligget (always good for cringe worthy quotes) say something about pog not caring about the business side and just wants to ride his bike. Ummm, wtf?

Christ, this thread should just be renamed to why we hate Pogacar, next level stupidity
For most of my cycling friends and myself it’s not a hate issue at all. It’s just that we’re having difficulty believing what we’re seeing is any different from all the other doped fueled extraordinary results spanning the last 3 decades. I truly hope we’re wrong when we think Pogacar’s domination does not pass the red face test.

I think Pogacar is an exceptionally talented super doped athlete with a criminal boss (Gianetti) who should no longer be allowed in cycling. His 'I'm just super happy to ride my bike' attitude also screams "fake as hell". Just look at what happened with Dylan van Baarle in Flanders, or his attempts to be "boss man" in last year's TdF when he had yellow.

I think people by & large completely underestimate just how greedy & corporate pro sport has become (or always was?). This is a money-making "spectacle" & Pog is the new superman of the sport. He'll smile for the cameras & crush everything & everyone whilst his handers control his social media presence & create an acceptable public image for their product. So well done Gianetti for finally getting what he always dreamed of (Ricco was a failed test subject) & well done Pogacar for having the super high base level & 'moral disposition' towards doing whatever is necessary to become that aforementioned superman.

Also, considering the widespread phenomenon of "young super talents" in cycling, it's highly likely these kids are getting the best medical preparation from a very young age & launched into the pro peloton fully equipped, armed & ready to dominate. Gone are the days of riders with a DIY (do it yourself) almost amateurish approach before getting into the top teams & benefitting from professional medical expertise. No, youngsters are getting groomed early. That's just a theory of course but I believe it's close to what is actually happening.

For most of my cycling friends and myself it’s not a hate issue at all. It’s just that we’re having difficulty believing what we’re seeing is any different from all the other doped fueled extraordinary results spanning the last 3 decades. I truly hope we’re wrong when we think Pogacar’s domination does not pass the red face test.
read some posts above yours; seems like in clinic everything is allowed if you are a hater

Reactions: pastronef
Don't worry about topt, he just likes to troll this page.

As for pog, there's good reason to believe that he is both super talented as well as super doped. And riding for a team managed and supported by ludicrous dopers who have also led previous ludicrous dopers does nothing to help and everything to hurt the perception that this is a clean operation. And while he might be a genuinely nice person who loves racing his bike, it does seem that his image has been manicured to push that narrative really strongly. To the point where it builds a false dichotomy, that one cannot be nice and enjoy racing their bike, while also be savvy to the business side of the operations and dope. People are complex, we can be so many things at the same time.

And while he might be a genuinely nice person who loves racing his bike, it does seem that his image has been manicured to push that narrative really strongly. To the point where it builds a false dichotomy, that one cannot be nice and enjoy racing their bike, while also be savvy to the business side of the operations and dope. People are complex, we can be so many things at the same time.
This. So. Much. Thank you!

TRENDING THREADS